Post Reply
Page 6 of 8  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Global Warming - East Coast Storm
5 years ago  ::  Feb 09, 2010 - 12:11PM #51
TemplarS
Posts: 6,868

Feb 9, 2010 -- 6:02AM, hamerhas wrote:


And after billions of years of constant climate change the fact that it continues surprises you?






This seems to be a mantra of the anti-GW folks:  "Climate change is natural, it's been happening for billions of years."


Well,  yes, of course.  But lets look at some of what happened. The Ice Age was natural: Chicago, London, New York, Boston were under sheets of ice.  There was a natural climate shift at the end of the Permian which caused the extinction of something like 70% of terrestrial species and 90% of marine species.  The once-habitable Sahara dried out catastrophically in response to natural causes 7000 years ago; fortunately for the people living there, at the time the planet only had about 5 million people, so there were plenty of places to relocate; with 6 billion people now, where is there to go now?


So, number one, natural does not mean benign.


Number two, what appears to be different now is the rate at which this is happening.  For example (here: www.universetoday.com/2005/08/25/earths-... )  the climate change during the Permian extinction (attributed to natural CO2 from volcanos) took 700,000 years; and even at that slow rate (relatively) most species could not adapt. 


This evidence of the impact of natural climate change should not be comforting to anyone; it should be frightening. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 09, 2010 - 6:07PM #52
Erey
Posts: 18,940

Sen. Jim DeMint twitters: D.C. snow will continue 'until Al Gore cries uncle'


 


 


sing it Al, sing it!

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 09, 2010 - 6:15PM #53
mountain_man
Posts: 39,708

Feb 9, 2010 -- 6:07PM, Erey wrote:

Sen. Jim DeMint twitters: D.C. snow will continue 'until Al Gore cries uncle'


sing it Al, sing it!



His "press conference" at the latest climate change conference in Copenhagen. Only a few reporters showed up and made fun of him. At least he's comforted by the fact that he has Sarah Palin on his side.


Another funny thing about all this; people actually believe that attacking Gore is somehow attacking climate change. Not one scientist actually cares what Gore had to say about anything. They're just attacking a strawman and don't even know it.


And they expect to be taken seriously?

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 09, 2010 - 7:35PM #54
hamerhas
Posts: 1,084

Feb 9, 2010 -- 12:11PM, TemplarS wrote:


Feb 9, 2010 -- 6:02AM, hamerhas wrote:


And after billions of years of constant climate change the fact that it continues surprises you?






This seems to be a mantra of the anti-GW folks:  "Climate change is natural, it's been happening for billions of years."


Well,  yes, of course.  But lets look at some of what happened. The Ice Age was natural: Chicago, London, New York, Boston were under sheets of ice.  There was a natural climate shift at the end of the Permian which caused the extinction of something like 70% of terrestrial species and 90% of marine species.  The once-habitable Sahara dried out catastrophically in response to natural causes 7000 years ago; fortunately for the people living there, at the time the planet only had about 5 million people, so there were plenty of places to relocate; with 6 billion people now, where is there to go now?


So, number one, natural does not mean benign.


Number two, what appears to be different now is the rate at which this is happening.  For example (here: www.universetoday.com/2005/08/25/earths-... )  the climate change during the Permian extinction (attributed to natural CO2 from volcanos) took 700,000 years; and even at that slow rate (relatively) most species could not adapt. 


This evidence of the impact of natural climate change should not be comforting to anyone; it should be frightening. 




Who said anything about being "benign"?


Along that lines here is a pertinent statistic for you, one out of every one of us will die.


My advice is that you get used to the idea and you will probably live a lot longer.


What is "frightening" are fanatics claiming they must empty my bank account so they


can be about the business of rolling back the tide.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 09, 2010 - 8:50PM #55
solfeggio
Posts: 9,352

What on earth is that supposed to mean?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 09, 2010 - 9:52PM #56
jane2
Posts: 14,295

Feb 9, 2010 -- 8:50PM, solfeggio wrote:


What on earth is that supposed to mean?




I'd like to know, too. Basically he is anti-taxation, probably for anything not military.


I'm for using alternative energy sources because they make sense and many are not too difficult with our various climates.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 09, 2010 - 11:16PM #57
mountain_man
Posts: 39,708

Feb 9, 2010 -- 8:50PM, solfeggio wrote:

What on earth is that supposed to mean?



It was nothing buy hysterical hyperbole.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 10, 2010 - 7:41AM #58
Marcion
Posts: 2,883

Feb 9, 2010 -- 9:52PM, jane2 wrote:


Feb 9, 2010 -- 8:50PM, solfeggio wrote:


What on earth is that supposed to mean?




I'd like to know, too. Basically he is anti-taxation, probably for anything not military.


I'm for using alternative energy sources because they make sense and many are not too difficult with our various climates.




0


Agree, we have to move on from the oil trough, there are plenty of abundant energy sources to be explored; some more practical than others.


As an "intelligent" evolving species we have to get out of the current rut of dependence on terrorist oil.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 10, 2010 - 11:32AM #59
theinterpreter
Posts: 1,699

While it may be cold in parts of the US, it is warmer than normal up north. There is not enough snow for the winter olympics, so snow is being trucked in. Pretty soon the winter olympics will be a thing of the past.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 10, 2010 - 1:14PM #60
Agnosticspirit
Posts: 9,244

Feb 10, 2010 -- 7:41AM, Marcion wrote:


Feb 9, 2010 -- 9:52PM, jane2 wrote:


Feb 9, 2010 -- 8:50PM, solfeggio wrote:


What on earth is that supposed to mean?




I'd like to know, too. Basically he is anti-taxation, probably for anything not military.


I'm for using alternative energy sources because they make sense and many are not too difficult with our various climates.




0


Agree, we have to move on from the oil trough, there are plenty of abundant energy sources to be explored; some more practical than others.


As an "intelligent" evolving species we have to get out of the current rut of dependence on terrorist oil.



Marcion, I checked out the photos in your gallery... Amazing how the world is transformed with snow.... makes me wanna go out and play in the snow... grrrr... wish I had some!


Agree that we need to evolve away from petro fuels and continue to look for renewable energy sources. There's tons of wind in Wyoming, Montana, why not build windmill farms?

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

 Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 6 of 8  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook