Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Pause Switch to Standard View Sad News: Ted Kennedy died tonight
Show More
Flag rabello August 26, 2009 1:43 AM EDT

May he rest in peace.

Flag SherriMunnerlyn August 26, 2009 7:36 AM EDT

Aug 26, 2009 -- 1:43AM, rabello wrote:

May he rest in peace.

rabello,

I woke up to read this news, what a way to start the day, to read this story, to start the day with a good cry.

us.mc830.mail.yahoo.com/mc/welcome?.part...

"He helped enact measures to protect civil and labor rights, expand healthcare, upgrade schools, increase student aid and contain the spread of nuclear weapons. 

"There's a lot to do," Kennedy told Reuters in 2006. "I think most of all it's the injustice that I continue to see and the opportunity to have some impact on it.""

What I will remember him for, he stood up against injustices, he stood up for righteous causes. I will miss him.

And then I read a bunch of hateful comments about him, in what seemed to me to be an unexpected source for so many comments like that, The Independent.

It just goes to show you, some people can never let go of their hate, they just treasure it like it is the most important thing they have to do with their lives and hang onto it, no matter what the circumstances.

Sherri

Flag nnsecu August 26, 2009 9:32 AM EDT

I have never liked Ted Kennedy and the few times i dealt with him personally where very unpleasant, with all that said my heart does go out to his family for their loss.

I wonder how long before his death will be exploited in the healthcare reform debate? How long before we hear the "Do it for TEDDY" angle?

Flag mecdukebec August 26, 2009 9:38 AM EDT
I heard Senator Kennedy speak in 1989 at a M.L. King breakfast in Boston, and have always thought highly of him.  Requiescat in pacem.
Flag looshawn August 26, 2009 9:48 AM EDT

It's unfortunate on the passing of the Senator.

At least I can say I agreed with him on ONE thing - be a life long Boston Red Sox fan.

Flag Jasr August 26, 2009 9:58 AM EDT

He was a deeply flawed individual who got a lot of good things done.

May he rest in peace.

(And Looshawn, I'll be happy along with you when the Red Sox win, but I hope the Habs stomp on the Bruins next year.)

Flag Erey August 26, 2009 10:11 AM EDT

I am sort of happy for him on this.  He was out and about on some issue just over a week ago - well enough to get around and do some Senatoring.  So he seemed to have been able to keep something of a quality of life until the very end.

I know my father died of a brain tumor and he was incapacitated for a few months before his death.  I am sure Kenedy had pain and suffering but he seemed to have been spared quite a bit of it too.

Flag Kairos August 26, 2009 10:19 AM EDT

Rest in peace, Senator Kennedy. 

What an amazing family he came from.  Are there any Kennedys left in politics?  Seems like they left behind quite a legacy.

Flag Jasr August 26, 2009 12:09 PM EDT

Aug 26, 2009 -- 10:11AM, Erey wrote:

I am sort of happy for him on this.  He was out and about on some issue just over a week ago - well enough to get around and do some Senatoring.  So he seemed to have been able to keep something of a quality of life until the very end.

Nice thought.

Flag Jasr August 26, 2009 12:11 PM EDT

Aug 26, 2009 -- 10:19AM, Kairos wrote:

What an amazing family he came from.  Are there any Kennedys left in politics?  Seems like they left behind quite a legacy.

There's Maria Shriver. I think that's about it.

Flag aws720k August 26, 2009 12:57 PM EDT

Aug 26, 2009 -- 10:19AM, Kairos wrote:

It was Ted Kennedy who carried the burden and led the way as the patriarch of a family seen by many as America's answer to royalty.  

Remaining sibling is Jean Kennedy Smith (born February 20, 1928), an American politician, a former United States Ambassador to Ireland, and is the eighth of nine children born to Rose and Joseph Kennedy.   The Kennedys right now are really doing a lot of things outside the public sector that are having an impact," Brown University's Schiller said. "They are reshaping and redrawing the Kennedy legacy in new ways, and expanding it."  

In the final analysis, the royal-family scrapbooks and Camelot nostalgia may not be the most lasting legacy. A suggestion of what the Kennedys might be most remembered for comes from Bobby, in his best-known speech about the power of one person to effect change. Each Kennedy contributes "a ripple of hope" to the legacy, as he put it, some large, some small, many skirting troubled waters, but all contributing to a current that tries to beat endlessly at oppression and prejudice. source  [includes information about the younger generation]

"He loved this country and devoted his life to serving it."    

Kennedy's memoir, "True Compass," is set to be published in the fall.  

A Chronology of the Life of Senator Edward Kennedy

May he rest in peace.

Blessings ~ Annie

Flag MG1LBERT August 26, 2009 1:00 PM EDT

Patrick Joseph Kennedy II (son of the late Senator Edward) serves in the US House of Representatives for the 1st congressional district of Rhode Island:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Joseph_Ken...

Flag Justme333 August 26, 2009 2:46 PM EDT

How grateful we, as a nation, are to the Kennedy family for the gift of their children.  How thankful we, as a nation, are to Senator Kennedy for his service that benefited all of us. Rest in peace, Teddy, and know that your service did matter to many.

Justme

Flag stitch813 August 26, 2009 3:00 PM EDT

I hope that he is with his brothers in heaven and is resting in peace.  I think back to his failed bid for the presidency and I say thank god.  He was able to do so much for so many in his capacity as a senator.  And he did it in a way that made even his republican colleagues respect him.  Obama called him the greatest senator of our time and as a senator he more than fit the bill.  I don't know if any senator will be able to accomplish so much for so many although I hope one does.  Blessings to his soul and his family.

Flag Mostyn32 August 26, 2009 3:24 PM EDT

One of Ted Kennedy's greatest attributes was his ability to cross the lines of privilege and understand the hopes and aspirations of everyday Americans. Even though born into a wealthy and powerful family (bith corporately and politically), Kennedy could connect with the man and woman in the street, in much the same way that his brother Bobby could.

My condolences to his surviving sibling and his children, his nephews and nieces, who will no doubt miss him greatly, and to those who shared his hopes and dreams for the U.S. society.

May he rest in peace and may light perpetual shine upon him.  

Flag mecdukebec August 26, 2009 8:24 PM EDT

"I don't have much to say, except a personal thought. I remember the days, several decades ago, when Ted Kennedy was treated - mainly, but not only, on the right - as a figure of derision. He was mocked for his appearance, his personal life, his unabashed liberalism.  And now he's remembered as a great man. The thing is, he didn't change - he always was."  -

- Paul Krugman. 

Flag oneinchrist1963 August 26, 2009 8:38 PM EDT

Ted was Dead wrong his whole life, this will be a change for him. Now, he's just dead.

Laughing

Flag katy66 August 26, 2009 8:53 PM EDT

When it came to government Teddy was dead right.  He cared about people.

Flag oneinchrist1963 August 26, 2009 8:55 PM EDT

Aug 26, 2009 -- 8:53PM, katy66 wrote:

When it came to government Teddy was dead right.  He cared about people.

With the exception of the ones he is most intimate with. He just leaves them in the water to sleep off his drunk.

Flag katy66 August 26, 2009 9:03 PM EDT

He still cared more about people than most of those loud mouthed guys in the senate.

Flag jaydog53177 August 26, 2009 9:08 PM EDT

There is a Little spot in heaven where Mary Jo finally gets to confront her murderer.  Mary Jo this one is for your memory.

Flag oneinchrist1963 August 26, 2009 9:19 PM EDT

Aug 26, 2009 -- 9:03PM, katy66 wrote:

He still cared more about people than most of those loud mouthed guys in the senate.

And killed only one, good enough for the democratic party.

Flag katy66 August 26, 2009 9:32 PM EDT

Goodness, What forgiving natures some people have.

Flag Mlyons619 August 26, 2009 9:35 PM EDT

The man has passed, oneinChrist1963.  The Christianity I practice demands I pray for the beneit of his soul, and not think of reasons that he should be damned.

His soul isn't in your hands anyway - at least not according to the Christianity I believe in...

Flag Messiahobama August 28, 2009 12:41 PM EDT

Ted will be buried at Arlington National Cemetary.   Ted served in the Army Military Police, rising to the rank of Private First Class, serving in France and Germany during the Korean War.

Ted enlisted for 4 years, but his father Joe Kennedy got it reduced to 2 years.  Ted then was discharged after 16 months.    With basic training and military police training, I'm not sure if the military got even one year in return of regular service.  It's a waste of money to fly people to France and Germany for a few months. 

What was his discharge?  Honorable?  Or some fake reason to get him out early, and away from Korea?   If you're father is a politician, you too can escape the normal requirements of anyone else who enlists in the military.  To avoid the infantry, he would have had to enlist for more than 2 years, yet he got out of the infantry and served less than 2 years.   16 months is suspicious.   That's an 8 month early discharge.  How did he do it?   What strings get pulled if your family has enough money?   For this he gets into Arlington National Cemetary.

On the reception line is William Kennedy Smith, his nephew that was charged with rape, after Ted and William were barhopping, drinking and picking up women.  Sen. Chris Dodd will speak.  Dodd and Ted were at a Washington restaurant where they cornered a waitress and did was is called the "Waitress Sandwich," until the waitress screamed and ran from the room.  Dodd was on the bottom in a chair.  Ted pushed the waitress onto Dodd.  Then Ted laid on the waitress' back.   Ted and Dodd had a little too much to drink.  Dodd's speaking at the funeral will add a human touch to the solemn time.

The biggest disappointment to Ted's fans was his inability to become president.   It's apparently a social restriction that limits the presidency to nonmurderers.   This is so unfair.   The Constitution doesn't prohibit murderers from being president.   All Ted did was kill one woman.  Not two, not three.  Just one.   Just a little character flaw.  Ok, he did wait 10 hours before calling police.   Another little character flaw.  Mary Jo frantically tried to get out of the car Ted drove into the water.  Picture Mary Jo gasping for breath as the air bubble loses oxygen, and she's trapped in the car, unable to get out.   Picture her dying of drowning or choking, as Ted calls his attorneys and dresses in dry clothes, wondering how to cover it all up.    Picture the adoring Massachusetts voters who loved a Kennedy so much, they embraced a murderer for senator at age 30.

Ted gives hope to all.  Murderers can be elected Senator.  Still, we have a way to go, we need to have a murderer run for president and win.  Then we'll know we've arrived.  Until then "the dream lives on,"  as Ted would say.  Our eyes turn moist, thinking how evil Republicans prevented his dream of being president.    In 1980, he almost beat President Carter in the Democratic primaries, but a journalist asked Ted why he wanted to be president.  Ted had no coherent answer.  If Ted had been honest he would have said it was his inheritance, it's what money can buy.  But instead Ted tried to think of some politically correct answer.  He said America is a great country.  And mumbled something TV won't repeat for us.

Ted wasn't too bright.  He'd get C's in highschool, then get kicked out of Harvard for cheating and paying a substitute to take a Spanish exam.   He's a true inspiration to struggling students everywhere.

But he went to law school, in Virigina and became a lawyer.  He worked as a prosecutor for about one year.   How did he do?    The one year career as a lawyer.  He must have been great.  A real Perry Mason or Burger

Why didn't the military ever send him to Korea?  There was a war going on, and there was Ted, a private in the army.   Who prevented Ted from his chance to be a war hero?  Ted probably wanted to go, and the military said "No, Ted, you're so bright, you'll serve your country much better in France and Germany, policing the errant soldiers"

Ted Kennedy was known as a liberal, but he was conservative on crime, maybe a throwback to his tough prosecutor days.  "Days" is all he spent as a deputy prosecutor.  Someone tell us how many trials he did and for what?  Did he send people to prison for vehicular manslaughter?    Only someone with so many criminal tendencies himself could be tough on crime, like Ted.

Ted is unique.  We will never see another Ted.   Now he can meet Mary Jo again.  They'll have a reunion in the hereafter.   Ted will explain to Mary Jo how it was her fault he drove off the bridge.

The Vatican has no comment on Ted.   Obama saw the Pope and delivered a mysterious sealed envelope from Ted to the Pope.  What did it say?  "Forgive me Father, I have sinned, and I've done 5 Hail Mary's, is that enough?  I can't give you all my sins, I'm senile now and have forgotten most of them, especially that Mary Jo thing"

Will the Catholic Church give him a funeral?   Is he eligible?   Or was the sealed envelope a request to be considered for sainthood?   St. Ted?

Ted had character flaws.  So did Jack the Ripper.

Flag Christianlib August 28, 2009 12:45 PM EDT

I hope you guys realize how much more these spiteful posts and harangues reflect on the sorry state of your soul than they do on Senator Kennedy.

But that is probably just one more thing you will never realize.

Flag nnsecu August 28, 2009 12:54 PM EDT

You need to watch those stones you throw being in a glass house and all.

Flag Christianlib August 28, 2009 1:09 PM EDT

It has not ever been, and is not my policy now, to trash a dead man before he is even cold and in the ground.

There is a concept called a respectful interval, which you seem to not comprehend.

Oh, well, just put it on your list.

Flag rabello August 28, 2009 1:23 PM EDT

The sheer number of, and the sheer diversity of people, rich and poor standing in line, next to each other, waiting to acknowledge their respect and condolences, undercuts the cruel attempts to trash a dead man, who for all his failings, was a voice for the ordinary people, the ones in cheap clothes and missing teeth, who are making the effort to get in line, there, with the Movers and Shakers

Flag Christianlib August 28, 2009 1:27 PM EDT

As in all such occasions, there will be two kinds of people there.  There will be those who just want to pay their respects, and there will be those who want to be sure the are SEEN paying their respects.

One measure of a man's contributions to the world, is just how many of the former kind there are.

Flag TENAC August 28, 2009 1:28 PM EDT

Aug 28, 2009 -- 1:23PM, rabello wrote:

The sheer number of, and the sheer diversity of people, rich and poor standing in line, next to each other, waiting to acknowledge their respect and condolences, undercuts the cruel attempts to trash a dead man, who for all his failings, was a voice for the ordinary people, the ones in cheap clothes and missing teeth, who are making the effort to get in line, there, with the Movers and Shakers

I understand there's a buffet.

Flag Messiahobama August 28, 2009 1:28 PM EDT

Ted was deeply flawed.   Jack the Ripper was deeply flawed.  Adolf Hitler was deeply flawed.

What's remarkable about Ted is that as a murderer he was elected Senator and people fawned over him.    It says more about Massachusetts voters and Ted groupies than about Ted.

Mary Jo Kopechne deserved more to be buried in a place of honor, not Ted.  Let's remember Mary Jo, whenever Ted's name is mentioned.  She deserves it.

Don't let a "Ted Kennedy" mention pass without quickly changing the topic to Mary Jo Kopechne.    Ironically, Obama was vacationing at Martha's Vineyard when Ted passed on.  Martha's Vineyard near the bridge where Ted drove Mary Jo into the water and left her to die.   Obama at Ted's crime scene.  Ironic.

Flag ZafodB August 28, 2009 1:32 PM EDT

All in all ,this has been fairly mild. I have kept my opinions out and will let ted explain all this to his maker

Flag TENAC August 28, 2009 1:34 PM EDT

***You Heard It Here First Alert***

During his euology (and why in the world is obama doing Ted's euology?) obama will not be able to refrain from referencing and tying the Health Care bill to a lasting proclamaion and memorial....to Ted.

Flag rabello August 28, 2009 1:39 PM EDT

Aug 28, 2009 -- 1:27PM, Christianlib wrote:

As in all such occasions, there will be two kinds of people there.  There will be those who just want to pay their respects, and there will be those who want to be sure the are SEEN paying their respects.

One measure of a man's contributions to the world, is just how many of the former kind there are.

Amen, Christainlib

I've been watching clips of the procession of people and I think it's fair to say there are more ordinary people paying respect than those from the top tier, who never needed civil rights legislation or health care reform in the first place.   It has been quite moving, for me.

Flag Cesmom August 28, 2009 1:47 PM EDT

Aug 28, 2009 -- 1:34PM, TENAC wrote:

During his euology (and why in the world is obama doing Ted's euology?) obama will not be able to refrain from referencing and tying the Health Care bill to a lasting proclamaion and memorial....to Ted.

I'm not one to automatically jump to Obama's defense on every issue, but in all fairness, Ted Kennedy himself referred to healthcare reform as "the cause of his life".  It seems fitting that it would be mentioned in his eulogy.

Flag TENAC August 28, 2009 1:52 PM EDT

Aug 28, 2009 -- 1:47PM, Cesmom wrote:

Aug 28, 2009 -- 1:34PM, TENAC wrote:

I'm not one to automatically jump to Obama's defense on every issue, but in all fairness, Ted Kennedy himself referred to healthcare reform as "the cause of his life".  It seems fitting that it would be mentioned in his eulogy.

That doesnt concern me as much as the idea that obama would do the euology.  Rev Wright would make more sense, but that obama is doing it makes it suddenly political.  If obama and Ted had a long, enduring relationship, well ok.  None of that is so.

Wasnt Ted, uh, Catholic? 

Name the health care bill what ever you like, just dont pass it.

Flag TENAC August 28, 2009 1:57 PM EDT

Lets be accurate.

Ted Kennedy championed a lot of legislation to redistribute wealth.  Thats about it.  He is larger than life due to almost nothing he did that was in anyway monumental, except being Jack's and Bobby's brother.  For the years of his life, he symbolized "Camelot" to a nation in search of royalty.  Beyond that he is far better known for his failings which are accurate and true than for his greatness which is largely exaggerated.

Flag rabello August 28, 2009 2:01 PM EDT

Phony baloney, TENAC.

The only people who would take the time to listen to what Obama will have to say are those who already agree with Ted Kennedy's longtime advocacy of health care for all Americans, not just those who can afford it.    They won't be the ones needing to trash the thing because they "suspect" "politics" will come from it.    Curiously enough, that was exactly what they were whining about on FAUX News last night when I accidentally turned the channel to THAT frequency.

Poor conservatives.   Obama Hate is obviously not enough to get to that peaceful, easy feeling one gets after a "rush"

Flag TENAC August 28, 2009 2:10 PM EDT

Aug 28, 2009 -- 2:01PM, rabello wrote:

Phony baloney, TENAC.

The only people who would take the time to listen to what Obama will have to say are those who already agree with Ted Kennedy's longtime advocacy of health care for all Americans, not just those who can afford it.    They won't be the ones needing to trash the thing because they "suspect" "politics" will come from it.    Curiously enough, that was exactly what they were whining about on FAUX News last night when I accidentally turned the channel to THAT frequency.

Poor conservatives.   Obama Hate is obviously not enough to get to that peaceful, easy feeling one gets after a "rush"

I will bet you your lunch money this comes off as a campaign speech, and a push for obama care.

The fact obama is doing the euology makes it political.  There is no relationship there beyond two years.

And there may be baloney on that buffet......Wink

Flag catalunya70 August 28, 2009 2:18 PM EDT

How would anyone know which is which?  Perhaps more of the latter?

"  Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure there is one less rascal in the world."

Thomas Carlyle

Flag rabello August 28, 2009 2:19 PM EDT

Aug 28, 2009 -- 2:10PM, TENAC wrote:

Phony baloney, TENAC.

I will bet you your lunch money this comes off as a campaign speech, and a push for obama care.

The fact obama is doing the euology makes it political.  There is no relationship there beyond two years.

For those who interpret funeral proceedings according to how much they hate the deceased and the speakers. I've no doubt the eulogy will be summarily dismissed as dishonest.

Fortunately, the world is not run, and certainly this country is not run, on the basis of some people's hate. 

I've no doubt seeing this slice of ordinary Americans come out of hiding in the numbers that they are to basically thank Kennedy for remembering them during his years in government, is unnerving to those who base their opinions on what they hate.  Just like the solemnity and inspiration of Obama's inauguration, with all those ordinary Americans coming out to express their hope, must have been unnerving.

Flag TENAC August 28, 2009 2:41 PM EDT

Aug 28, 2009 -- 2:19PM, rabello wrote:

Aug 28, 2009 -- 2:10PM, TENAC wrote:

Phony baloney, TENAC.

For those who interpret funeral proceedings according to how much they hate the deceased and the speakers. I've no doubt the eulogy will be summarily dismissed as dishonest.

Fortunately, the world is not run, and certainly this country is not run, on the basis of some people's hate. 

I've no doubt seeing this slice of ordinary Americans come out of hiding in the numbers that they are to basically thank Kennedy for remembering them during his years in government, is unnerving to those who base their opinions on what they hate.  Just like the solemnity and inspiration of Obama's inauguration, with all those ordinary Americans coming out to express their hope, must have been unnerving.

Hate.

Only libs reference hate.  Theirs or yours, them seem omniscient.

No, I dont hate TKennedy, nor obama.  I did and do hate their politics I see as detrimental to this country.

The euology is being televised I am sure, and then we'll know. 

But I wonder,

if it werent, would obama still do it?

Flag Christianlib August 28, 2009 2:52 PM EDT

What is it righties don't understand about reaping what they sow?

Flag rabello August 28, 2009 3:05 PM EDT

Aug 28, 2009 -- 2:52PM, Christianlib wrote:

What is it righties don't understand about reaping what they sow?

Thinking they really and truly ARE the Moral Majority, I guess, always right, never wrong, that hate is love, war is peace, torture is justified for mindless animals, etc

Of course a 400% increase in death threats against the President of the United States, a Christian pastor preaching he hopes Obama dies and goes to hell, and that his children will be fatherless and his wife a widow, is straight from the Bible and doesn't amount to "hate" either.

Flag stitch813 August 28, 2009 6:46 PM EDT

Because of Ted Kennedy's mistake he spent the rest of his life making life better for the people he served.  All of those Americans paying tribute to him amazing.  I doubt when the right's heroes pass on anybody will come and wait for their coffins to pass by unless of course they have photos of Obama with a Hitler moustache and a joker face and guns brandished so they can make a political statement.  When Ted Kennedy is thought of in the future he will be remembered for the thousands upon thousands of good deeds he did for millions of people.  When the right's heroes pass on especially the recent ones they will be remembered not for the one mistake they made but for the thousands upon thousands of mistakes they made that affected millions of people.

Flag TENAC August 28, 2009 7:29 PM EDT

Aug 28, 2009 -- 6:46PM, stitch813 wrote:

Because of Ted Kennedy's mistake he spent the rest of his life making life better for the people he served.  All of those Americans paying tribute to him amazing.  I doubt when the right's heroes pass on anybody will come and wait for their coffins to pass by unless of course they have photos of Obama with a Hitler moustache and a joker face and guns brandished so they can make a political statement.  When Ted Kennedy is thought of in the future he will be remembered for the thousands upon thousands of good deeds he did for millions of people.  When the right's heroes pass on especially the recent ones they will be remembered not for the one mistake they made but for the thousands upon thousands of mistakes they made that affected millions of people.

Since you were so balanced in your review here,

I can almost....no I can assure you.....

Ted Kennedy will forever be remembered for driving and swimming skills.

Flag stitch813 August 28, 2009 8:42 PM EDT

Aug 28, 2009 -- 7:29PM, TENAC wrote:

Aug 28, 2009 -- 6:46PM, stitch813 wrote:

Since you were so balanced in your review here,

I can almost....no I can assure you.....

Ted Kennedy will forever be remembered for driving and swimming skills.

By you no doubt.  Don't forget your gun and poster of Obama when your heroes die, for me I said it now so that when the time comes I can do the decent thing and keep my mouth shut!

Flag Messiahobama August 29, 2009 1:16 AM EDT

A woman named Star comes to visit Charles Manson, and says what a good person he is, concerned about the environment.  

Similarly, we see people coming to Ted Kennedy's funeral, saying he made some mistakes, but he was concerned about the poor.   Charles Manson made some mistakes.  

At some point "mistakes" becomes a euphemism for murder, of Sharon Tate or Mary Jo Kopechne.

there are two conspiracy theories about Mary Jo.   Kennedy got Mary Jo pregnant, killed her, and then staged an accident to hide the murder.   Another theory is Nixon and those who killed JFK, also killed Robert Kennedy, and tried to kill Teddy but only got Mary Jo.  They rigged his car to have an accident, or put misleading highway signs before the bridge.

Most who kill others don't get national public eulogies.  There is more evidence to convict Ted Kennedy of murder than there was for OJ Simpson.  But Kennedy is white.  OJ is black.  Black men are in prison when white men are honored, who did the same things.

Flag Mlyons619 August 29, 2009 1:43 AM EDT

Re:  Chappaquiddick-- Had Kennedy been charged, he probably would have been charged with DUI resulting in death, leaving the scene of an accident and failing to properly report to authorities. 

Serious enough charges, yes, but NOT anywhere near murder.

Kennedy paid the price by watching his aspirations for the Presidency end.  He is in the Hands of God now, and will face a Justice far more just and even-handed than your's or anything that man can offer. 

That should more than satisfy you or anyone else.

Flag Messiahobama August 29, 2009 8:39 AM EDT

Ted's resting place is Arlington National Cemetary, with full military honors.  Ted was a brave private in the army from June 1951 to March 1953, undergoing intelligence training which ended inexplainably, then transferred to the military police.   Instead of going to Korea, where most nearly inductees went, Ted went to Europe, Paris, and Germany.

Ted risked his life serving his country in Paris, while less wealthy American soldiers went to Korea, some died, some were POW's, some injured.    But Ted was so much more important than a mere American male.  He was the son of a politician with money and influence, who pulled strings for Ted, getting him out of the infantry, out of Korea, and out of the army before the minimum enlistment would have expired.

Ted deserves full military honors.  He is so qualified.   Arlington National Cemetary has limited space, so we need to reserve it for those who truly served our country in combat.

Ted did cause the deaths of many enemies.  Ted promoted abortion at every opportunity.  Millions of unborn children died due to Ted's valiant efforts.   If Ted were able to get into his old soldier's uniform, they'd put ribbon after ribbon on his chest for valor, bravery, and courage in facing down those millions of dangerous fetuses.   Ted, we'll miss you.  You so deserve a Catholic funeral.  You're not a hypocrite.  You stood up to your church, the real enemy, and fought them all your life.  What a guy.   Plus you killed Mary Jo Kopechne.  Put another ribbon on your chest, for valor and bravery, as you plotted with your attorneys rather than call the police to help her.  But there is a reason why you didn't call for help for Mary Jo.  You had already killed her and knew she was dead.  You knew it served no purpose to call for help, instead you hoped the car would submerge and be lost.   What a hero, what a brilliant guy.  We all look up to Ted Kennedy as our example, of what a true American can do.

Full military honors.  Arlington Cemetary.   A Catholic mass funeral.   Millions of adoring fawning fans.     Maybe they'll do the same for Charles Manson when he dies.  Charlie never actually killed anyone.   Ted did.  Ted wins in the honors.  A real veteran all veterans can be proud of.  A true Catholic that the Pope is just choked up over, withholding any comments on the faithful Ted.    If the Pope could speak about Ted, I'm sure Benedict would say glowing things about Ted, his loyalty to the Church, his adherence to Church doctrines, Ted's faithful life of humility.  The Pope will likely initiate sainthood for Ted, as soon as one of Ted's adoring fans claims they were healed of some disease.

It's now well known, but Ted could walk on water.  He could also fly.  But the plane crashed, leavng Ted with some injuries.    That's why Ted didn't wear a seat belt in the plane like others did, because Ted could fly, and should the plane crash, Ted would use his superhuman powers and flap his arms.   Ted is more than human.  He's a legend that inspires us all.

Flag christzen August 29, 2009 11:47 AM EDT

First off,I didn't like Ted Kennedy.But it is a sad commentary on the state of many posters character that they feel the pathetic need to come here and rag on a dead man.And yes,it is hate that drives it,despite their protestations.Disliking someone's politics doesn't drive intelligent people to post hateful things about others,especially after they are dead.Just ask Orrin Hatch.And those that are too stupid to know the definition of murder need to educate themselves before using the term "murderer".He should have been convicted of something along the lines of negligent homicide and booted out of the Senate.But murder?Go back to frickin first grade and relearn something of the judicial system.

When Reagan died and this stuff was coming from the left,I hoped that this was something the right would not stoop to in their turn.But this goes to show there are smallminded,mean little petty people on all sides.

Flag christzen August 29, 2009 11:58 AM EDT

Aug 26, 2009 -- 9:35PM, Mlyons619 wrote:

The man has passed, oneinChrist1963.  The Christianity I practice demands I pray for the beneit of his soul, and not think of reasons that he should be damned.

His soul isn't in your hands anyway - at least not according to the Christianity I believe in...

You don't even need to bring the demands of Christianity into it,and I say this as a practicing Christian.It's called simple human decency,and sadly it often seems to be most lacking in those
that claim to follow Christ.

Flag Mlyons619 August 29, 2009 12:13 PM EDT

...But this goes to show there are smallminded,mean little petty people on all sides...

Sadly true...

Flag sydneymoon August 29, 2009 12:15 PM EDT

Aug 29, 2009 -- 11:47AM, christzen wrote:

First off,I didn't like Ted Kennedy.But it is a sad commentary on the state of many posters character that they feel the pathetic need to come here and rag on a dead man.And yes,it is hate that drives it,despite their protestations.Disliking someone's politics doesn't drive intelligent people to post hateful things about others,especially after they are dead. 

I have to agree w/ all of the above

Aug 29, 2009 -- 11:47AM, christzen wrote:

When Reagan died and this stuff was coming from the left,I hoped that this was something the right would not stoop to in their turn.But this goes to show there are smallminded,mean little petty people on all sides.

I did not vote for Reagan. I was always saddened and angry by the lack of initiative regarding the AIDS epidemic among other things. However, I genuinely felt for the Reagan family and friends when he finally passed on after years of suffering from Alzheimer's disease. Perhaps folks could save the bashing for a day or so after Kennedy's burial. Small hope.

Flag sydneymoon August 29, 2009 12:38 PM EDT

The eulogies given by his sons, Ted Jr. and Patrick were very poignant. The tribute by Ted Jr. was especially eloquent.

Flag TENAC August 29, 2009 12:51 PM EDT

Ok, write it down.

I was wrong.

obama was honorable in his euology, didnt attempt to rename the healthless care bill.

Also Syd, I agree.  His sons were very good.

Flag sydneymoon August 29, 2009 1:44 PM EDT

Kudos to you, Tenac (and the prez didn't even use the teleprompter).Wink

Flag stitch813 August 29, 2009 8:58 PM EDT

Aug 29, 2009 -- 1:16AM, Messiahobama wrote:

A woman named Star comes to visit Charles Manson, and says what a good person he is, concerned about the environment.

Similarly, we see people coming to Ted Kennedy's funeral, saying he made some mistakes, but he was concerned about the poor.   Charles Manson made some mistakes.

At some point "mistakes" becomes a euphemism for murder, of Sharon Tate or Mary Jo Kopechne.

there are two conspiracy theories about Mary Jo.   Kennedy got Mary Jo pregnant, killed her, and then staged an accident to hide the murder.   Another theory is Nixon and those who killed JFK, also killed Robert Kennedy, and tried to kill Teddy but only got Mary Jo.  They rigged his car to have an accident, or put misleading highway signs before the bridge.

Most who kill others don't get national public eulogies.  There is more evidence to convict Ted Kennedy of murder than there was for OJ Simpson.  But Kennedy is white.  OJ is black.  Black men are in prison when white men are honored, who did the same things.

First off there are a lot of conspiracies with negative consequences on both sides and there always will be.   They are not FACTS they are conspiracies.  Secondly to compare Ted Kennedy a man who helped millions of Americans have their voices heard to Charles Manson is just plain disgusting.  I know the prospect of a public servant is one that is foreign to those on the right whose main ideology of life is eat or get eaten  but Ted Kennedy was a true public servant.  He served the public in millions in thousands of different ways and the American people LOVED him for it.  Get over it. 

Tenac, perhaps Bush should have used a teleprompter more(if he can even read that is) and you wouldn't be quite so envious of the current president who if nothing else knows how to read a beautiful well written speech in stead of gibberish.  Pathetic what you vultures do to people that don't share the same ideology as you.

Flag TENAC August 29, 2009 9:30 PM EDT

Aug 29, 2009 -- 8:58PM, stitch813 wrote:

Aug 29, 2009 -- 1:16AM, Messiahobama wrote:

Similarly, we see people coming to Ted Kennedy's funeral, saying he made some mistakes, but he was concerned about the poor.   Charles Manson made some mistakes.

there are two conspiracy theories about Mary Jo.   Kennedy got Mary Jo pregnant, killed her, and then staged an accident to hide the murder.   Another theory is Nixon and those who killed JFK, also killed Robert Kennedy, and tried to kill Teddy but only got Mary Jo.  They rigged his car to have an accident, or put misleading highway signs before the bridge.

First off there are a lot of conspiracies with negative consequences on both sides and there always will be.   They are not FACTS they are conspiracies.  Secondly to compare Ted Kennedy a man who helped millions of Americans have their voices heard to Charles Manson is just plain disgusting.  I know the prospect of a public servant is one that is foreign to those on the right whose main ideology of life is eat or get eaten  but Ted Kennedy was a true public servant.  He served the public in millions in thousands of different ways and the American people LOVED him for it.  Get over it. 

Tenac, perhaps Bush should have used a teleprompter more(if he can even read that is) and you wouldn't be quite so envious of the current president who if nothing else knows how to read a beautiful well written speech in stead of gibberish.  Pathetic what you vultures do to people that don't share the same ideology as you.

You do realize you quoted Messobama then addressed me.   I'll  give the benefit of the doubt it was on oversight, or you would like me to respond to this?

Flag Marysara722 August 29, 2009 9:47 PM EDT

Tenac, it looks like Stitch responded first to one and then the other.

*It was plain to see*

:)

Flag stitch813 August 29, 2009 10:00 PM EDT

Aug 29, 2009 -- 9:47PM, Marysara722 wrote:

Tenac, it looks like Stitch responded first to one and then the other.

*It was plain to see*

:)

Thank you Mary Sara.  I apologize to Tenac, but I really do not see the point in many of the right responses, they provoke a negative retort.  My mother taught me when I was little if you can't say something nice then say nothing at all, if a person doesn't warrant this when they die what hope do the living have. I'm not just speaking to Tenac so don't take this personally but I find a lot of comments on this thread and the other Kennedy thread to just be disgusting.

Flag Justme333 August 29, 2009 10:01 PM EDT

Aug 29, 2009 -- 1:43AM, Mlyons619 wrote:

Re:  Chappaquiddick-- Had Kennedy been charged, he probably would have been charged with DUI resulting in death, leaving the scene of an accident and failing to properly report to authorities. 

Kennedy paid the price by watching his aspirations for the Presidency end.  He is in the Hands of God now, and will face a Justice far more just and even-handed than your's or anything that man can offer. 

I could be wrong, but I thought he was charged - with leaving the scene of an accident, that he pled guilty, and got sentenced to two years - suspended - with community service.

Justme

Flag stitch813 August 29, 2009 10:04 PM EDT

Aug 29, 2009 -- 10:01PM, Justme333 wrote:

Aug 29, 2009 -- 1:43AM, Mlyons619 wrote:

Re:  Chappaquiddick-- Had Kennedy been charged, he probably would have been charged with DUI resulting in death, leaving the scene of an accident and failing to properly report to authorities.

I could be wrong, but I thought he was charged - with leaving the scene of an accident, that he pled guilty, and got sentenced to two years - suspended - with community service.

Justme

Yes he did, there is a documentary on CNN showing now and yes he did get charged and plead guilty with leaving the scene of an accident.  Since no one knows what really happened in that car perhaps it was a just punishment.

Flag Justme333 August 29, 2009 10:13 PM EDT

Aug 28, 2009 -- 12:41PM, Messiahobama wrote:

The Vatican has no comment on Ted.   Obama saw the Pope and delivered a mysterious sealed envelope from Ted to the Pope.  What did it say?  "Forgive me Father, I have sinned, and I've done 5 Hail Mary's, is that enough?  I can't give you all my sins, I'm senile now and have forgotten most of them, especially that Mary Jo thing"

Will the Catholic Church give him a funeral?   Is he eligible?   Or was the sealed envelope a request to be considered for sainthood?   St. Ted?

Apparently the Vatican is not as judgmental as you seem to be, since the Pope did answer Senator Kennedy's letter, and the Church did give a beautiful funeral mass for him - with two Cardinals no less, well one at the Mass and another at the internment.

Justme

Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook