Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View FOX NEWS Misleading Headline
8 years ago  ::  Dec 04, 2009 - 2:36PM #1
Unworthyone

Virginia Veteran Gets Extra Week Before He Must Remove Flag or Face Consequences

The headline suggests that a 90 year old veteran is being prohibited from displaying the American flag.  He's in a flap with his local community standards committee.  The 90 year old is squawking about 'not being allowed' to fly the flag.

However, if you read the whole article, at the bottom the city makes it clear the issue is NOT the flag ... its the flag pole.  Homeowners are all permitted to proudly display their flag, but they are expected to do so within the stated established perimeters.  The massive flag pole erected by the vet does not fall within the perimeters.  And it has to go.

I think FOX needs to re-assess whether they have been 'fair and balanced' in this story ... or just a pimp for an old geezer who thinks he should not be required to adhere to agreed upon community standards.  Fly your flag .. Just do it the right way .

“Some men see things as they are and say, why; I dream things that never were and say, why not.” Robert F. Kennedy, 1968
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Dec 04, 2009 - 2:42PM #2
Christianlib

Fox News is to news,

As Creation science is to science.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Dec 04, 2009 - 2:58PM #3
oneinchrist1963

Wow

All the other networks told people that the Iraq war was lost, was unwinnable, a failure.

for 6 years.

and we won.

never asked obama a hard question.

never looked into his past.

never looked into his birth certificate issue except Dobbs

never asked him why he spends 1.5 million to hide it instead of 10 bucks to produce it, when logic tells you he's hiding something.

never announces his relationship with some very questionabl people or questions him about it.

never investigates his appointments and many of his administrations love affair with Mao, radicals and communist separatists.

Acorn corruption and Bo's relationship with this organization and many other far left corupt organizations

And now this, spending so much time on Tiger Woods booty, that there is no time to report on what may turn out to be the Biggest Hoax of the last 50 years. Globalgate.

Which can only conclude that they are actively covering up information and covering for people.

And all you got on Fox is that they were unable to fit all the details of the story in the headline.

The thing about people who are kept in the dark, they're not very bright.

"We have staked the whole future of American civilization, not upon the power of the government, far from it. We have staked the future of all of our political institutions upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to the Ten Commandments of God."

James Madison

"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."

Samuel Adams

"By removing the Bible from schools we would be wasting so much time and money in punishing criminals. Take the Bible out of schools and there would be an explosion in crime."

Benjamin Rush

It is not only that Democrats are stupid and intellectually dishonest. It is that they believe lies as well, which dashes any hope of gaining wisdom.
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Dec 04, 2009 - 3:03PM #4
Unworthyone

Dec 4, 2009 -- 2:58PM, oneinchrist1963 wrote:

And all you got on Fox is that they were unable to fit all the details of the story in the headline.

You missed the point completely.

The headline suggests the vet is being prohibited from displaying the flag.  That is not true.  Therefore the headline is misleading.  Do you get it now?

“Some men see things as they are and say, why; I dream things that never were and say, why not.” Robert F. Kennedy, 1968
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Dec 04, 2009 - 3:05PM #5
oneinchrist1963

It's like you won't come out of your holes, in fear of the light.

"We have staked the whole future of American civilization, not upon the power of the government, far from it. We have staked the future of all of our political institutions upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to the Ten Commandments of God."

James Madison

"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."

Samuel Adams

"By removing the Bible from schools we would be wasting so much time and money in punishing criminals. Take the Bible out of schools and there would be an explosion in crime."

Benjamin Rush

It is not only that Democrats are stupid and intellectually dishonest. It is that they believe lies as well, which dashes any hope of gaining wisdom.
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Dec 04, 2009 - 3:08PM #6
oneinchrist1963

Dec 4, 2009 -- 3:03PM, Unworthyone wrote:

Dec 4, 2009 -- 2:58PM, oneinchrist1963 wrote:

You missed the point completely.

The headline suggests the vet is being prohibited from displaying the flag.  That is not true.  Therefore the headline is misleading.  Do you get it now?

no i didn't you missled the initial post, this is as fas as I had to get into the story to find out

A Medal of Honor recipient in a dispute over his right to fly the American flag in his yard will have another week before D-Day -- when he'll be forced to take down the Stars and Stripes or face legal action.

Ninety-year-old Col. Van T. Barfoot, a veteran of three wars, initially was given a 5 p.m. Friday deadline to dismantle his flagpole or face a legal battle over violating an order from his townhouse community association in Henrico County, Va.

James Madison

Samuel Adams

Benjamin Rush

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Dec 04, 2009 - 3:12PM #7
ZafodB

Well you do have it correct. The headline appears to mislead but is it intentional ,I don't know.

The real uproar should be that every other news outled has 100% completely ignored the climate email story. A story concerning an old vet and flyiing a flag is MOSTLY human intrest but the climate story affects everyone

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Dec 04, 2009 - 3:17PM #8
Druac

'Fox is misleading'

Thats like saying 'The sun comes up every day'

Jesus Is My Savior...He Saves Me From REALITY!
---------------------------------------------
We created god in our own image and likeness!
[George Carlin]
"Reason & Logic" - A Damn Good Slogan!
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." - Steven Weinberg, an American physicist
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Dec 04, 2009 - 3:20PM #9
Erey

This thread is splitting hairs.

How else is that old geezer going to fly his humongus flag if he does not have a adequate flag pole?  No pole, no flag flying. 

I can understand why a neighboorhood would be against flag poles but on the other hand the guy is 90 and has served in like a dozen US wars - if he wants to fly a big-ass flag in front of his house I would not argue with him. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Dec 04, 2009 - 3:25PM #10
Girlchristian

Dec 4, 2009 -- 3:20PM, Erey wrote:

This thread is splitting hairs.

How else is that old geezer going to fly his humongus flag if he does not have a adequate flag pole?  No pole, no flag flying. 

I can understand why a neighboorhood would be against flag poles but on the other hand the guy is 90 and has served in like a dozen US wars - if he wants to fly a big-ass flag in front of his house I would not argue with him. 

Exactly.  Fox did exactly what most venues do.  They picked the part of the story that makes an interesting headline to get attention and then explained the whole story.  Frankly, I think anyone complaining about the flag pole really needs to relax. 

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook