Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Will ObamaCare do in days what the Prolife movement could not do in decades?
5 years ago  ::  Aug 09, 2009 - 3:09PM #1
MasterOfSparks

I came across this interesting (but I think wrong) article that may help sway THOSE people to Obama's side. THOSE people will love this.

www.examiner.com/x-4822-Des-Moines-Repub...

Obamacare could lead to published abortion records

One of the biggest cost-cutting measures of Obama’s healthcare reform is the digitization of medical records. It’s an idea supported by both the right and the left; one first brought to the forefront of the healthcare debate. [snip] The problem arises when all those medical records are made available to the government through a centrally run insurance program. [snip]  Every trip to the doctor we take will be accessible with a few keystrokes from a Washington bureaucrat. And while there are many secrets about our private medical treatment we individuals would like to keep, I can’t imagine one bigger than an abortion.

Once the electronic system is set up, everyone’s records will be at risk, but if you’ve ever received an abortion, yours will be a prime target [snip]  waiting to be accessed by the wrong person that eventually someone isn’t going to make those names public?

Of course President Obama wouldn’t do that . [snip]  [but] there is no guarantee you’ll always have a friendly face in the White House, and those records will be there waiting forever. [snip]  It will only be a matter of time until a pro-life advocate gains access to the abortion list and makes it public. [snip]  I would hate to see women who have had abortions be forced to wear scarlet letters; to have to explain to their husbands why they never told them about their abortion; to have to relive a rape; to have to walk into work knowing that their co-workers couldn’t resist peaking at the abortion list website which contained their name.

[snip]

What teenage girl would go to a doctor for an abortion when they knew the whole world would find out? I’m sure the really desperate ones would find a way: Back-alleys and coat-hangers, as they used to point out when I was kid. Because what doctor would break the law and risk their entire medical career by not filing the proper electronic paperwork with the government? Not many. Abortions would be reduced dramatically.

The thing I find most irritating about conservatives isn't just that their opinions so rarely have any basis in reality. It's not even their incessant refusal to change those opinions when presented with irrefutable facts and logic. But rather it's their complete bewilderment that anyone else might think they should.

---------------------------------------------------------

There's nothing at all new about the venomous anti-Obama sentiment coming from the right. Its just what happens when an effective and popular Democrat leads the country in a positive direction. Kennedy and Johnson had the John Birch Society. Carter and Clinton had their lunatic detractors. What has changed, however, is that the Birchers and Clinton Death List crowd used to be the extreme fringe and the GOP saw them as an embarrassment. Now the crazies are the top GOP leadership and only a few Republicans are calling for sanity. Why? Because Republicans have no ideas and nothing else to sell.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 09, 2009 - 6:32PM #2
Mlyons619

Dear US NEWS & POLITICS Community,

Abortion debate does not belong here.  This thread is being moved to the Abortion Debate board where such discussions are more appropriate.

mlyons619
Beliefnet Community Co-Host, US NEWS & POLITICS Board
"No freedom without education"
            --Thomas Jefferson

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition"
            -- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 09, 2009 - 7:39PM #3
mountain_man

Aug 9, 2009 -- 3:09PM, MasterOfSparks wrote:

I came across this interesting (but I think wrong) article that may help sway THOSE people to Obama's side. THOSE people will love this.

Why would anyone "love" the lies spewed by those bought and paid for by the health insurance industry?

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 11, 2009 - 6:34AM #4
karbie

The only thing I've heard President Obama say was that Federal funds would not be used to pay for abortions, but that abortions will still be legal. This way he is not asking the PL's to pay for something that they oppose.The people the insurance companies want to be able to cull out are people who are at risk for genetic diseases like Huntington's , or diabetes, or any condition that might make them at high risks to profits. From there it can be just the people who have been to the doctor or hospital more often than the norm. The best thing that he has directly said was that it was no longer going to be business as usual for the mega-medical corporations.

We still have medical insurance, but at least once a month we learn of something else that will either raise the deductible or they've decided not to provide some medications. In the last two months we lost our dental and vision coverage.

If you want to see where the industry is making money, look at any bill from a doctor and see how much they had to write off between what the patient would pay without insurance and how much the doctor actually gets. It would be called "price fixing" in any other industry.

I'm just waiting for them to stop paying for miscarriages by claiming they didn't know if it was due to the action of a third party who would pay instead of them. Last time I got a letter  asking if a third party was involved it was for a kidney infection.

The one thing we know about our health care in this country is too many people don't have it, regardless of what the problem is.

"You are letting your opinion be colored by facts again."
'When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."
these are both from my father.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 11, 2009 - 2:43PM #5
Tmarie64

The only medical expense that my insurance company does not force to write off  is transportation.

The ambulance bill for my youngest daughter in November was $380,  the insurance paid $304, we paid $76.  The Life Flight, air ambulance, was $7000, insurance paid $5600, we paid $1400.

Doctors, hospitals, dentists... all have to write of a percentage, a large percentage, of their actual bill to remain in network.  The insurance company actually tells us what our responsibility is, which I'm not complaining about because if they didn't tell me I would have paid the radiology bill that the insurance company refused because 1. no documentation was sent in, and 2.  they didn't bill the insurance for more than a year, 14 months to be exact.  I went to the ins. co. website and viewed my claims, saw "Patient Responsibility--$0" and called them to make sure I was not misunderstanding.

James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 16, 2009 - 2:07AM #6
karbie

Insurance fighting is something I've listed as a hobby for years because I do so much of it. My husband got his last visits kicked out by telling us :

a. He went to an out -of network doctor. (Wrong; I picked this doctor from their list and also  checked with his office.) 

b. Immunizations by an out-of -panel doctor aren't covered. (Wrong. It wasn't an immunization.)

c. Medicare has refused to pay for this visit. (Yes, they tend to do that when you submit claims on someone before they are elligible for benefits.)

Obama wants to change the staus quo on health insurance? YAY!!!!!  There's nothing like being on hold for 20 minutes while being told how to lower your blood pressure  or having spent so much time dealing with issues that when you ask your then 3-year -old to pick up his toys he tells you "Not right now. I'm on a business call...'

It's just another industry where the people higher up on the food chain think of all the things they can do for themselves with the money paid in for benefits.  I think the first battle is to make sure we all have minimal coverage and then argue over what procedures will and won't be covered. It's certainly less expensive monetarily to have an abortion than a hospital delivery, especially if something goes wrong for either the mother or fetus during delivery. Do I think that might be a factor, along with not being able to afford pre-natal care, that might swing the decision towards abortion for young couples or someone on their own? Pro choice also includes feeling like you've got a choice.

"You are letting your opinion be colored by facts again."
'When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."
these are both from my father.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 16, 2009 - 10:01PM #7
bluehorserunning

Everybody keeps on talking about how the Massachsets plan (?) is a success 'because something like 98% of the people there have insurance now.'  Well, yes - they're forced by the state to pay for insurance.  Unfortunately, that doesn't mean that they actually have any more access to health care than they did before.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 16, 2009 - 10:13PM #8
mountain_man

Aug 16, 2009 -- 10:01PM, bluehorserunning wrote:

Everybody keeps on talking about how the Massachsets plan (?) is a success 'because something like 98% of the people there have insurance now.'  Well, yes - they're forced by the state to pay for insurance.  Unfortunately, that doesn't mean that they actually have any more access to health care than they did before.

That's right. Those that cannot afford health insurance usually buy the least expensive policy they can. Most often when they get sick they get dropped. Their deductibles are high, and annual ceilings low. Either the state ends up paying or the person has to file bankruptcy. Some help.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 16, 2009 - 10:27PM #9
bluehorserunning

What an effing scam.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 17, 2009 - 12:26AM #10
mountain_man

Aug 16, 2009 -- 10:27PM, bluehorserunning wrote:

What an effing scam.

It's a scam that is being protected by many congresspersons - on both sides of the aisle.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook