Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Switch to Forum Live View Judge Who Struck Down Moratorium Has Owned Transocean Stock
4 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2010 - 5:32PM #21
Grinandbearit

Here's a link to the PDF document:

UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
EASTERN DISTRICT OF LOUISIANA
HORNBECK OFFSHORE SERVICES, CIVIL ACTION
L.L.C ET AL.
VERSUS NO. 10-1663
KENNETH LEE “KEN” SALAZAR SECTION “F”

1Co 1:18  For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
1Co 1:27  But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
Co 2:14  But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
1Co 3:19  For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2010 - 7:54PM #22
TPaine

Jun 23, 2010 -- 12:45PM, Girlchristian wrote:

It's not that at all. It's really bad that so many are currently out of work because of this, but the solution is NOT to put a whole lot more people out of work as well. I know some people are only capable of seeing the "big bad oil corporations" as an enemy, but you're forgetting that those oil corporations employ normal people like you and I and they don't deserve to lose their job, because someone thinks their bosses are greedy and evil. Want to punish the evil oil corporations? Fine, but then you're punishing their employees and the employees families.

The problem is that BP has proved that there is no technology available for handling an accident at the depths they are drilling at. It only makes sense to stop the exploratory drilling on the other 33 deep-water sites until the industry finds a way to solve those potential problems. Let the companies that lied about having the technology to handle such blowouts pay the employees that would be affected. No job is worth the destruction of the entire ecosystem of the Gulf.

"The genius of the Constitution rests not in any static meaning it might have had in a world that is dead and gone, but in the adaptability of its great principles to cope with current problems and current needs." -- Justice William Brennan: Speech to the Text and Teaching Symposium at Georgetown University (October 12, 1985)
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2010 - 11:56PM #23
rabello

Jun 23, 2010 -- 12:45PM, Girlchristian wrote:

It's not that at all. It's really bad that so many are currently out of work because of this, but the solution is NOT to put a whole lot more people out of work as well. I know some people are only capable of seeing the "big bad oil corporations" as an enemy, but you're forgetting that those oil corporations employ normal people like you and I and they don't deserve to lose their job, because someone thinks their bosses are greedy and evil. Want to punish the evil oil corporations? Fine, but then you're punishing their employees and the employees families.

It's not about "punishing" the "big bad oil corporations" or "punishing" the "greedy and evil" bosses.   The despair over this horrendous tragedy isn't based on judgement!

It's about protecting the environment which every living being relies on, and that includes oil workers and everybody else

The Ixtoc blowout happened 31 years ago off the coast of Mexico and it took almost 11 months and the drilling of 3 relief wells to get it killed.   Ixtoc oil showed up on the Texas coast and can still be found there, 31 years later.  That ought to scare everybody.   There are now warnings being made public of potential catastrophes on the brink, as the one we are witnessing now, in Alaska, and on BP's other gulf rig, the Atlantis.  That ought to scare everyone, too.

iow...what TolerantSis and Tpaine so effectively said.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 24, 2010 - 1:42PM #24
theinterpreter

I agree with the judge that the offshore drilling moratarium should be lifted, with the exception that BP rigs are forever banned in US waters. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 24, 2010 - 4:24PM #25
TPaine

Jun 24, 2010 -- 1:42PM, theinterpreter wrote:

I agree with the judge that the offshore drilling moratarium should be lifted, with the exception that BP rigs are forever banned in US waters.

I would agree with banning BP rigs, but that's not the problem. The problem is that the technology to repair the damage if a blowout happens as it did on the Deepwater Horizon rig does not exist. None of the companies that are drilling in deep water anywhere have the ability solve the problem given the current state of the technology.

"The genius of the Constitution rests not in any static meaning it might have had in a world that is dead and gone, but in the adaptability of its great principles to cope with current problems and current needs." -- Justice William Brennan: Speech to the Text and Teaching Symposium at Georgetown University (October 12, 1985)
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2010 - 11:29AM #26
Christianlib

Right, TP,

BP is using state of the art technology.  And THAT'S the problem.

No one.  No oil company, no government, no oceanographic company, no environmentalist, NO ONE has a solution for this blow out.  Or the next. Or the next. Or the next. ad infinitum.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2010 - 3:56PM #27
Erey

Jun 24, 2010 -- 1:42PM, theinterpreter wrote:

I can agree with something like that.  Or maybe if they just had new management that would tow the line.  This is not the first BP disaster due to carelessness - but hopefully it is the last

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2010 - 5:22PM #28
Ebon

Jun 25, 2010 -- 3:56PM, Erey wrote:

I can agree with something like that.  Or maybe if they just had new management that would tow the line.  This is not the first BP disaster due to carelessness - but hopefully it is the last

Agreed, BP really is far worse than average in this regard although, it must be said, proper regulation would help as well. Oil wells drilled in our (British) waters must have mandatory relief wells, for example.

Also, and quite apart from BP or the current slow catastrophe, the judge in this case has a clear fiduciary interest and therefore, should have recused himself.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 07, 2010 - 12:48PM #29
Merope

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone.

Merope
Beliefnet Community Host
Hot Topics Zone

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2010 - 1:52AM #30
Karma_yeshe_dorje

Australians are surprised at the degree of conflicted interest that Americans accept in their officials!

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook