Post Reply
Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Oral Roberts, Christian Evangelist, Dead at 91
5 years ago  ::  Dec 15, 2009 - 3:54PM #1
Heterodoxus
Posts: 145

Reported by FOX News.

One of the first duties of a Christian theologian should be to remind people to not read the Bible.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 15, 2009 - 4:15PM #2
Chokmah
Posts: 3,088

The same Oral Roberts who saw a 700 ft tall Jesus? That Oral Roberts?


 


 


 

"We thought, because we had power, we had wisdom"
      --Stephen Vincent Benet
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 15, 2009 - 4:38PM #3
Heterodoxus
Posts: 145

Dec 15, 2009 -- 4:15PM, Chokmah wrote:

The same Oral Roberts who saw a 700 ft tall Jesus? That Oral Roberts?



I don't know about that. The FOX News report was about Oral Roberts, the TV evangelist and founder of Oral Roberts University in OK.

One of the first duties of a Christian theologian should be to remind people to not read the Bible.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 15, 2009 - 7:34PM #4
Chokmah
Posts: 3,088

Dec 15, 2009 -- 4:38PM, Heterodoxus wrote:


Dec 15, 2009 -- 4:15PM, Chokmah wrote:

The same Oral Roberts who saw a 700 ft tall Jesus? That Oral Roberts?



I don't know about that. The FOX News report was about Oral Roberts, the TV evangelist and founder of Oral Roberts University in OK.





Excuse me, it was a 900 ft tall Jesus:


Roberts found himself engulfed in new controversy when he announced that he had talked with Jesus and that he was nine hundred feet tall. By the time comedians had finished with that episode, Roberts announced that God would call him home if his followers did not send an immediate five million dollars for his ministry. The respect he had carefully acquired after playing down his charismatic tendencies washed away in the years that followed.



 


 

"We thought, because we had power, we had wisdom"
      --Stephen Vincent Benet
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 15, 2009 - 10:51PM #5
Svetlana
Posts: 11,315

Dec 15, 2009 -- 7:34PM, Chokmah wrote:


Roberts found himself engulfed in new controversy when he announced that he had talked with Jesus and that he was nine hundred feet tall. By the time comedians had finished with that episode, Roberts announced that God would call him home if his followers did not send an immediate five million dollars for his ministry. The respect he had carefully acquired after playing down his charismatic tendencies washed away in the years that followed.




I remember that last disaster.  The deadline was approaching within days, and Roberts was panicking.  Comedians were having a field day, some of them being openly disgusted and not at all amused, saying that Roberts had made an extortionist out of God, who demanded a ransom or He'd kill His victim.  On the very last day, some millionaire in Florida gave Roberts the last million or so he needed before he had to admit defeat.  Part of me, of course, really wished that millionaire hadn't done that, if only to teach Roberts a a publically humiliating lesson not to be such a fool, but the other part of me recognized someone far kinder than I am, who should be admired for that kindness.  Roberts did learn to shut up and go away from that, so some good came out of it after all.  I hope and pray he became more reasonable as he got older, and that he had found peace in his relationship with God.

"No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it."  ~ (common sense)

"Never place a period where God has placed a comma."  ~ Gracie Allen

"I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"I wonder sometimes if we ever give God a headache." ~ Dontay Hall, age 8
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 16, 2009 - 3:04AM #6
Daldianus
Posts: 32,442

He was a fraud.

>> Feed your brain with awesome!
“After your death you will be what you were before your birth.” - Arthur Schopenhauer
"Eternity is very long, especially towards the end." - Woody Allen
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 16, 2009 - 3:06AM #7
DotNotInOz
Posts: 6,833

Oh, I'd say that Roberts had peace...well, a piece of the action, that is, almost from the get-go. He was one of the more adept at separating people from their money.


My mother used to say that he was aptly named since the man was such a slick talker.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 16, 2009 - 3:08AM #8
Daldianus
Posts: 32,442

Dec 16, 2009 -- 3:06AM, DotNotInOz wrote:


Oh, I'd say that Roberts had peace...well, a piece of the action, that is, almost from the get-go. He was one of the more adept at separating people from their money.


My mother used to say that he was aptly named since the man was such a slick talker.




Making money from the ignorant or desperate is shameful.

>> Feed your brain with awesome!
“After your death you will be what you were before your birth.” - Arthur Schopenhauer
"Eternity is very long, especially towards the end." - Woody Allen
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 16, 2009 - 3:25AM #9
Theo
Posts: 4,691

I didn't much like Oral Roberts, I have a good friend who graduated from ORU... he did not like him much either. OR was a brother-love-show Elmer Gantry style revivalist preacher... minus the womanizing aspects of Elmer. He started out as a Pentecostal healing evangelist, and later joined a more mainstream coalision of Christians (Methodists) in order to fund and get ORU off the ground. But he never lost his more flamboyant Pentecostal style, unorthodox teachings and associations.


I remember watching him on TV back in the 70s when I was a young man. I didn't like him much then, even though at that time I was a Pentecostal myself.


But he did have a major impact on many people for Christ, and I do not discount everything he did. He is beloved by millions accross the world, and I am not one to go out of my way to offend other Christians by disparaging the man. May God be with his family, and those who morn his passing, and may the Lord forgive his sins and recieve him into His heavenly kingdom. Amen.


~ Theophilus

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 16, 2009 - 3:42AM #10
Kingskidd
Posts: 88
Oral Roberts was a giant in the Christian community for so many years. It is easy for the national media to report the negative, or what they see as some type of Christian characiture. What not is reported is the thousands upon thousands of live that he touched through his ministry, and the education that he provided to countless students of Oral Roberts University. Human beings throughout the course of life is a mixture of successes, failures, good examples, along with not so good examples. In the end we should look at what was done with each life that God has given us and come to a well rounded conclusion. The national media, which has so much influence, especially on non-thinking people focuses on what they think is the story of ones life, and it usually is the negative, train wreck side of life that they think will draw the most attention.
kingskidd
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook