Page 6 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6
Switch to Forum Live View USA is a Christian Country
5 years ago  ::  Feb 06, 2010 - 10:13AM #51
dblad

Feb 5, 2010 -- 8:10PM, Summer813 wrote:

Feb 5, 2010 -- 5:35PM, dblad wrote:

I think President Truman said it the way I and many other Christians believe.

When President Harry Truman wrote to Pope Pius XII in 1947 that "This is a Christian nation.", he certainly did not mean that the United States has an official or legally-preferred religion or church. Nor did he mean to slight adherents of non-Christian religions. But he certainly did mean to recognize that this nation, its institutions and laws, was founded on Biblical principles basic to Christianity and to Judaism from which it flowed. As he told an Attorney General's Conference in 1950, "The fundamental basis of this nation's laws was given to Moses on the Mount. The fundamental basis of our Bill of Rights comes from the teachings we get from Exodus and Saint Matthew, from Isaiah and Saint Paul. I don't think we emphasize that enough these days. If we don't have a proper fundamental moral background, we will finally end up with a totalitarian government which does not believe in rights for anybody except the State."

Please provide links for all citations and quotes.

Is America a Christian Nation?

CARL PEARLSTON

Pearlston, Carl "Is America a Christian Nation." Connecticut Jewish Ledger (April, 2001)

Reprinted with permission of Carl Pealston.

THE AUTHOR

Carl Pearlston is an attorney in the Los Angeles area, specializing in arbitration/mediation, a former professor of Constitutional Law, an Annapolis graduate, and a Jewish conservative active in various organizations including Toward Tradition.

Copyright © 2001 Carl Pearlston

www.catholiceducation.org/articles/polit...

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 06, 2010 - 10:17AM #52
dblad

Feb 6, 2010 -- 8:43AM, davelaw40 wrote:

Dblad, historically Christian Nation means Christian Theocracy; would you concede that the USA is NOT a Christian theorcracy and SHOULD NOT be?

Dave, if you would read my post without prejudice, you would know that I have said and continue to believe that the USA is NOT repeat NOT a theorcracy, Christian or otherwise and that it should not be nor should it ever become such.

dblad

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 06, 2010 - 1:52PM #53
TPaine

Feb 6, 2010 -- 10:17AM, dblad wrote:

Dblad, historically Christian Nation means Christian Theocracy; would you concede that the USA is NOT a Christian theorcracy and SHOULD NOT be?

Dave, if you would read my post without prejudice, you would know that I have said and continue to believe that the USA is NOT repeat NOT a theorcracy, Christian or otherwise and that it should not be nor should it ever become such.

dblad,

I know you well enough to realize that. As I recall, you were one of those who used to help me in my arguments with Friend!

"It is always to be taken for granted, that those who oppose an equality of rights never mean the exclusion should take place on themselves." -- Thomas Paine: Dissertations on First Principles of Government (July 7, 1795)
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 06, 2010 - 2:29PM #54
dblad

Feb 6, 2010 -- 1:52PM, TPaine wrote:

Feb 6, 2010 -- 10:17AM, dblad wrote:

dblad,

I know you well enough to realize that. As I recall, you were one of those who used to help me in my arguments with Friend!

Thanks Tpaine. Kinka miss ole Friend.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 06, 2010 - 3:55PM #55
TPaine

Feb 6, 2010 -- 2:29PM, dblad wrote:

Thanks Tpaine. Kinka miss ole Friend.

So do I. He kept this forum hopping. He stopped posting on almost the same day President Obama was Inaugurated. I've often wondered if there was a cause and effect involved.

"It is always to be taken for granted, that those who oppose an equality of rights never mean the exclusion should take place on themselves." -- Thomas Paine: Dissertations on First Principles of Government (July 7, 1795)
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 18, 2010 - 9:45AM #56
IDBC

Howdy

My challege to all those who believe that the United States of America is a "Christian" nation is to prove it. 

By the way. The U.S. Constitution was not the "founding" document of the US. It was the Articles of Confederation. 

I challenge those Christians to match from the Bible as many of the Constitutional Amendments as they can. 

Where for instance does the Bible support:

First Amendment: addresses the rights of freedom of religion (prohibiting Congress from establishing a religion and protecting the right to free exercise of religion), freedom of speech, freedom of the press, freedom of assembly, and freedom of petition.

Have A Thinking Day And May Reason Guide You Smile

HAVE A THINKING DAY MAY REASON GUIDE YOU
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 6 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook