Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Seattle suspect freed by Huckabee
8 years ago  ::  Nov 30, 2009 - 1:32PM #1
Christianlib

It seems that the suspect in the Seattle police killings had a sentence  commuted by then-Gov. Mike Huckabee (R) of Arkansas.

He was only one of several felons freed by Mike who went on to commit violent crimes.

THE STORY.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Nov 30, 2009 - 1:38PM #2
Merope

“If you pardon someone and they do something, it’s bad news.” 

That's the understatement of the century.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Nov 30, 2009 - 4:03PM #3
Kirk

I'll be completely consistent and say that in the cases of Willie Horton and Maurice Clemmons the cause (vast prison populations in vast public and private institutions with vast incoming populations of new prisoners) produces the effect (ad hoc early release programs that are far from perfect).

One solution - putting fewer non-violent offenders in prison to begin with.

What happened to Dukakis - manufactured rage on the right - will not happen to Huckabee. because Huckabee will

1. pray in public to his god for better judgement AND

2. ask for more money for prisons without suggesting that fewer non-violent offenders go to prison.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Nov 30, 2009 - 5:34PM #4
mecdukebec

Nov 30, 2009 -- 4:03PM, Kirk wrote:

I'll be completely consistent and say that in the cases of Willie Horton and Maurice Clemmons the cause (vast prison populations in vast public and private institutions with vast incoming populations of new prisoners) produces the effect (ad hoc early release programs that are far from perfect).

One solution - putting fewer non-violent offenders in prison to begin with.

What happened to Dukakis - manufactured rage on the right - will not happen to Huckabee. because Huckabee will

1. pray in public to his god for better judgement AND

2. ask for more money for prisons without suggesting that fewer non-violent offenders go to prison.

If the Rev. Gov'r is indeed a candidate for the G.O.P. ticket in 2012, he will, more than likely, have to opine that God told him to do it. 

I mean, it worked for the former Current Occupant in invading Iraq.

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Nov 30, 2009 - 5:55PM #5
Ironhold
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Nov 30, 2009 - 6:35PM #6
Idbc

What I would like to know is, did Huckabee have anything to do with the man having his sentence commuted  or not? 

Quoting from the link:

"Clemmons is a convicted criminal with a long rap sheet who had a 95-year prison sentence commuted in 2000 by then-Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, said Pierce County sheriff's spokesman Ed Troyer." 

Quoting again from the link: 

"For his part, Mike Huckabee has now released a statement, claiming no responsibility for setting him free in 2000."

Have A Thinking Day And May Reason Guide You Smile

HAVE A THINKING DAY MAY REASON GUIDE YOU
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Nov 30, 2009 - 9:56PM #7
Merope

Nov 30, 2009 -- 6:35PM, Idbc wrote:

What I would like to know is, did Huckabee have anything to do with the man having his sentence commuted  or not?

Yes, he did.  He commuted Clemmons' sentence, thereby making him eligible for parole in 2000.  At the time, Clemmons had been in prison since about 1989 and was serving a 95-year sentence for aggravated robbery and other charges. 

Part of the problem is that Huck's judgment in the matter of pardons and commutations appears to have been pretty bad.  Arkansas prosecutors have noted that Huck was more inclined to release or reduce the sentences of prisoners if he had direct contact with them or was lobbied by people close to him.

One former prosecutor -- who is now a Circuit Court judge -- said Huck's decision to give Keith Richards a pardon for a 1975 traffic offense after meeting him at a concert showed how lightly Huck approached the practice of pardons and commutations.  "That just said volumes about how he considered this serious ultimate power over freedom as a joke," the judge said.

Another part of the problem is the question of whether Huck brought improper pressure to bear on members of the state parole board in some cases.  In the case of convicted rapist Wayne DuMond, two members of the parole board said Huck pressured them to show DuMond mercy.

Yet another part of the problem -- in Clemmons' case -- is the fact that he was 17 when he was convicted.  He was sentenced to 95 years in prison, which is just an astoundingly stupidly long sentence for aggravated robbery.  It's tantamount to a life sentence for a non-capital offense.  WTF?  When you're 17 and you get a sentence like that, you figure you have nothing left to lose.  I'm not saying Huck was responsible for the sentence, but I think Arkansas needs to look long and hard at its sentencing procedures.

Finally, the prosecutor in Clemmons' case notes that it was Huck himself who created the flaw in Arkansas' criminal justice system by issuing so many commutations and pardons.  During Huck's 10½ years as governor, 1,033 people were reportedly pardoned or had their sentences reduced.  This figure far surpasses that of his three predecessors combined.  Bill Clinton, Frank White, and Jim Guy Tucker granted 507 clemencies in the 17½ years they served.  Governor Beebe -- Huck's successor -- has issued 273 commutations and pardons since taking office in January 2007; all but one of them were pardons after completion of the inmates' prison terms.

More here.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Nov 30, 2009 - 10:36PM #8
Roodog

Nov 30, 2009 -- 1:32PM, Christianlib wrote:

It seems that the suspect in the Seattle police killings had a sentence  commuted by then-Gov. Mike Huckabee (R) of Arkansas.

He was only one of several felons freed by Mike who went on to commit violent crimes.

THE STORY.

I think a commutation is different than setting someone free.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Dec 01, 2009 - 10:21AM #9
Merope

Not that this gets Huck off the hook, but ... Clemmons is now dead.  A Seattle police officer shot and killed him early this morning.  Story here

The officer was investigating a stolen car in a Seattle neighborhood when he spotted Clemmons.  Reportedly, the officer told Clemmons to stop and show his hands; when Clemmons didn't stop, the officer fired off several rounds and killed Clemmons.  At the time, Clemmons was reportedly carrying a handgun he'd taken from one of the officers he shot in the coffee shop on Sunday.

So far, four people have been arrested on various charges connected to helping Clemmons elude the police after the coffee shop shootings.  More arrests are expected. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Dec 01, 2009 - 1:58PM #10
Christianlib

Nov 30, 2009 -- 10:36PM, Roodog wrote:

Nov 30, 2009 -- 1:32PM, Christianlib wrote:

THE STORY.

I think a commutation is different than setting someone free.

You think wrong.

Now, YES, one kind of "commutation" replaces a death penalty with life imprisonment.  One kind.  Other kinds can, and in this case did, result in freedom for the prisoner.

Study. It does a brain good.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook