Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 2 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Sad News: Ted Kennedy died tonight
8 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2009 - 12:57PM #11
aws720k

Aug 26, 2009 -- 10:19AM, Kairos wrote:

Rest in peace, Senator Kennedy. 

What an amazing family he came from.  Are there any Kennedys left in politics?  Seems like they left behind quite a legacy.

It was Ted Kennedy who carried the burden and led the way as the patriarch of a family seen by many as America's answer to royalty.  

Remaining sibling is Jean Kennedy Smith (born February 20, 1928), an American politician, a former United States Ambassador to Ireland, and is the eighth of nine children born to Rose and Joseph Kennedy.   The Kennedys right now are really doing a lot of things outside the public sector that are having an impact," Brown University's Schiller said. "They are reshaping and redrawing the Kennedy legacy in new ways, and expanding it."  

In the final analysis, the royal-family scrapbooks and Camelot nostalgia may not be the most lasting legacy. A suggestion of what the Kennedys might be most remembered for comes from Bobby, in his best-known speech about the power of one person to effect change. Each Kennedy contributes "a ripple of hope" to the legacy, as he put it, some large, some small, many skirting troubled waters, but all contributing to a current that tries to beat endlessly at oppression and prejudice. source  [includes information about the younger generation]

"He loved this country and devoted his life to serving it."    

Kennedy's memoir, "True Compass," is set to be published in the fall.  

A Chronology of the Life of Senator Edward Kennedy

May he rest in peace.

Blessings ~ Annie

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2009 - 1:00PM #12
MG1LBERT

Patrick Joseph Kennedy II (son of the late Senator Edward) serves in the US House of Representatives for the 1st congressional district of Rhode Island:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Joseph_Ken...

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2009 - 2:46PM #13
Justme333

How grateful we, as a nation, are to the Kennedy family for the gift of their children.  How thankful we, as a nation, are to Senator Kennedy for his service that benefited all of us. Rest in peace, Teddy, and know that your service did matter to many.

Justme

"Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there."  Will Rogers

"Give to those who ask, and don't turn away from those who want to borrow."  Matthew 5:42

"Charity is no substitute for justice withheld."         St. Augustine

"Your love for God is only as great as the love you have for the person you love least."  Dorothy Day

"If you want peace, work for justice." Pope Paul VI
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2009 - 3:00PM #14
stitch813

I hope that he is with his brothers in heaven and is resting in peace.  I think back to his failed bid for the presidency and I say thank god.  He was able to do so much for so many in his capacity as a senator.  And he did it in a way that made even his republican colleagues respect him.  Obama called him the greatest senator of our time and as a senator he more than fit the bill.  I don't know if any senator will be able to accomplish so much for so many although I hope one does.  Blessings to his soul and his family.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2009 - 3:24PM #15
Mostyn32

One of Ted Kennedy's greatest attributes was his ability to cross the lines of privilege and understand the hopes and aspirations of everyday Americans. Even though born into a wealthy and powerful family (bith corporately and politically), Kennedy could connect with the man and woman in the street, in much the same way that his brother Bobby could.

My condolences to his surviving sibling and his children, his nephews and nieces, who will no doubt miss him greatly, and to those who shared his hopes and dreams for the U.S. society.

May he rest in peace and may light perpetual shine upon him.  

"God is no captious sophister, eager to trip us up whenever we say amiss, but a courteous tutor, ready to amend what, in our weakness or our ignorance, we say ill, and to make the most of what we say aright."  from 'A Learned Discourse on Justification', a sermon by Richard Hooker (1554-1600).
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2009 - 8:24PM #16
mecdukebec

"I don't have much to say, except a personal thought. I remember the days, several decades ago, when Ted Kennedy was treated - mainly, but not only, on the right - as a figure of derision. He was mocked for his appearance, his personal life, his unabashed liberalism.  And now he's remembered as a great man. The thing is, he didn't change - he always was."  -

- Paul Krugman. 

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2009 - 8:38PM #17
oneinchrist1963

Ted was Dead wrong his whole life, this will be a change for him. Now, he's just dead.

Laughing

"We have staked the whole future of American civilization, not upon the power of the government, far from it. We have staked the future of all of our political institutions upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to the Ten Commandments of God."

James Madison

"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."

Samuel Adams

"By removing the Bible from schools we would be wasting so much time and money in punishing criminals. Take the Bible out of schools and there would be an explosion in crime."

Benjamin Rush

It is not only that Democrats are stupid and intellectually dishonest. It is that they believe lies as well, which dashes any hope of gaining wisdom.
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2009 - 8:53PM #18
katy66

When it came to government Teddy was dead right.  He cared about people.

Blessings,  Katy66
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2009 - 8:55PM #19
oneinchrist1963

Aug 26, 2009 -- 8:53PM, katy66 wrote:

When it came to government Teddy was dead right.  He cared about people.

With the exception of the ones he is most intimate with. He just leaves them in the water to sleep off his drunk.

"We have staked the whole future of American civilization, not upon the power of the government, far from it. We have staked the future of all of our political institutions upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to the Ten Commandments of God."

James Madison

"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."

Samuel Adams

"By removing the Bible from schools we would be wasting so much time and money in punishing criminals. Take the Bible out of schools and there would be an explosion in crime."

Benjamin Rush

It is not only that Democrats are stupid and intellectually dishonest. It is that they believe lies as well, which dashes any hope of gaining wisdom.
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2009 - 9:03PM #20
katy66

He still cared more about people than most of those loud mouthed guys in the senate.

Blessings,  Katy66
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook