Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View New Energy Technology
5 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2010 - 2:24PM #1
rangerken

Take a look at this!!!!!

www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/02/24/can-b...

If this new, technology is all it looks like it will be a tremendous economic boost to just about everyone everyplace.

Speaking as a chemist, it initially makes sense, and I'm looking for anything available abut the specific science to study. I will of course post anything I find.

Speaking as a former soldier, this invention would eliminate a whole lot of our need for foreign oil and THAT would eliminate a whole lot of our need...correctly or incorrectly perceived... to have our military involved in oil producing places.

Speaking as an American, the thought of our being able to completely dismiss as no longer impotant, or vital, or necessary places like the middle east oil producing countries, or any other oil producing country, makes my heart beat a lot faster... what a joy that would be!

Speaking simply as a human being, how wonderful would it be for all people to be able to get necessary energy without having to buy it from the oil producing countries... and to enjoy energy independence every where.

I certainly hope this isn't a 'hype' thing like the old, cold fusion scam.

This deserves our interest, our research, and our discussion for it may well be one of the hottest topics around... or, it may prove to be just another pie in the sky bust.

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2010 - 2:53PM #2
Erey

I think where there is a will there is a way as they say.  We won't ever be able to come up with a single form of energy and would need a mix of things. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2010 - 3:08PM #3
TemplarS

I've heard talk of this.  But there isn't enough info in the article to tell for sure.  In this sort of thing, the devil is in the details.

"Silicon Valley startup Bloom Energy showed off its new, heavily hyped technology, which harnesses chemical reactions to create energy."

Well, no, you actually don't create energy; you just figure out how to extract energy from various sources.  And: chemical reactions?  Well, yes, but the burning of fossil fuel is also a "chemical reaction."  You still need some sort of source from which to extract energy.  Even in hydrogen fuel cells, you still need to feed them hydrogen, which you then have to produce from some other source; ideally a renewable one.

There does, however, seem to be a novelty here, in efficiency if nothing else.  So definitely worth pursuing.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2010 - 3:31PM #4
appy20

This is why I believe in putting megabucks into the Space program. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2010 - 3:48PM #5
Stardove

I saw this on 60 minutes.  The funder of Google, Netscape and other business has invested mega bucks.  There are a number of are companies already using the Bloom Boxes which are proving to be not only green, but saving money.  The cells are made from beach sand coated with green and blank inks.  If you missed 60 Minutes the segment is linked at the bottom.

60 minutes just ran a piece about a company called Bloom Box.  It's run by a former NASA scientist and he's developed a small fuel cell tech that he claims will in a small package will power a home.  His claims are even being put to the test.  Companies like Google, eBay, FedEx, and Wal-Mart are using them now.  Google even has one data center in which all the the power is provided by Bloom Boxes.

Entire 60 Minutes of Bloom Box here

The target goal is to make the Bloom Box for a home around $3,000.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2010 - 6:37PM #6
rangerken

Here is a current AP article.

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100224/ap_on_hi_te...

I do so hope this is factual and not hype! That private companies are investing does make this look good... particularly since the firms involved (see the article) are profitable, well run, and not known for bulls--t.

Ken

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2010 - 7:05PM #7
rocketjsquirell

Ken

In my family a chemist is someone who makes drech out of gold.

The Japanese have been installing hydrogen fuel cells in homes for a number of years. It costs about as much as one of those reliable Toyotas. Smile o.k. a reliable Lexus Smile

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2010 - 9:04PM #8
solfeggio

I never read anything from Fox news, so in order to find out about the Bloombox invention I did some reasearch in other sites.  Evidently, some of the scientists interviewed were underwhelmed:

news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2010/02...

Others were wondering just how much this box will end up costing the consumer.

Also, is it environmentally friendly?  From what I could determine, it runs on fossil fuels:

in.news.yahoo.com/139/20100223/981/tsc-i...

And, it produces carbon dioxide emissions:

www.dailytech.com/Is+the+Magic+Alternati...

Obviously, many questions about this supposedly 'miracle' box still remain unanswered.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 25, 2010 - 12:32AM #9
rangerken

Good links, Solf. Thanks. I expect that we'll see many more in the following days. I'm looking for some stuff from the American Chemical Society (I'm a member) and also I sent an e-mail to several of my colleagues at the university and college where I do part time teaching. I really want to examine the chemistry since it's right in the middle of my field of analytical inorganic... with an organic component.

Anyway, again, great links and I'm sure we'll have more from various sources.

Ken

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 25, 2010 - 12:50AM #10
Stardove

What really impressed me was the cell are back beach sand.  One thing the earth has in abundance is beach sand.  Unless the ice caps melt and the shores around the world get cover up with water.  *Stardove ducks under her desk*  Wink

If you haven't watch the video at the link below I think it is worth the few minutes to help understand the Bloom Box.  It is not a 60 minute long video, just the portion of the show about this topic.

Entire 60 Minutes of Bloom Box here

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook