Page 1 of 26  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 26 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Banning Christmas is Anti-Christian
5 years ago  ::  Dec 08, 2009 - 9:36AM #1
Armwar

www.cphpost.dk/climate/91-climate/47679-...

That is the thing.  Well, we can't have anything interfering with the worship of the government God!  and that's what it is really all about.  

I would like folks to put up the stories they run across about the dismantling of Christmas, an American tradition.  As a Jew, I love this holiday!  I have my own, yes, and Hannukah begins on Dec. 11...it has its own precious traditions, but as a Jew, I am against the state interfering with the celebration of Christmas...what we see wide-spread in this country and abroad.  It is, in fact, not only unConstitutional, but very, very dangerous...the cult of the secular humanists eliminating competition, is what it gets down to.

Please share your stories and thoughts about this here...

As a Jew, I am against the anti-religiousness I see creeping up, or maybe even erupting, in this country.  Christians now, Jews next---oh, but Muslims and weirdo religions get a pat on the head!  for PCness-sake...

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 08, 2009 - 9:57AM #2
Jasr

Hoooo boy

First of all, this is in Denmark, not the USA. The Danish government does not answer to you or me, but to its own electorate.

Secondly, the Danish government is not banning anything. They are simply deciding not to display a religious symbol at an international forum attended by people of all faiths. This particular symbol is particularly inappropriate at this particular summit since it amounts to the ritual killing of a carbon-trapping tree.

Third, the Christmas tree is a fun tradition  but it is not Christian at all; it is pagan.

The Danish people can display this symbol of their pagan Viking forefathers anywhere in the kingdom of Denmark they want except the summit.

The right is getting pretty desparate if this is the only example they can find of persecution of Christians.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 08, 2009 - 10:07AM #3
rabello

I have no stories to share about the "dismantling of Christmas" whatever that is.

I already see houses decked with lights and such, it seems the rage this year is LCD lights, which are certainly eye-catching for their brilliant and bright colors.   I'm also seeing the stores decked out with advertised sales, and I am seeing the "Christmas Costs Less at Wal Mart" ads at least once an hour on the teevee.   Christmas appears to be in full swing, even with the economy being what it is.

The Climate Conference isn't the place to sport Christmas, they have work to do there.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 08, 2009 - 10:07AM #4
Amin21

In Europe, this kind of thing is generally far less of a problem than "separation of Church and state" in the states... Religious holdiays there are state holidays... the word Christmas is not replaced with "Holidays or XMAS" etc...

As "secular" as Europe is we have much more contention and polarization in the USA when it comes to these things and many other issues (Like Abortion for example) than many European countries...

In Germany, for example... Christmas and easter are national holidays, as are catholic holy days of obligation in some German provinces... Abortion is legal but highly regulated and restricted in later months...

Armwar...

I am interested in your opinion... but I am one of a handful of Muslims in a heavily Jewish area... it seems Christmas is pretty silent in the school district... I can only assume that this is because many Jews feel different from you or is it due to a loud active minority? 

On a side note... it is nice to be able to go to normal american restraunts where the waiters actually know what is in the food...

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 08, 2009 - 10:11AM #5
mecdukebec
This is the season of Advent.  Christmas does not arrive until the Feast of the Nativity of the Lord, on 25 December.  I don't care what the secular world thinks, nor whether it celebrates, Christmas. 

It's just another shopping season, and for the Right, another way to vent about its piety, whilst ignoring the poor, the widow, and the orphan; which, to listen to the Hebrew prophets, makes the LORD really angry, and judgemental toward a people who profess Christmas, but their actions are far from their hearts. 

Jesus never said, "Ho, Ho!" but he did however, have a Mama who sang a Magnificat that sang of the rich being sent away empty, the poor being exalted, and God making all things new.

Post Script to Wingnutery, Inc.:   If one does not know that Muslims count as their ancestor Abraham (the OP post opined in such luxuriant words that Islam was part of a "weirdo religion"), then one has shown how little one knows either the Hebrew Bible, or the basics of the Abrahamic traditions.

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 08, 2009 - 10:11AM #6
MilesB

Dec 8, 2009 -- 9:36AM, Armwar wrote:

That is the thing.  Well, we can't have anything interfering with the worship of the government God!  and that's what it is really all about.  

I would like folks to put up the stories they run across about the dismantling of Christmas, an American tradition.  As a Jew, I love this holiday!  I have my own, yes, and Hannukah begins on Dec. 11...it has its own precious traditions, but as a Jew, I am against the state interfering with the celebration of Christmas...what we see wide-spread in this country and abroad.  It is, in fact, not only unConstitutional, but very, very dangerous...the cult of the secular humanists eliminating competition, is what it gets down to.

As a Jew, I am against the anti-religiousness I see creeping up, or maybe even erupting, in this country.  Christians now, Jews next---oh, but Muslims and weirdo religions get a pat on the head!  for PCness-sake...

The Swiss just banned minarets. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 08, 2009 - 10:14AM #7
Marysara722

Dec 8, 2009 -- 9:36AM, Armwar wrote:

This is one of the most misleading opening post that I've ever read of these forums and I've read a hell of a lot of 'em.

To post this b.s. when it isn't even about the good ole U.S.ofA.  Ergo it isn't a "Constitutional" matter not that it really would be considering the separation of church&state anyway but really Gail, but then to turn it around to give the impression that this occured here.

Tsk, tsk, tsk.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 08, 2009 - 10:29AM #8
Jasr

Dec 8, 2009 -- 10:07AM, Amin21 wrote:

Armwar...

I am interested in your opinion... but I am one of a handful of Muslims in a heavily Jewish area... it seems Christmas is pretty silent in the school district... I can only assume that this is because many Jews feel different from you or is it due to a loud active minority? 

On a side note... it is nice to be able to go to normal american restraunts where the waiters actually know what is in the food...

Amin...I love your profile.

I hope Gail does not mind if I answer your question...school districts in the US are government entities and therefore should not create an appearance of endorsing any religion.

They also can't prohibit religious activity such as religious clubs or private prayer, which do not disrupt education and which are not coercive.

In my school district the school choirs sing plenty of religious songs around the holidays, but they are selected because they are good music. There are always a couple of Hebrew songs included in the repertoire, selected again for their value as musical works. Some schools might decide this is going too far. I would not agree.

Does your reference to restaurants describe a situation where, because so many patrons have religious dietary concerns, the wait staff is compelled to be able to explain the ingredients? I would say that would help you find halal entrees just as it would help other patrons find kosher ones.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 08, 2009 - 11:00AM #9
Amin21

Thanks...

I grew up in catholic schools... so I have very limited experience with public schools where my daughter now goes...

On the food... That is partly correct... I don't really do full up Halal... it is nice to know if something has pork or bacon in it... have it labeled or otherwise...

It is also nice to be able to get some good old fashion American style deli meet from the local grocery store... and make submarine sandwiches and other traditional American foods...

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 08, 2009 - 11:06AM #10
Christianlib

Ah, right on time, the annual, "Wah, Wah, Wan!, They're takin away my Christmas!" Bleat from the right.

Just as full of Reindeer Sheeite this year as ever.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 26  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 26 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook