Page 4 of 12  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Next
Switch to Forum Live View From the Beirut Daily Star - Syrian Scuds to Hezbollah?
5 years ago  ::  May 11, 2010 - 8:34PM #31
Ricky

"Saddam was PROUD that he fired and admitted it... if I remember correctly..."

I do not remember any such thing.  Moreover, there was no express UN authorization for it.  Therefore he had the legal right to shoot down any planes that violated his national air space if he chose to do it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 12, 2010 - 12:16PM #32
Amin21

So you are saying Saddam did not attempt to shoot down US aircraft... that he tried to shoot down?

and are claiming that the UN didn't authorize what the UN authorized... and that Saddam therefore had a right to shoot down the planes that he tried to shoot down that he didn't try to shoot down?

I don't know what to say to that at this point...

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 14, 2010 - 7:10PM #33
Ricky

There was no express UN authorization for the no fly zone. Therefore, Saddam did have the right to shoot down any plane that posed a thread.  Again, the record is unclear as to whether he did so. All we have is American propaganda on this matter.

By the way, I'm still waiting for proof that anybody has transported weapons illegally across any other nation's borders.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 14, 2010 - 11:01PM #34
LeahOne

May 14, 2010 -- 7:10PM, Ricky wrote:

There was no express UN authorization for the no fly zone. Therefore, Saddam did have the right to shoot down any plane that posed a thread.  Again, the record is unclear as to whether he did so. All we have is American propaganda on this matter.

By the way, I'm still waiting for proof that anybody has transported weapons illegally across any other nation's borders.

Er, I was under the impression that the cease-fire terms which Saddam signed specified the no-fly zones....???

You appear to be insisting on a level of 'proof' which is simply not available to anyone with your level of clearance.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 14, 2010 - 11:15PM #35
arabianwitch

Two things...

First, the no fly zones were part of the UN policy toward Iraq after the first Gulf war. Those of us who flew over those zones, and I did write and mean us, because I was one of a large numbe of rotary winged aviators who conducted night time flights from Kuwait, whereas the Air Force usually flew the zones by day, had no doubt that we were operating within UN rules. We absolutely did take advantage of the opportunity to recon areas that would prove useful when we invaded in 2003.

Second... Syria has either sent scuds into Lebanon for use by Hezbollah, or has let Iran use syrian territory to do that. I don't know which. It doesn't really matter. Hezbollah has scuds and the only way they could have gotten them, is through Syria. I'm sure Israel knows where most if not all of them are. My husband still has some family in Lebanon, though we are hoping that all of them will be able to get out soon. And they know all about what Hezbollah is doing, as do all the Lebanese.

Aisha

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 14, 2010 - 11:22PM #36
LeahOne

Thanks for the info, Aisha.  May it be well for your husband's family, in Lebanon or elsewhere.

And happy hunting to you and yours when the time comes - and a safe return!

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 16, 2010 - 6:46PM #37
Ricky

"was under the impression that the cease-fire terms which Saddam signed specified the no-fly zones....???"

Not according to Boutros-Boutros Ghali. See my earlier post on this issue.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 16, 2010 - 6:48PM #38
Ricky

"I don't know which. It doesn't really matter"

Maybe in your mind it doesn't.  But to me it does as I am not willing to see another million Middle Easterners killed over lies or other conveniences  made up in Washington DC or Tel Aviv.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 17, 2010 - 9:00AM #39
Amin21

Butros-Butros...

can state his opinion all day...

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 17, 2010 - 9:17AM #40
stevenlmeyer

Ricky wrote:

"...I am not willing to  see another million Middle Easterners killed over lies or other  conveniences  made up in Washington DC or Tel Aviv."

LOL,

"Middle Easterners" do not need "lies... made up in Washington DC or  Tel Aviv" as reasons for unleashing mayhem on one another. Latterly they have demonstrated a marked talent for finding their own reasons to kill one another. I have no idea how many have died in Iraq but most of the deaths were a result of one Iraqi faction killing members of another.

Of course, finding reasons to kill people is not a talent confined to the Middle-East. The Sudanese government has a pretty good track record in that department as well.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 12  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook