Switch to Forum Live View Sotomayor and Anti-Catholicism
5 years ago  ::  Jul 06, 2009 - 10:38PM #1
Alternativelyorthodox

I just saw something on a blog that kind of creeped me out.  Apparently, when asked what might give them pause about Sonia Sotomayor's qualifications for the Supreme Court, a caller on NPR's Talk of the Nation shared her distaste for having "yet another Catholic" on the bench, mentioned something about abortion, but then went on to say about Catholics: "they believe in having a lot of children and we have a population explosion here."

What on earth does that have to do with a woman's qualifications for being a Supreme Court justice? That comment gave me the creeps. It just seemed awfully bigoted.  Anyway, this blog discusses a bit about the history of anti-Catholicism in America, which I guess I was a little aware of, but didn't realize the extent:

community.beliefnet.com/gregd/blog/

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 07, 2009 - 6:40PM #2
Justme333

Jul 6, 2009 -- 10:38PM, Alternativelyorthodox wrote:

I just saw something on a blog that kind of creeped me out.  Apparently, when asked what might give them pause about Sonia Sotomayor's qualifications for the Supreme Court, a caller on NPR's Talk of the Nation shared her distaste for having "yet another Catholic" on the bench, mentioned something about abortion, but then went on to say about Catholics: "they believe in having a lot of children and we have a population explosion here."

What on earth does that have to do with a woman's qualifications for being a Supreme Court justice? That comment gave me the creeps. It just seemed awfully bigoted.  Anyway, this blog discusses a bit about the history of anti-Catholicism in America, which I guess I was a little aware of, but didn't realize the extent:

community.beliefnet.com/gregd/blog/

Well, you know, there are all kinds of bigots in the world.  Some people dislike (fear - I think most bigotry is based on fear) blacks, some people dislike Jews, some people dislike Latinos, and some people dislike Catholics.  Luckily, I believe that this type of mindset is waning, and there are fewer and fewer who feel this way. I tend to chalk it up to fear and ignorance and try to ignore it.

Justme

"Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there."  Will Rogers

"Give to those who ask, and don't turn away from those who want to borrow."  Matthew 5:42

"Charity is no substitute for justice withheld."         St. Augustine

"Your love for God is only as great as the love you have for the person you love least."  Dorothy Day

"If you want peace, work for justice." Pope Paul VI
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 15, 2009 - 10:22PM #3
PJW51

Looks like  someone  forgot to  read the Constitution    the  no religous  test clause  .

That  the lady is  RC   should  make no difference  to anyone .

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook