Page 1 of 23  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 23 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Swiss Vote to Ban Construction of Minarets: Your Thoughts?
5 years ago  ::  Nov 29, 2009 - 2:25PM #1
Merope

In an election in Switzerland today, voters approved a nationwide ban on the construction of minarets -- those architectural features of mosques from which Muslims are called to prayer.  The vote amends the Swiss constitution to prohibit further construction of minarets anywhere in the country.  The measure was put on the ballot after its backers obtained a sufficient number of petition signatures, which then triggered a vote under the Swiss constitution.  Stories here and here

The Swiss government and most lawmakers opposed the measure.  But an estimated 58-59% of the voters approved it.  Voter turn-out was estmated at around 53%.

There are currently 5 minarets in Switzerland -- four in Geneva and one in Zürich.  The measure does not prohibit further construction of mosques, but any future mosques constructed cannot have minarets.

Your thoughts?

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 29, 2009 - 2:32PM #2
rangerken

What we are seeing is a growing resistance by Europeans in general against what they perceive as creeping islamism in their societies. This is entirely for Europeans to decide of course. But it is obvious that the impetus for the actions by a large majority of the Swiss is not the least bit restricted to only Switzerland. The reports about this also indicate that Swiss feminists were very vocal in spport of the ban. This is not surprising. Women should be in the forefront of the fight against some things Islamists want to bring into Europe... note I said SOME THINGS!!!.

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 29, 2009 - 2:40PM #3
mountain_man

The reaction is absurd. About 13% of the Swiss population is Islamic and only a few of those actually practice the religion. How can less than a few percent of a population represent "creeping" anything? They should be more worried about church steeples than mosque minarets.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 29, 2009 - 2:51PM #4
rangerken

It's not absurd to Europeans, Mountainman. I speak French and German, and often read reports and editorials in those languages from European media. There is a growing resistance to what Europeans perceive as creeping islamism. Whether or not it is justified deserves discussion. That the belief in this exists is a real and growing phenomenom. This is, I think, a clear case of the majority of Europeans going against what the current, governing entities want. I'd call it an example of European revolt against political correctness. My French and German friends like the analogy.

I recommend France Soir, and Der Spiegel. Translations are usually available for Engish speakers wio wish to follow European events through European media.

Besser ist wen im Deutsch oder Fraszosich alles liesen ist.

C'est mieux pour moi de liser en francais parceque j'ai la facilite avec la belle lange.

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 29, 2009 - 2:55PM #5
Roodog

Khadaffi said that Switzerland should cease to exist:

Payback on the part of the Swiss?

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 29, 2009 - 4:07PM #6
mountain_man

Nov 29, 2009 -- 2:51PM, rangerken wrote:

It's not absurd to Europeans...

The number of languages you speak is irrelevant. The banning of minarets is an absurd idea. It will do nothing to stop the spread of anything except a bias against Muslims. It is the same as saying that if we stop building church steeples then radical christians will stop killing gynecologists.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 29, 2009 - 4:08PM #7
mountain_man

Nov 29, 2009 -- 2:55PM, Roodog wrote:

Khadaffi said ...

No one but Khadaffi cares what Khadaffi says.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 29, 2009 - 4:36PM #8
Erey

I think yes a resistance to Islamism.  But also miniaretes are noisy things.  Made to make penetrating noise covering a large area.  I guess like church bells but dare I say, a bit more intrusive? This might be why no more miniaretes but mosques are fine. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 29, 2009 - 5:57PM #9
CharikIeia

Nov 29, 2009 -- 4:36PM, Erey wrote:

But also miniaretes are noisy things. 
Made to make penetrating noise covering a large area.

Originally yes, but not in Switzerland, or any other European country I'd be aware of - they are architectonic elements, not used by Muezzins for calling their sheeple, as they are in Muslim countries. Hell, in our secular societies, we even heave people suing against churches for ringing bells on Sundays...

If this shows one thing, it is that the Swiss are afraid.
No wonder in this day and age, where the old, inherited truths are questioned every day.
A people that has confidence in itself doesn't make such decisions.

Now, on a more serious note: What will the Swiss banks like UBS do now, in the wake of a presumably huge withdrawal of Arab oil money from their safes?

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 29, 2009 - 11:20PM #10
Erey

I have never lived in an area where I could hear a muzzen call to prayer.  I understand even non muslims grow to enjoy it.  I do live near a couple of churches and I do enjoy the bells - very pretty if you ask me.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 23  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 23 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook