Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View
Locked: Who Gives More Liberals or Conservatives?
8 years ago  ::  Dec 02, 2009 - 3:33PM #1
Captainmarvel

Let the cage fighting...i mean,the discussion begin...anyone,anyone?

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Dec 02, 2009 - 3:36PM #2
Druac

Do a search, this has been hashed out on these forums MANY times before and fairly recently.

Jesus Is My Savior...He Saves Me From REALITY!
---------------------------------------------
We created god in our own image and likeness!
[George Carlin]
"Reason & Logic" - A Damn Good Slogan!
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." - Steven Weinberg, an American physicist
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Dec 02, 2009 - 3:37PM #3
Cesmom

I have no idea (statistically) who gives more.

I will say that, of the people I personally know in my own community: 

The liberals appear to be more generous with their time and less generous with their money. 

The conservatives appear to be more generous with their money and less generous with their time. 

Then there are those who don't appear to be generous with either...but they also don't seem to be real conservative or real liberal...more apathetic than anything, from what I can see.  I don't know that you could honestly classify them in either group.

Just my personal experience...

Our need to learn should always outweigh our need to be right

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Dec 02, 2009 - 3:59PM #4
solfeggio

Maybe the observations about liberals and conservatives just stated are true of behaviour in the States, but in my little tiny corner of the South Pacific, everybody - liberal, conservative, and everything in between - tries to help in whatever ways we can. 

Ours is a volunteering society, and we all pitch in with both time and money to help those who need it, whether it's donating clothes to the homeless men's night shelter, putting together boxes of toys for the women's refuge, knitting clothes for the preemies at the neo-natal ward of the hospital, raising funds for the Royal New Zealand Foundation for the Blind, standing on street corners to collect money for the SPCA, collecting food for the Community Centre Food Bank, etc., etc.

Neither politics nor religious beliefs play any part in any of this.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Dec 02, 2009 - 4:18PM #5
Druac

Dec 2, 2009 -- 3:59PM, solfeggio wrote:

everybody - liberal, conservative, and everything in between - tries to help in whatever ways we can. 

That statement is reality here as well, for those that DO give and participate in helping others. Not everyone does, but those liberals and conservatives I know and love in my life definitely do, as much as they can.

According to Gail on the following thread, if you don't strive to be rich (success), there isn't much you can 'give' but rhetoric: community.beliefnet.com/go/thread/view/4...

There is FAR more to give than money and 'things'.

Jesus Is My Savior...He Saves Me From REALITY!
We created god in our own image and likeness!
[George Carlin]
"Reason & Logic" - A Damn Good Slogan!
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." - Steven Weinberg, an American physicist
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Dec 02, 2009 - 4:35PM #6
Captainmarvel

Oh Dru,I agree with that too...alas,it seems even in time and other 'stuff' Conservatives give far more too...and it seems...THAT too seems generational and handed down as a family tradition too....yes Dru....Feeeeeling as i stated in other posts are one thing....Doing is another....now,why do i even mention thise things...because of the high and mighty attitude of the Liberals who think they are sooo much more UNDERSTANDING...and UNDERSTANDING alone is enough...Becuse in the short time here,i see how when put to the test of any kind...its always...feeeeeeling and of course Conservatives don't have as much compassion(feeeeelings)...it just in reality is...we do....and we do more about it....enjoy another www.hoover.org/publications/policyreview...   P.S I could find NO study that showes it the otherway around.....you do so on the left love 'studies'

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Dec 02, 2009 - 4:52PM #7
solfeggio

What is this obsession with trying to prove that liberals are somehow inferior to conservatives?  I mean, really.

Just what is a conservative but somebody who tends to dislike change and who favours traditional views?  Well, hell, I'm about as liberal as you can get, and yet I dislike change.  I don't want my life to change!  Like many people of any political views, I'm happy the way things are in my life at the moment and hope they go on that way.

And what about favouring traditional views?  Well, I'm all about that, too, to a certain extent.  I like the idea of such traditions as having a responsible police force that I could call if I needed them, regular mail deliveries, good schools for my grandchildren, doctors who know their stuff, traffic lights, supermarkets, and everything else that we take for granted in our traditional industrialised world.

And let's see: Conservatives are moderate and cautious.  Yup.  That's me, too.  I always look both ways before crossing streets, wear warm clothing when going outside in winter, am polite to clerks in stores, smile at little kids in the mall, and wouldn't harm any living thing.

On the other hand, as a liberal I'm all in favour of government looking after the common folk, subsidised medical care, keeping religious views out of government, and looking for ways to help find ways to combat climate change.

And I'm not limiting myself to just following the old views or dogmas, which means that I totally reject the idea that humans need to eat meat in order to stay healthy and happy.  And I reject the idea that people need to believe in an invisible deity in the sky in order to live a good life.

And so forth.

But, you get the idea.  Liberal or conservative - they overlap more than you'd think.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Dec 02, 2009 - 4:53PM #8
Jasr

It's a bogus question. Usually those who ask it do not even attempt to define "liberal" and "conservative." The best I've seen is the claim that residents of "red states" are more generous, but of course that does not prove anything since there is no granularity within the "red states" in question.

How do you even define generosity? Are people who write big checks to megachurches counted amongst the "generous?" What about people who fund opera houses or art museums or exclusive prep schools...are they counted as donors? How would you even analyze the relative effectiveness of a particular donation?

For those reading this who consider themselves Christian, I would submit that even asking the question...is asking someone to be un-Christian.

Matthew 6:2 "So when you give to the poor, do not sound a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, so that they may be honored by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full.

If it's not completely anonymous, then it's not charity.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Dec 02, 2009 - 4:55PM #9
Girlchristian

Dec 2, 2009 -- 4:53PM, Jasr wrote:

It's a bogus question. Usually those who ask it do not even attempt to define "liberal" and "conservative." The best I've seen is the claim that residents of "red states" are more generous, but of course that does not prove anything since there is no granularity within the "red states" in question.

How do you even define generosity? Are people who write big checks to megachurches counted amongst the "generous?" What about people who fund opera houses or art museums or exclusive prep schools...are they counted as donors? How would you even analyze the relative effectiveness of a particular donation?

For those reading this who consider themselves Christian, I would submit that even asking the question...is asking someone to be un-Christian.

Matthew 6:2 "So when you give to the poor, do not sound a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, so that they may be honored by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full.

Jasr is right.  Conversations like this aren't fruitful.  As a Christian, what I give is between me and God (and those that receive obviously) and trumpetting or bragging about what I give is not Christ-like.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Dec 02, 2009 - 6:48PM #10
Mlyons619
The conversation is indeed not very fruitful, as one poster has already observed.  It does not deal with any US news, nor is it truly a political discussion.  It looks to be more of political namecalling more than anything else.  In fact, I have done some removals already because some chose to make their namecalling personal.  This thread is therefore closed.

mlyons619
Beliefnet Community Co-Host, US NEWS & POLITICS
"No freedom without education"
            --Thomas Jefferson

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition"
            -- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook