Page 42 of 42  •  Prev 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 42
Switch to Forum Live View Ban the Burka in the US?
4 years ago  ::  May 24, 2010 - 11:07AM #411
Amin21

It would be good to know if an inquiry or investigation was inititiated internally or was ongoing.

I understood from reading about his complaint that his current complaint was that he believed his financial issues were intentional...

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 24, 2010 - 1:59PM #412
Jstanl

Amin;

"I am not sure where else to go with this... we are all just really restating our own opinions at this point... since it is a philosophical argument..."

I agree, I think we have each stated our respective positions more than once.

It's probably time to move on unless someone else has a point to make.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 24, 2010 - 3:09PM #413
Jasr

Jstan...I would not like the thread to die out without giving you and Amin recognition for being gracious and respectful.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 24, 2010 - 10:33PM #414
Jstanl

May 24, 2010 -- 3:09PM, Jasr wrote:

Jstan...I would not like the thread to die out without giving you and Amin recognition for being gracious and respectful.

Thanks, Jasr.  I also appreciate your contribution to this discussion.  It definitely helped broaden and deepen the discussion.

Best regards, Jim

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 26, 2010 - 10:43AM #415
Jstanl

Not to extend this debate but to provide an illustration that honor killing is not strictly an Islam (or religious) issue but is intimately tied to tribal customs and the political control of tribal (and other traditonal) community leaders, even in the face of existing laws to the contrary.

www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/ar...

"They are using culture to stifle self-choice marriages," said Kirti Singh, a lawyer in New Delhi. "Each gotra consists of millions of people who are in no way related, except in the minds of certain elders. It is not borne out by reality. It is a long battle, but it has to be fought because we are a society in transition."

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 26, 2010 - 12:28PM #416
Amin21

and I appreciate that...

I have no issues discussing problems of the world and how they exist and are manifest in the Muslim world... that is a specific discussion...

as long as it is aknowledged incorrectly that they are limited to the Muslim world... which mostly is not the case.

I take issue trying to label Islam as the central problem... for a couple reasons... sometimes it is easier to change these problems using religion and new or different interpretations as a tool... take for example FGM in Egypt...

Religion can be used for good or ill... and since some want to dinegrate an entire religion... it makes it difficult more the Muslim community to work on itself internally without looking like an "outsider agent" trying to "inflict" change from the outside.  Talk like that makes it more difficult for Muslims on the inside to work with outside organizations and still have credibility.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 42 of 42  •  Prev 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 42

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook