Page 1 of 16  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 16 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Mad or elated that House passed health bill?
5 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2010 - 12:53AM #1
Jeanninehunter

The landmark overhaul of the country’s health insurance system is headed for President Obama’s desk.

"By a vote of 219 to 212, the House approved the Senate bill, then turned its attention to remaining matters, including the package of fixes, known as a reconciliation bill, that is to be taken up in the Senate this coming week," wrote Shailagh Murray and Lori Montgomery of The Washington Post. "The reconciliation bill, aimed at making the final package more palatable to House members, passed by a slightly wider margin, 220 to 211. The Senate bill plus the reconciliation package are projected to cost $940 billion over 10 years."

Your thoughts on the House passing the health care bill.

CNN video  | MSNBC video | Slate column | White House video | Politico piece

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2010 - 1:07AM #2
Erey

It is hard for me to feel at all happy for a plan that puts the entire burden on the middle class.

If you are currently uninsured - good for you - congrads.

If you already have insurance or if you have owned your own business and carry your own insurance - get ready it is going to get a whole, hell of alot more expensive.

If you are a pharma or health insurance company - W00t, W00t - The dems love ya - green arrows tomorrow.

If you are a doctor or other service provider - nothing for you! 

So thumbs up for health insurance companies and big pharma.

Thumbs down for the middle class and docs.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2010 - 1:31AM #3
jane2

Mar 22, 2010 -- 1:07AM, Erey wrote:

It is hard for me to feel at all happy for a plan that puts the entire burden on the middle class.

If you already have insurance or if you have owned your own business and carry your own insurance - get ready it is going to get a whole, hell of alot more expensive.

If you are a pharma or health insurance company - W00t, W00t - The dems love ya - green arrows tomorrow.

You haven't read or listened up, Erey. Sorry.

Additional taxes will be imposed on on those who are very upper-middle class or wealthy. Even the CBO agrees this will save trillions--yes trillions.

I'm upper middle class and I'm not one bit worried. I will help those with less and not worry much about it, but I won't actually be taxed much. I'm not wealthy. I am conservative in my spending and right now I'm helping support a middle-aged daughter out of work; she graduated with high honor from GA TECH. No one is immune from hard times. Get real. Mostly few Americans have done it all on their own for a very long time, if ever.

In truth, I have been priviledged in some ways. My dad's father was born of Irish immigrants in 1880. He earned his college degree playing first violin and leading a local orchestra. so did his two younger brothers, playing concert piano. My great-grandfather was a fire-man. My grandchildren will be fifth-generation college graduates. (My oldest grandson had perfect SAT/ACT scores as a junior.) We were fortunate but none of us ever sat on our duffs: we worked and loved our ability to do so; we also gave thanks.

This legislation puts skids under the insurance industry. What on earth have you listened to?

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2010 - 1:33AM #4
jane2

JH

As you've probably discovered we have two threads running on same topic.

Can they be combined?

Jane

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2010 - 2:05AM #5
Jeanninehunter

Jane2,

Just noticed a thread started before the House met, debated and voted on the legislation. I am a relatively new moderator and will see how to combine the two so I'm not confusing would-be commenters.

Jeannine

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2010 - 10:16AM #6
Erey

Mar 22, 2010 -- 1:31AM, jane2 wrote:

You haven't read or listened up, Erey. Sorry.

Additional taxes will be imposed on on those who are very upper-middle class or wealthy. Even the CBO agrees this will save trillions--yes trillions.

I'm upper middle class and I'm not one bit worried. I will help those with less and not worry much about it, but I won't actually be taxed much. I'm not wealthy. I am conservative in my spending and right now I'm helping support a middle-aged daughter out of work; she graduated with high honor from GA TECH. No one is immune from hard times. Get real. Mostly few Americans have done it all on their own for a very long time, if ever.

In truth, I have been priviledged in some ways. My dad's father was born of Irish immigrants in 1880. He earned his college degree playing first violin and leading a local orchestra. so did his two younger brothers, playing concert piano. My great-grandfather was a fire-man. My grandchildren will be fifth-generation college graduates. (My oldest grandson had perfect SAT/ACT scores as a junior.) We were fortunate but none of us ever sat on our duffs: we worked and loved our ability to do so; we also gave thanks.

This legislation puts skids under the insurance industry. What on earth have you listened to?

errr,, no Jane clearly YOU HAVE NOT READ.  If you make more than 88K as a couple - as a couple OK then it will be much more expensive for you.   so if you  make 45K and your spouse makes 44K then that equals 89K and now your already too expensive health care got more expensive. 

I don't think too many people think a couple making more than 88K is "really wealthy"

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2010 - 10:39AM #7
Druac

I'm elated that the right failed in their campaign of misinformation, misdirection and deceit.

But mostly, I feel relief.

Jesus Is My Savior...He Saves Me From REALITY!
---------------------------------------------
We created god in our own image and likeness!
[George Carlin]
"Reason & Logic" - A Damn Good Slogan!
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." - Steven Weinberg, an American physicist
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2010 - 11:01AM #8
Cryano

More nonsense and ignorance.

BMY is up less than a point as of 1030. AZN is up about 2%. (All those silly bus commercials probably.)

Hospitals are up but not THAT much and as of 1045 are starting to decline (early buyers have run out of stream it seems.) The S&P is up a whopping 4 points. Some rally!!?

You won't be retiring just yet on those numbers.

I wonder if the poster actually made those bets this AM. Somehow I think - NOT!

Religion is the longest running most successful con game in history. It works because the victims never realize they have been taken. They die first.

Although certain modern catholics are beginning to see the light.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2010 - 11:09AM #9
Unworthyone

Why did the AMA support the Healthcare Reform bill?  Do you really think that one of the largest lobbys in Washington would support a bill that would hurt their members? 

The fact is, perhaps more than anyone else, doctors know they and their patients have been f'd over by insurance companies for decades.  Just ask anyone in a medical office who is responsible for processing insurance claims.  They are tired of the status quo and rightly so.

I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend.  Thomas Jefferson

Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.
Albert Einstein

You can get anything you want out of life if you will just help enough other people get what they want. Zig Ziglar

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/03/29/opinion/why-i-m-for-the-brady-bill.html
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2010 - 11:29AM #10
Fodaoson

Mar 22, 2010 -- 10:39AM, Druac wrote:

I'm elated that the right failed in their campaign of misinformation, misdirection and deceit.

But mostly, I feel relief.

if I may borrow a word from the  electronic voice media "ditto" to Druac 

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 16  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 16 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook