Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Meanwhile in Kyrgystan Hundreds Are Killed and More Displaced - But No One Cares
4 years ago  ::  Jun 14, 2010 - 4:24PM #1
rocketjsquirell

Meanwhile in Kyrgystan, hundreds are killed, thousands are displaced, but no one cares because Kyrgyz are not "Palestinians", both groups are Sunni Muslims and no one can figure out how to blame Israel.

How much time has the U.N. devoted to this crisis?

Is it the top news item on CNN, Fox, MSNBC, BBC? (Have they even reported it yet? - at least NPR gave it a mention)

In the face of actual death, injury, and calamity the world remains silent, while it continues to fuss over phony "aide flotillas" and phantom humanitarian crisis in Gaza.

More than 100 killed as Kyrgyz police are ordered to shoot to  kill

Kyrgyzstan's government ordered troops to shoot to kill as  ethnic riots engulf the country's south with mobs burning villages and  slaughtered their residents.

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/...

Refugees flee southern Kyrgyzstan

Thousands of women and children are attempting to  escape after ethnic violence    which is reported to have killed 171 people.

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newsvideo/78275...

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 14, 2010 - 4:53PM #2
rangerken

This really belongs on the World Politics board...so until and unless it is somehow related to the Middle East that's where it will be moved later this evening.

Rangerken, co-host

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 14, 2010 - 4:55PM #3
rocketjsquirell

Ken

I think Kyrgistan is still a middle eastern country, although you could argue that it is central asian and thus avoid the problem of why no one cares about the Kyrgys or rather why they profess to care about some people and not others. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 14, 2010 - 5:20PM #4
rangerken

I understand, Rocket... but you need to relate it to the Middle East. I know what you're getting at... the fact that if Israel kills someone it's news whereas if other people in the Middle East, or other places close by, kill each other nobody seems to care... but you need to make your case specifically. So please do that. It's your thread... so make it applicable!

Ken

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 14, 2010 - 6:32PM #5
rocketjsquirell

Turkey to the rescue?

Turkey to send Kyrgyzstan delegation to help stability

Published: 6/14/2010

Turkey will not evacuate its diplomatic staff from Kyrgyzstan, Turkey's foreign minister said on Monday. 

However, Turkey will send two passenger planes later in the day to  bring back Turkish citizens in Jalalabad and Osh provinces, Ahmet  Davutoglu said.

www.turkishpress.com/news.asp?id=352781

and the Iranian Connection

Kyrgyzstan: Authorities Seize Radioactive Material Bound For Iran

www.rferl.org/content/article/1079340.ht...

ranian Foreign Minister Manoucher Mottaki  has stated that the Islamic Republic wants peace and stability in the  Central Asian nation of Kyrgyzstan. 

He made the remarks in a phone conversation on Monday with the  interim leader of Kyrgyzstan, Roza Otunbayeva. 

"We believe that the maintenance of peace and stability will benefit  the Kyrgyz nation as well as the people and countries of the region,"  Mottaki told Otunbayeva. 

The Kyrgyz opposition, led by former Foreign Minister Roza  Otunbayeva, took power last week and dissolved the parliament. 

During the uprising, clashes in Bishkek and other towns claimed the  lives of 81 people and over 1,500 people were injured. 

Mottaki went on to say that recent events in the country are  internal matters and Iran will support any decision made by the Kyrgyz  people.

www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=123146&sec...

and from the UAE

Kyrgyz violence can mar regional peace, UAE paper

Abu Dhabi, June 14th, 2010  (WAM) -- Kyrgyzstan's problems could soon become an inconvenience for  Russia, Nato and the US if the unrest is not suppressed immediately. But  first of all attempts to control a spiralling ethnic conflict should be  made, commented a UAE daily.

"Nato commanders have been left reeling  in what has been one of the bloodiest weeks for them in Afghanistan.  Kyrgyzstan has been the hub of an important supply route for them. In  addition, the country also has a vital US military base, at Manas, which  serves as a transit route for supplies and troops. It is something that  has irked Russia for long. A Russian presence in Kyrgyzstan would,  conversely, also be a source of discomfort for the US military", said  Gulf News in its today's editorial."Bishkek's decision to seek Russian  assistance has put a twist to the current problem. It could turn out to  be everyone's problem right up to Afghanistan. A collective and prudent  decision is now needed", it concluded.

www.zawya.com/Story.cfm/sidWAM2010061407...

While the Muslim and Arab world worries about stability they do not seem overly concerned about the deaths of hundreds, and no one is rushuing to condem either side. Wonder why? 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 14, 2010 - 10:06PM #6
Father_Oblivion

Jun 14, 2010 -- 4:55PM, rocketjsquirell wrote:

Ken

I think Kyrgistan is still a middle eastern country, although you could argue that it is central asian and thus avoid the problem of why no one cares about the Kyrgys or rather why they profess to care about some people and not others. 

I read both Pravda and the Moscow Times regularly, so I was fully aware of this. I am also aware that Kyrgistan has a mountain range several hundred miles wide between it and the nearest country that could even by a stretch be considered the Middle East, so this thread definitely does not belong here.

Moderated by rangerken on Jun 14, 2010 - 10:20PM
The important thing to remember about American history is that it is fictional, a charcoal-sketched simplicity for the children or the easily bored. For the most part it is uninspected, unimagined, unthought, a representative of the thing and not the thing itself. It is a fine fiction...
Neil Gaiman
'American Gods'

‎"Ignorance of ignorance, then, is that self-satisfied state of unawareness in which man, knowing nothing outside the limited area of his physical senses, bumptiously declares there is nothing more to know! He who knows no life save the physical is merely ignorant; but he who declares physical life to be all-important and elevates it to the position of supreme reality--such a one is ignorant of his own ignorance."
- Manly Palmer Hall
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 14, 2010 - 10:21PM #7
rangerken

This thread was on Middle east News and Politics, but it really does belong on World Politics, so I moved it here. It's just too much of a stretch to keep it on ME.

Rangerken, Beliefnet Community Moderator

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 14, 2010 - 10:51PM #8
Father_Oblivion

Actually, less than four days after the sudden eruption of violence, BBC is reporting it as their #1 news story.

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/asia_pacific/1...

The important thing to remember about American history is that it is fictional, a charcoal-sketched simplicity for the children or the easily bored. For the most part it is uninspected, unimagined, unthought, a representative of the thing and not the thing itself. It is a fine fiction...
Neil Gaiman
'American Gods'

‎"Ignorance of ignorance, then, is that self-satisfied state of unawareness in which man, knowing nothing outside the limited area of his physical senses, bumptiously declares there is nothing more to know! He who knows no life save the physical is merely ignorant; but he who declares physical life to be all-important and elevates it to the position of supreme reality--such a one is ignorant of his own ignorance."
- Manly Palmer Hall
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 15, 2010 - 9:52PM #9
rangerken

current reports indicate a lot of may have been planned. I don't see it on US media much, but BBC does do a better job of coveing international stories.

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100615/ap_on_re_as...

the linked article goes into this rather well.

Ken

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2010 - 2:42PM #10
IDBC

Howdy 

I would like to know what or who is behind this ethnic conflict. 

I looked at :

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uzbeks#Religion

And 

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyrgyz#Religion

There does not  appear to be a significant difference between them.    Although they have had their problems with each other in the past.  

It might be that this is a proxy war between competing Middle Eastern countries.  I don't know. 

HAVE A THINKING DAY MAY REASON GUIDE YOU
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook