Page 1 of 8  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next
Switch to Forum Live View China Agrees To Sanctions Against Iran
4 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2010 - 7:14PM #1
Pareille

I hate this.  But I guess a lot of people are happy about it. 

www.thedailybeast.com/cheat-sheet/item/s...

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2010 - 7:30PM #2
rangerken

If the report is accurate, and I hope it is, this might...maybe...perhaps... get Iran to stop before Israel or we or both of us have to take military action. I can see us 'living' with a nuclear armed Iran, much as I would prefer we did not. I cannot see Israel doing it since it would be an existential threat to Israel controlled by fanatics who openly want to destroy the Jewish state.

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2010 - 7:33PM #3
Pareille

Yeah, it looks to be accurate Ken.  Here's some backup from Haaretz I found thus far:

www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1160130.htm...

In my view, as you can probably imagine, these sanctions are utter hypocrisy, so much so that they would be the stuff of comedy if they were not guaranteed to harm so many people.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2010 - 7:51PM #4
Amin21

I have my doubts that any weak sanctions China is likely to approve will have much effect except to make Iran give a finger to "Western arrogance"... and continue on their current course.

China and Russia have nothing to gain from a nuclear Iran... but they have a lot to gain in expanding influence into a non aligned country (or rogue state) with a lot of oil...  and alliance with Iran for China guaranties more oil resources...

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2010 - 9:27PM #5
Bezant

Seriously, they did?

I have to read up on this one...

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2010 - 10:58PM #6
Ricky

According to Guardian and CNN, China has agreed to initiate sanctions discussions, not actual sanctions at this point:

www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/mar/31/chi...

China has nukes so this bespeaks of hypocrisy.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2010 - 2:47AM #7
Pareille

Mar 31, 2010 -- 10:58PM, Ricky wrote:

According to Guardian and CNN, China has agreed to initiate sanctions discussions, not actual sanctions at this point:

www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/mar/31/chi...

China has nukes so this bespeaks of hypocrisy.

Not to mention so does the USA.

The article you linked from the Guardian says China has agreed now to come and help "hammer out a sanctions package".    The CNN article about them only discussing it was written before the breaking of the news that China agreed [CNN article is from 10 hours ago vs. my post is from 7 hours ago].

Here is a fourth article on it:

www1.voanews.com/english/news/middle-eas...

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2010 - 4:45AM #8
Pareille

Here's something I found on CNN just now; China invited Iran's top nuclear negotiator to China to discuss the country's nuclear program today (Thursday, 4/01/10):

www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/04/01/us....

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2010 - 9:35AM #9
Amin21
I see no hypocrisy...

China is not in violation of any treaties that Iknow of by having nukes... Iran is if they are developing them and not cooperating with the UN agency...
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2010 - 4:55PM #10
Pareille

Apr 1, 2010 -- 9:35AM, Amin21 wrote:

I see no hypocrisy...  China is not in violation of any treaties that Iknow of by having nukes... Iran is if they are developing them and not cooperating with the UN agency...

Well, that's just it, Amin.  Iran has been found to BE cooperating, in multiple separate inquiries by the IAEA ...prior to the recent new leadership there.

OTOH its chief accuser, Israel, has refused point blank to allow inspections and remains opaque about its arsenal at Dimona.  Israel expressed outrage when it was suggested that they should undergo the same inspections prescribed for everyone else.  

And of course the USA not only has nukes but has used them.  

So those are some of the instances in which hypocrisy is showcased.

However you might be - and I hope you will be - right about China, as per your first post in this thread.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 8  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook