Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 17 of 17  •  Prev 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17
Switch to Forum Live View Europe's Latest Anti-Semitic Move
8 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2010 - 2:48PM #161
rocketjsquirell

update on New Zealand

New Zealand Jews plan to fight for shechitah

SYDNEY, Australia (JTA) – Barring a last-minute policy reversal,  Jewish leaders in New Zealand appear certain to launch legal action  against the government over its controversial new law banning kosher  slaughter.

Six Jewish leaders were granted a 30-minute meeting a week ago with  Prime Minister John Key, the son of a Jewish refugee, to discuss the  fallout from the May 27 decision to outlaw kosher slaughter, or  shechitah. The meeting in Auckland concluded with the delegation  informing Key, who does not practice Judaism, that the small Jewish  community would be left with “no option” but to take legal action “if  there was no solution forthcoming.”

The prime minister “acknowledged that this may be the only course  open to us,” New Zealand Jewish Council chair Geoff Levy said in a  statement.

It now appears likely that Key will face a potentially embarrassing  legal showdown that has been described as a test case for shechitah.

. . .

Sydney-based Rabbi Moshe Gutnick, who supervises kosher certification  of products in New Zealand, described the ban as “outrageous.”

“Hunting is still permitted for deer and ducks, and that is certainly  not humane,” he said. “The government, using flawed science, institutes  a new code and the only people affected by this are the Jews. People  are wondering what their real motivation is.”

His comments came as the European Parliament voted to mandate that  all kosher meat on the continent be labeled “meat from slaughter without  stunning” – a move blasted by some Jewish officials as discriminatory.

. . .

Shechitah UK chair Henry Grunwald said his organization, as well as  British Chief Rabbi Jonathan Sacks, had been asked to assist with  religious, legal and scientific advice.

Describing the new code as “an insult,” Grunwald wrote in the Jewish  Chronicle, “It succumbs to the popular myth that shechitah is painful,  ignoring ample evidence to the contrary.

. . .

A number of legal avenues remained open, he noted. The ban appears to  violate New Zealand’s Bill of Rights, which protects freedom of  religion. It also could be in breach of the Animal Welfare Act, which  contains provisions for religious rights, as well as the Human Rights  Act, which protects against discrimination.

full article

www.jta.org/news/article/2010/06/27/2739...

or

h##p://www.jta.org/news/article/2010/06/27/2739782/new-zealand-jews-plan-to-fight-for-shechitah

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jun 29, 2010 - 3:53PM #162
JAstor

Jun 25, 2010 -- 7:13PM, mountain_man wrote:

Jun 25, 2010 -- 9:38AM, JAstor wrote:

You can continue with one-liners and quips or you can attempt to do something with substance, which -- criticize me though you may -- is actually what I did: post a sampling of actual government laws, studies by doctors and scientists, etc. in support of my position.

Yes, you posted some nicely cherry picked  laws and claims. You posted several really long posts. I've found over the years that the longer the reply; the bigger the lie. If you can't explain it in a few sentences, then you're trying to cover up something.

Good way of avoiding reading information that might challenge your way of thinking. Keep it up.

Jun 25, 2010 -- 7:13PM, mountain_man wrote:

Of course if you can't respond with substance, then, by all means, feel free to continue with the one-liners.... Some of them are occasionally amusing.

Why should I waste words on someone that refuses to listen? I could explain how the bolt to the brain instantly ends the cognitive functions of that brain. Sometimes it takes a few more bolts to kill he motor functions so the animal will drop. It's an instant death. But you'll just ignore that and claim that slitting the throat is quicker because it takes a few seconds. Well.... the last time I checked instantly was quite a bit faster than a few seconds.

This was impressive. You proved that you can do more than answer with a a one-liner. I counted six sentences. Keep up the good work.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jul 07, 2010 - 4:18AM #163
Merope

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone.

Merope
Beliefnet Community Host
Hot Topics Zone

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 17 of 17  •  Prev 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook