Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View The First Family's Church Shopping finally ends
5 years ago  ::  Jun 30, 2009 - 3:09PM #1
Agnosticspirit

The First Family has been shopping around for a church even before their move to 100 Pennsylvania Avenue.... Looks like it's finally ended, and they'll be attending services at a non-denominational Christian church in Camp David... Apparently, Evergreen Church was dedicated by  his predecessor's daddy, GW Bush.

In a secular society, why should we care about which church our President and family attend?  Why should it matter? Regardless of my own DISbelief, I'm sure America is breathing a sigh of relief.....the right wing blogosphere is probably more disappointed by President Obama's Christianity since it contradicts their rumors of a "closet Muslim".... Tongue out And, since we're not evolved enough to accept a president who doesn't worship AT ALL....  Never mind that whole First Amendment that grants  everyone the freedom  to decide where, how, or IF one worships... a non-denominational church is less.... controversial.

I'm glad for them that they found a spiritual home..... Was their choice driven by religious belief, security concerns, the desire to worship privately without thousands of cameras or a combination of factors?

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 30, 2009 - 4:44PM #2
Adelphe

Politically astute, methinks.

Avoids all the internecine squabbles among Christians as to whether he's really one depending on which denom he selected.

Sort of...

Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason, my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and I will not retract anything, for to go against conscience would be neither right nor safe.  Here I stand.  I can do no other.  God help me.  Amen.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 30, 2009 - 4:52PM #3
Lonesentinel

Jun 30, 2009 -- 4:44PM, Adelphe wrote:

Politically astute, methinks.

Avoids all the internecine squabbles among Christians as to whether he's really one depending on which denom he selected.

Sort of...

*chuckle*...imagine the scandal it would have created if he had converted to Mormonism.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 30, 2009 - 4:56PM #4
Adelphe

Uh-oh...

Ironhold's here...  Tongue out

Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason, my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and I will not retract anything, for to go against conscience would be neither right nor safe.  Here I stand.  I can do no other.  God help me.  Amen.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 30, 2009 - 4:58PM #5
Ken

Obama is a president. The only thing he worships is his own power.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 30, 2009 - 7:11PM #6
Adelphe

Jun 30, 2009 -- 4:58PM, Ken wrote:

Obama is a president. The only thing he worships is his own power.

True.

And if he's going to give the pretense of worship, it best be with dignity and a watered down sort of nebulous sort of interfaith sort of...something.

ETA:  Thought I'd add the Tongue out for the challenged--in case any cheerleaders drop by with RICHUS and mock indignation...

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 30, 2009 - 8:18PM #7
Tmarie64

This is news?  A "hot topic"?

~~sigh~~Frown

James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 01, 2009 - 9:23AM #8
Xristocharis

I think it's only fair to point out that the term "non-denominational" really isn't all that helpful, since such a church is still a denomination, even if it's just a denomination of one congregation. Further, still, is that the vast majority of churches which self-describe themselves as non-denominational usually affirm a fairly similar credo and praxis. It's not a neutral ecclesial or theological category by any means.

More to the point, I think where Obama and his family worship is about as important and relevant as, where my uncle and his family attend church. That is to say, it's really only important for them. As a Christian I certainly hope Obama makes the attempt to--as a person, not as a president--dedicate himself to the principles of the Christian faith (as I would any other fellow Christian). Though, I will admit, I think being a Christian and placing oneself in the position he has (i.e. President of the United States) will no doubt create all sorts of personal problems for him, but those thoughts probably belong to a different discussion.

-Jon

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist." - Dom Hélder Câmara
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 01, 2009 - 10:06AM #9
Tmarie64

Yes, it's unimportant.... Yet made it in to Hot Topics.

Plane crash survivors from that jet from Comoros...

More scandal from Sanford...

A Duke University official has been accused of offering his adopted 5 year old son for sex....

No, no REAL news out there... Nothing more important that where Obama goes to church.

Why was this not an issue with geedumbya?  Why are the stupidest little nitpicky details of his day so important?  

James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 01, 2009 - 10:18AM #10
Tmarie64

It's still news... More important than where the president goes to church.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook