Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4
Switch to Forum Live View Texas Gets Another Creationist School Board Leader
5 years ago  ::  Jul 21, 2009 - 3:52PM #31
davelaw40

so do you need to do a second list of affiliate members those either close to Coe or those who participate in Family sponsored Bible studies?

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 21, 2009 - 5:12PM #32
dblad

Or maybe we could just play "Six degrees of separation".

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 21, 2009 - 7:36PM #33
TPaine

Jul 21, 2009 -- 3:52PM, davelaw40 wrote:

so do you need to do a second list of affiliate members those either close to Coe or those who participate in Family sponsored Bible studies?

Actually I thought the list of current congressional members was sufficient to show how far this Christian Reconstructionist group has infiltrated the government. Writing an encyclopedia sized document to list all members past and present worldwide was not my intent.

IMO, Coe is one sick puppy. He repeatedly compares the need to worship Jesus with the intensity the Nazis showed in following Hitler. In fact murderous dictators are often his models. The following is from an NBC News report in which Coe compares the words of Jesus to the actions of Mao Zedong's Red Guard:

In one videotaped sermon from 1989, Coe provides this account of the atrocities committed under Chairman Mao in Communist China: "I've seen pictures of the young men in the Red Guard…they would bring in this young man’s mother…he would take an axe and cut her head off. They have to put the purposes of the Red Guard ahead of father, mother, brother sister and their own life. That was a covenant, a pledge. That's what Jesus said."

deepbackground.msnbc.msn.com/archive/200...

"It is always to be taken for granted, that those who oppose an equality of rights never mean the exclusion should take place on themselves." -- Thomas Paine: Dissertations on First Principles of Government (July 7, 1795)
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2009 - 1:36PM #34
dblad

Jul 21, 2009 -- 3:52PM, davelaw40 wrote:

Here you go Dave...

Historically, the Family has been strongly Republican, but it includes Democrats, too. There's Mike McIntyre of North Carolina, for instance, a vocal defender of putting the Ten Commandments in public places, and Sen. Mark Pryor, the pro-war Arkansas Democrat responsible for scuttling Obama's labor agenda. Sen. Pryor explained to me the meaning of bipartisanship he'd learned through the Family: "Jesus didn't come to take sides. He came to take over." And by Jesus, the Family means the Family.

Sex and power inside "the C Street House"

By Jeff Sharlet

Source: www.salon.com/news/feature/2009/07/21/c_...

About the writer

JCambridge-based journalist Jeff Sharlet is the author of

"The Family: The Secret Fundamentalism at the Heart of American Power" and a contributing editor for Harper's and Rolling Stone. He is also co-editor of a new book, "Believer, Beware: First-Person Dispatches from the Margins of Faith."

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2009 - 2:48PM #35
TPaine

Actually, I'm in the process of reading Jeff Sharlot's book The Family, The Secret Fundamentalism At The Heart Of American Power. I recommend it highly.

"It is always to be taken for granted, that those who oppose an equality of rights never mean the exclusion should take place on themselves." -- Thomas Paine: Dissertations on First Principles of Government (July 7, 1795)
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2009 - 6:07PM #36
dblad

Jul 22, 2009 -- 2:48PM, TPaine wrote:

Actually, I'm in the process of reading Jeff Sharlot's book The Family, The Secret Fundamentalism At The Heart Of American Power. I recommend it highly.

Thanks Tpaine, I'll check it out. I guess I have been living under a rock. I never heard of this "Family" or this house on C street until this thread. Yes, I know, it is supposed to be SECRET...you just never know what you'r going to run into when you start checking out some of these posts.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 23, 2009 - 1:30PM #37
TPaine

Jul 22, 2009 -- 6:07PM, dblad wrote:

Thanks Tpaine, I'll check it out. I guess I have been living under a rock. I never heard of this "Family" or this house on C street until this thread. Yes, I know, it is supposed to be SECRET...you just never know what you'r going to run into when you start checking out some of these posts.

Actually, dblad, I wouldn't know about it either if I hadn't seen Rachel Maddow interview Jeff Sharlet on her MSNBC show. He was actually there to talk about the Senator Ensign affair and the help he was given covering it up for as long as he did by his housemates at the C Street House. Naturally they talked about Jeff's book and I decided I had to have it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 24, 2009 - 10:59AM #38
dblad

In her autobiography, “Living History,” Senator Clinton  describes Coe as "a genuinely loving spiritual mentor and guide to anyone,  regardless of party or faith, who wants to deepen his or her relationship with  God.” She writes that “Doug became a source of strength and friendship" during  her often-troubled White House years.

Their relationship began in February 1993 with a prayer  lunch at The Cedars, the Fellowship’s Virginia estate on the Potomac River. NBC  News reviewed the First Lady’s official daily calendar, recently made public by  the National Archives, and found other gatherings including a “Private Meeting”  with Coe in her West Wing office on December 19, 1997, and a “Meet & Greet  with Business Leaders” on Feb. 4, 1998. “Doug Coe introduces business leaders to  the First Lady,” the calendar states.

Asked about Coe’s influence on Hillary Clinton, people close to her told NBC  News that she does not consider him one of her leading spiritual advisors. They  added that Senator Clinton has never contributed to Coe’s group, is not a member  of The Fellowship and has never heard the sermons obtained by NBC News. And,  they said, Doug Coe is not Hillary Clinton’s minister.

From - that deepbackground msnbc link provided by Tpaine

Hillary seems a little fuzzy with her memory regarding Coe... or maybe she came to realize it was not PC to be involved with the RR.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook