Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Single-payer Plan for Animals
8 years ago  ::  Dec 01, 2009 - 7:21PM #1
Armwar

Do you think we should socialize veterinary care?   I think vet care (not Vet care) has gotten way out of hand, those greedy vets pretty much charging what the market will bear and all...bear, get it?   so let's quit horsing around with our tolerance of the broken animal healthcare system, one which is discriminatory towards larger animals, in fact, to a point where dairy farmers are complaining that the prices are now udderly ridiculous...

what do you say?  Shouldn't Congress take a look at this?  and soon?  before we go all ape...s over human health care?  Isn't that in and of itself discriminatory?  Humans larding it over the poor animals...fancying themselves such a superior species...and all...

well, enough of my musings...I think it so unfair to categorically deny treatment to any stray, beast of burden, or wild thing!  and I am doggedly determine to push forward with my proposition that all animals are created equal...

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Dec 01, 2009 - 7:44PM #2
Druac

No, but we should all be happy to pay for spay and neutering out of our tax dollars. I am willing to fork that over, no problem.

Also, we need to stop the puppy mills. I think we need better licensing for breeders so that scum-bags are not breeding and treating them like a disposable 'product'.

Jesus Is My Savior...He Saves Me From REALITY!
---------------------------------------------
We created god in our own image and likeness!
[George Carlin]
"Reason & Logic" - A Damn Good Slogan!
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." - Steven Weinberg, an American physicist
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Dec 01, 2009 - 8:01PM #3
Roodog

Shouldn't we focus on healthcare for people first?

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Dec 01, 2009 - 8:21PM #4
nnsecu

Dec 1, 2009 -- 7:44PM, Druac wrote:

No, but we should all be happy to pay for spay and neutering out of our tax dollars. I am willing to fork that over, no problem.

Also, we need to stop the puppy mills. I think we need better licensing for breeders so that scum-bags are not breeding and treating them like a disposable 'product'.

Not that i totally disagree, but the puppy mills are products of our society that would prefer to have a designer dog/pet that is more of a fashion statement than a loved pet. So many pets like dogs, fish, snakes, and reptiles start out as small little fun play things but grow into big animals that no longer fit the owners lifestyle.  The people are the real problem and the pets are the victims. Simple supply and demand, cut the demand and the supply will dry up, demand is what is driving this market.

I think an argument may be made that services such as spa/neuter, rabies vaccinations, and worm treatments  would be for the so called common good and very well could promote well being and should be covered under the constitution using tax payer funds. 

I think a far greater problem and one that needs to be addressed first would be parents who have kids that are treated like disposable products but that is off topic.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Dec 01, 2009 - 8:47PM #5
Tolerant Sis

Certain things are in the public interest.  Making sure animals are vaccinated against rabies and so on, sure.  Spaying and neutering or requiring the owner to obtain and maintain a breeder's license.  I'd be fine with that becoming part of the ideal of general welfare.

First amendment fan since 1793.
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Dec 01, 2009 - 8:59PM #6
stitch813

Dec 1, 2009 -- 7:21PM, Armwar wrote:

Do you think we should socialize veterinary care?   I think vet care (not Vet care) has gotten way out of hand, those greedy vets pretty much charging what the market will bear and all...bear, get it?   so let's quit horsing around with our tolerance of the broken animal healthcare system, one which is discriminatory towards larger animals, in fact, to a point where dairy farmers are complaining that the prices are now udderly ridiculous...

what do you say?  Shouldn't Congress take a look at this?  and soon?  before we go all ape...s over human health care?  Isn't that in and of itself discriminatory?  Humans larding it over the poor animals...fancying themselves such a superior species...and all...

well, enough of my musings...I think it so unfair to categorically deny treatment to any stray, beast of burden, or wild thing!  and I am doggedly determine to push forward with my proposition that all animals are created equal...

I don't know if this is tongue in cheek or serious, but there is a republican congressman who thinks there should be health insurance available for pets.http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/09/23/house-goper-seeks-co-spon_n_296670.html

It figures that a republican cares about HIS pets more then people who don't belong to him.  You guys slay me.  Real human beings don't deserve health care but this congressman's pets do.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Dec 01, 2009 - 9:28PM #7
solfeggio

I don't know what vets charge in the States, but here in the South Pacific it costs more to take a pet to the vet than it does for a person to go to the doctor!  It's a subject of discussion amongst all of us who have pets and, as a result, people put off taking the dog or cat or canary for regular check-ups, vaccinations, etc. for as long as possible.

However, from what I read about healthcare in the States, people put off going to the doctor for as long as possible, too, because of the cost.

Anyway, I don't see our local vet ever lowering his prices, and because we love our cats and want them to be happy and healthy, so I guess we'll just keep on paying what we have to in order to ensure that.

Fortunately, though, where our own healthcare here in this country is concerned, we have various government subsidies to help keep costs down, so our people can get the medical care they need.

Single-payer plan for other animals (because, of course, we're all animals)?  I don't see that happening anywhere.  The culture dictates that other species are inferior to humans, and therefore not as deserving of special care, and that's not going to change.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Dec 01, 2009 - 9:32PM #8
Druac

Dec 1, 2009 -- 8:21PM, nnsecu wrote:

I think a far greater problem and one that needs to be addressed first would be parents who have kids that are treated like disposable products but that is off topic.

I agree with everything you stated, particularly the last part. I could EASILY support some kind of education requirement at the very least, before having children.

[George Carlin]
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." - Steven Weinberg, an American physicist
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Dec 01, 2009 - 9:35PM #9
Druac

Not to mention, having a pet is a 'choice' you make.

Being ill and not being able to afford to save your life, or becoming bankrupt because of it, is a completely different thing. I think even Gail realizes that. So I am going to guess she was just in a 'funny' mood when she posted this.

[George Carlin]
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Dec 01, 2009 - 9:43PM #10
solfeggio

If couples had to take parenting classes as a requirement for obtaining a marriage license, what do you suppose the conservative element would say?  The government is interfering with our personal lives!  What's next, they'd shout?  Sterilising people who are carriers of certain diseases that could be passed on to their children?  (Like Tay-Sachs, for instance.  Or Huntington's Chorea?)

Although I think those would be good ideas, I can't see that sort of thing happening in the States - or in any other country.  People just don't want Big Brother intruding in their private lives.

We had a law passed here a couple of years back by our then-liberal government in which parents who hit their children would be subject to arrest.  It's called the 'anti-smacking' law, and the idea was to help prevent child abuse.  Well, you wouldn't believe how angrily people reacted to the passing of that law! 

www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c...

I think you'd have the same sort of anger in the States if something like that came up.

There are always going to be people who will treat their kids like dirt, and the best that society can do is try to find the kids before they are too damaged and remove them from the parents. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook