Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Copenhagen Summit: 1200 Limos, 140 Private Jets
5 years ago  ::  Dec 06, 2009 - 9:43PM #1
geologist

The gathering of the world's foremost hypocrites, otherwise known as the Copenhagen Climate Summit, will leave quite a carbon footprint.  

On a normal day, Majken Friss Jorgensen, managing director of Copenhagen's biggest limousine company, says her firm has twelve vehicles on the road. During the "summit to save the world", which opens here tomorrow, she will have 200.

"We thought they were not going to have many cars, due to it being a climate convention," she says. "But it seems that somebody last week looked at the weather report."

Ms Jorgensen reckons that between her and her rivals the total number of limos in Copenhagen next week has already broken the 1,200 barrier. The French alone rang up on Thursday and ordered another 42. "We haven't got enough limos in the country to fulfil the demand," she says. "We're having to drive them in hundreds of miles from Germany and Sweden."

And the total number of electric cars or hybrids among that number? "Five," says Ms Jorgensen. "The government has some alternative fuel cars but the rest will be petrol or diesel. We don't have any hybrids in Denmark, unfortunately, due to the extreme taxes on those cars. It makes no sense at all, but it's very Danish."

The airport says it is expecting up to 140 extra private jets during the peak period alone, so far over its capacity that the planes will have to fly off to regional airports – or to Sweden – to park, returning to Copenhagen to pick up their VIP passengers.

And these idiots want me to give up my SUV?  Well they can shove that idea where the sun never shines.  In fact, I may go out this week and buy another in their honor.  This is a disgusting brood of vipers if ever there was one.

www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/copenhagen-cli...

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 07, 2009 - 2:06AM #2
Roodog

Something does not smell right in Denmark!

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 07, 2009 - 2:11AM #3
CharikIeia

Dec 6, 2009 -- 9:43PM, geologist wrote:

And these idiots want me to give up my SUV? 

I think you severely misunderstand the whole topic, geo.

To make an understatement.

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 07, 2009 - 9:42AM #4
Erey

Yes!  This is a meeting of our global leaders or the lackeys of global leaders and yes GEO they very much want to tell you how to live.  Which is fine because we all deal in wanted and unwanted advice.  But they want to go further and pass laws and make demands to FORCE you to live a certain way. 

But as you know Geo these are very special people so they should not have their lifestyles questioned on any level.  It is much, much, much more important that they control you than it is for them to make any meaningful personal changes themselves. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 07, 2009 - 9:54AM #5
nnsecu

Dec 7, 2009 -- 2:11AM, CharikIeia wrote:

I think you severely misunderstand the whole topic, geo.

To make an understatement.

LOL the whole topic is world leaders who are more concerned about the PR they get from this meeting rather than any actually change they may come from it.

The whole topic is one of the solutions to help reduce the effects of climate change would be to stop having world leaders fly half way across the world to hold a meeting that if "teleconferenced" would have had a fraction of the impact.  But see PR event explanation.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 07, 2009 - 10:31AM #6
CharikIeia

Dec 7, 2009 -- 9:42AM, Erey wrote:

But they want to go further and pass laws and make demands to FORCE you to live a certain way. 

Could you be specific instead of adding to the uninformed hysteria?

What laws will force whom to live how, Erey?

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 07, 2009 - 10:31AM #7
arielg

Maybe they should attempt to communicate with smoke signals or meet in the park to save on electricity and wash their hands in the fountain, eh?. Or move around in burros.

Society is not so egalitarian that everybody should live by the same standards. What is luxury for one is basic for another.

They are not there to prevent anybody from driving SUVs.  They are there to see how to slow down the excessive abuses that are creating conditions that are going to eventually affect  everyone. A limousine doesn't necessarily pollute more than a car.

From a certain point of view, maybe some of them could do more than what they are doing and offer better examples to the world, but their  shortcomings should not be an excuse to close one's eyes and reject the whole notion of a planet in trouble and the attempt to curb  the worst offenses.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 07, 2009 - 10:48AM #8
nnsecu

Dec 7, 2009 -- 10:31AM, arielg wrote:

Maybe they should attempt to communicate with smoke signals or meet in the park to save on electricity and wash their hands in the fountain, eh?. Or move around in burros.

Society is not so egalitarian that everybody should live by the same standards. What is luxury for one is basic for another.

They are not there to prevent anybody from driving SUVs.  They are there to see how to slow down the excessive abuses that are creating conditions that are going to eventually affect  everyone. A limousine doesn't necessarily pollute more than a car.

From a certain point of view, maybe some of them could do more than what they are doing and offer better examples to the world, but their  shortcomings should not be an excuse to close one's eyes and reject the whole notion of a planet in trouble and the attempt to curb  the worst offenses.

Noone is going as far as smoke signials, besides the smoke would add to grenn house gases right?  But their are ways of confrencing without flying around the globe.  The big multination confrences pollution is part of what greates those conditions that will eventually affect everyone. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 07, 2009 - 11:04AM #9
arielg

Noone is going as far as smoke signials, besides the smoke would add to grenn house gases right?  But their are ways of confrencing without flying around the globe.  The big multination confrences pollution is part of what greates those conditions that will eventually affect everyone. 

Conferences use electricity.  Electricity is produced by damming rivers and burning oil or coal. Everything is relative.

The point is not to arrive at an optimum point (which does not exist) but to go the right direction.  You never reach East, but it is a different direction than West.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 07, 2009 - 11:12AM #10
Amin21

Answer: World leaders have to be transported and provided security regardless of the venue or topic... the problem of Carbon Emissions is a MACRO not a micro problem.  It is also a technology problem. 

How would you propose they got there?

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook