Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 17  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Europe's Latest Anti-Semitic Move
8 years ago  ::  Jun 18, 2010 - 10:37AM #1
rocketjsquirell

This one is anti-Semitic and also anti-Islam.

I really do not know why people think Europe is hospitable to Jews. 

Why does the EU keep trying to make it impossible to be an observant  Jew?

New threat to shechitah as Euro MPs vote  to label meat

The European Parliament has voted for new  regulations which will see  meat from animals killed through shechitah  labelled as "meat from  slaughter without stunning," in a move Jewish  bodies believe is  "discriminatory".

The decision, two weeks  after New Zealand banned the kosher slaughter  of animals, was made as  part of a proposal for a regulation on the  provision of food  information.

The amendment, specifying the labelling of food  killed by religious  slaughter, was proposed by German Christian  Democratic Union MEP Renate  Sommer, and passed 326-270  with 68  abstentions. The amendment affects  animals killed in Jewish and Muslim  religious slaughters. Shechitah and  halal meat is not pre-stunned.

Around  70 per cent of each animal killed by shechitah is not fit for  kosher  consumption and is therefore sold to the non-kosher market. The  new  regulations would mean such meat products would also bear these  labels.

Henry  Grunwald QC, chairman of Shechita UK, the organisation which  defends  religious slaughter, said: "This discriminates against kosher  food and  will have an impact on the kosher meat industry across Europe.

full  article here:
www.thejc.com/news/world-news/33177/new-...

or

www.thejc.com/news/world-news/33177/new-...

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jun 18, 2010 - 10:48AM #2
Abner1

Hrm, that doesn't strike me as anti-semetic in its motives ... it strikes me as anti-cruelty.  It is inconvenient for Jews, but I don't think that was the purpose.  Sometimes a law, while not itself discriminatory per se, can have more effect on one group than on others ... much like a law forbidding discrimination against gays might have more effect on religions that teach that homosexuality is wrong, without that law being designed as anti-those-religions.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jun 18, 2010 - 11:01AM #3
rocketjsquirell

Abner

Have you been to a slaughterhouse?

Stunning is a cruel thing.

Kosher killing is kinder and quicker.

It is pure unadulterated anti-semitism.

It is also anti-Islam, if you care about those things.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jun 18, 2010 - 11:41AM #4
Christianlib

I'm with abner here.

It is really dangerous to see every act, every decision, every policy from everybody as simply an "either/or" ."us against them," assault.

Not everything in the world is about you or your people.

As Freud said, "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jun 18, 2010 - 11:50AM #5
rocketjsquirell

CL

Since Kosher slaughter is more humane than non kosher slaughter, if the purpose of this act was to encourage people to buy more humanely slaughtered meat it is exactly backwards. Therefore, we know that was not its purpose.

There is no reason to believe that it is anything but what it is, an effort to eliminate kosher slaughter in Europe which will eliminate Jewish businesses (and Muslim ones as well) and make it harder for Jews (and Muslims) to practice their religion. There is no social good from such a policy.

"Just beause you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you"

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jun 18, 2010 - 11:53AM #6
LeahOne

Abner, you are most likely right about the motives of many who pushed for this legislation.  But that doesn't negate the negative effect.

And the fact remains that when procedures are followed, kosher slaughtering is less painful by far - the animal literally doesn't realize anything is wrong until it's dead.   So the labelling as such is not accurate.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jun 18, 2010 - 12:16PM #7
Christianlib

Note:  This appears to be a labeling regulation, NOT a ban on Kosher meat processing or sale. 

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jun 18, 2010 - 12:22PM #8
TemplarS

I don't know about the way laws are passed in Europe; but if it were the states, this would probably have happened not for religious reasons or even animal cruelty ones.  It would have happened in response to some campaign donations made by the meat processing industry, as another way of forcing the little guys out.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jun 18, 2010 - 2:03PM #9
Abner1

Rocketsquirrel wrote:

> Have you been to a slaughterhouse?

Yes.

> Stunning is a cruel thing.  Kosher killing is kinder and quicker.

That's highly debatable.

> It is pure unadulterated anti-semitism.

You have yet to show any evidence backing that up.  It doesn't seem that way to me.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jun 18, 2010 - 2:10PM #10
Abner1

Leah wrote:

> Abner, you are most likely right about the motives of many who pushed for this legislation. 

> But that doesn't negate the negative effect.

Oh, I agree about that, it will definitely have a negative effect, just as a law against alcohol consumption by minors under any circumstances would have a negative effect on young Catholics wanting to take communion.  I just haven't seen any evidence yet that the motives were anti-semitic, any more than the anti-alcohol law would necessarily be from motives that were anti-

> And the fact remains that when procedures are followed, kosher slaughtering is less

> painful by far - the animal literally doesn't realize anything is wrong until it's dead.

That's debatable.  While many Jews argue that the animal bleeds to death peacefully from the cut to its throat, I'm not aware of any scientific studies backing up the belief that this method is more peaceful.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 17  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook