The thread has been edited.

Switch to Forum Live View Could Cheney's Purported Assassination Ring Have Targeted Americans?
5 years ago  ::  Jul 16, 2009 - 9:39PM #1
religionfree

Enemies of the state?  Lone wolves?  One of the million+ "terrorists" on the FBI's terrorist watch list?  "Either you are with us or you are with the terrorists?"

How many people have mysteriously died or have been "suicided" since 2001?  How many attempts have been made on the lives of innocent people since 2001?

As this article points out, assassinations have been an on-going phenomenon for as long as the mind can remember.  Assassination rings are nothing at all new.  

So, what is this program that was halted by Panetta?  A hit squad to assassinate al-Queda members?  Nothing new about that.  

The Democrats' Selective Amnesia on Assassination:  Clinton Did It and Obama Does It Too

by Jeremy Scahill
CommonDreams

Members of Congress have expressed outrage over the "secret" CIA assassination program that former vice president Dick Cheney allegedly ordered concealed from Congress. But this program-and the media descriptions of it-sounds a lot like the assassination policy implemented by President Bill Clinton, particularly during his second term in office.

Regarding the Bush-era assassination program, there is great reason to be skeptical that the program CIA Director Leon Panetta alleges was concealed from Congress is actually the program the public is currently being led to believe it is.  Why would the CIA need to conceal a program that never was implemented and, if it never was implemented, why did Panetta need to shut it down? Moreover, who was running this inactive program from the minute Obama was sworn in until June 24 when Panetta supposedly announced its cancellation?

Now, if it turns out that the actual plan Cheney allegedly concealed is something other than what has been publicly described, that will be a different matter. For instance, if the CIA had a secret post-9/11 program planning assassinations on US soil or of US citizens and it was ordered concealed by Cheney. Or, if it was a plan to target in other ways "enemies of the state" within the U.S. as Seymour Hersh has suggested: "The Central Intelligence Agency was very deeply involved in domestic activities against people they thought to be enemies of the state," Hersh said in March. "Without any legal authority for it. They haven't been called on it yet. That does happen."

It is pretty clear that when the Bush administration took over, it picked up the Clinton administration's policy on assassination and ran with it-albeit with more of a missionary zeal for killing and a removal of some of the layers of lawyering. In short, the Bush team expanded and streamlined the longstanding U.S. government assassination program.

"When I don't know who I Am, I follow You
When I know who I am, You & I are One"

Namaste
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 16, 2009 - 9:45PM #2
Jstanl

It seems pretty clear to me that they were trying to hire Martians to do their dirty work and the Martians turned them down.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 16, 2009 - 10:14PM #3
newyawka

good for scahill to point out the moral equivalence of R and D on this. that said, i have little problem with picking off al qaeda bigs. i have big problems with maufacturing a pack of lies to invade a sovereign nation that had nothng to do with anything an using jingoism as a 2x4 to get away with it, and with a government that thinks it not only doesn't, but shouldn't, answer to the people.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 17, 2009 - 12:36AM #4
Mlyons619

This topic appears to be more appropriate for the CONSPIRACIES & THEORIES board.  You may continue your discussions there.

mlyons619
Beliefnet Community Co-Host, US NEWS & POLITICS
"No freedom without education"
            --Thomas Jefferson

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition"
            -- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook