Switch to Forum Live View Holocaust Museam vs United Unitarian Church
5 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2009 - 12:35AM #1
MasterOfSparks

With all the conservatives speaking out against the attack on the Holocaust Museam I can't help but recall their total silence when the United Unitarian Church was attacked.

Is it because you all see UUs as liberals and therefore not one of your own while you embrace Israel* since you connect that nation with the looooong overdue return of your Jewish messiah?

*Although I'm sure you can't wait to crank up the death camps for Jews who don't convert the moment one of your religious leaders announces the judgement day is upon us.

But why so much about the one and not a peep about the other?

The thing I find most irritating about conservatives isn't just that their opinions so rarely have any basis in reality. It's not even their incessant refusal to change those opinions when presented with irrefutable facts and logic. But rather it's their complete bewilderment that anyone else might think they should.

---------------------------------------------------------

There's nothing at all new about the venomous anti-Obama sentiment coming from the right. Its just what happens when an effective and popular Democrat leads the country in a positive direction. Kennedy and Johnson had the John Birch Society. Carter and Clinton had their lunatic detractors. What has changed, however, is that the Birchers and Clinton Death List crowd used to be the extreme fringe and the GOP saw them as an embarrassment. Now the crazies are the top GOP leadership and only a few Republicans are calling for sanity. Why? Because Republicans have no ideas and nothing else to sell.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2009 - 5:44AM #2
Adelphe

Jun 13, 2009 -- 12:35AM, MasterOfSparks wrote:

With all the conservatives speaking out against the attack on the Holocaust Museam I can't help but recall their total silence when the United Unitarian Church was attacked.

Is it because you all see UUs as liberals and therefore not one of your own while you embrace Israel* since you connect that nation with the looooong overdue return of your Jewish messiah?

*Although I'm sure you can't wait to crank up the death camps for Jews who don't convert the moment one of your religious leaders announces the judgement day is upon us.

But why so much about the one and not a peep about the other?

You are referring to conservative Christians?  Only a tiny subset hold to the "Israel can do no wrong" mantra.

And I wonder if you were just as dismayed by the total silence on the Baptist preacher who was killed in church in Illinois a couple of months ago.

Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason, my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and I will not retract anything, for to go against conscience would be neither right nor safe.  Here I stand.  I can do no other.  God help me.  Amen.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2009 - 9:17AM #3
dsfin

The Rabbis say the Holocaust was a punishment from God.

What is the purpose of the museam?

Why are we Americans using our tax dollars to fund the museam?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2009 - 10:41AM #4
LeahOne

And which rabbis would those be, Dsfin?  As anyone who's actually Jewish knows, there are several branches of Judaism.  And in close to 50 years of listening to quite a few different Rabbis, I have not heard that view yet.

So obviously you're speaking from an entirely different Jewish tradition.  Or (Much more likely!), from outside of Jewish tradition and culture.

I"d like to know why we the taxpayers get to foot the bill for all those ecxtra light bulbs some Christians like to stick all over government buildings every December.  Not to mention assorted trees, etc......

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2009 - 10:44AM #5
LeahOne

@ MasterofSparks:  You're wrong:  they won't need any concentration camps for us because Jesus will supposedly judge everyone and send us dastardly defiant (=FAITHFUL to our Covenant with YHVH!) Jewish Jews to be annihilated - and then they will all forget about us as though we'd never been......

At least that's what I've been told by 'rapture-ready' Christians. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2009 - 11:00AM #6
dsfin

Leah

The same Rabbis who say allowing Gay Pride Parade in Jereusalem

will bring the wrath of God on Jews.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2009 - 3:48PM #7
LeahOne

And what makes those rabbis the spokespeople for all of Israel (the People, not the State)?  NOTHING.  The ONLY Jews they speak for are those of us who recognize their authority. 

You're speaking of an ultraorthodox fringe group which is ignored by most of Judaism.  Just as all he Protestant sects ignore the Pope's words......you seem to not understand that there is more than one denomination of Judaism.  Most of us don't have that hang-up about a 'one true' undertanding of our faith. 

It's as I stated before, Dsfin:  You're speaking from an entiely different denominational POV.  A very small one, I might add. 

We've had some discussions about homosexuality re: Judaism on the Judaism boards - and I'd suggest to anyone that first they go back and actually study the language used in Leviticus (in the ORIGINAL language, the Hebrew!), and educate themselves about the customs of the other ancient cultures in the area.  That would give you a clearer basis for understanding what is being forbiden and why.....

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2009 - 6:53PM #8
dsfin

Jun 13, 2009 -- 3:48PM, LeahOne wrote:

And what makes those rabbis the spokespeople for all of Israel (the People, not the State)?  NOTHING.  The ONLY Jews they speak for are those of us who recognize their authority. 

You're speaking of an ultraorthodox fringe group which is ignored by most of Judaism.  Just as all he Protestant sects ignore the Pope's words......you seem to not understand that there is more than one denomination of Judaism.  Most of us don't have that hang-up about a 'one true' undertanding of our faith. 

It's as I stated before, Dsfin:  You're speaking from an entiely different denominational POV.  A very small one, I might add. 

We've had some discussions about homosexuality re: Judaism on the Judaism boards - and I'd suggest to anyone that first they go back and actually study the language used in Leviticus (in the ORIGINAL language, the Hebrew!), and educate themselves about the customs of the other ancient cultures in the area.  That would give you a clearer basis for understanding what is being forbiden and why.....

The only Rabbis who speak against Homosexual behavior, abortion and a punishing God are a small group called Orthodox.

They believe Deuteronomy 28 and Leveticus 26 have meaning in our lives today.

If you read the Kings, you will see the good Kings got rid of the Homosexuals and the bad Kings let them take over.

Are you a part of the Reconstructionist movement?

You are right, there aren't any Prophets in Israel today...Sad.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2009 - 9:56PM #9
Merope

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone.

Note that while a relaxed (site-wide) ROC standard applied to the discussion on that forum, the tighter forum ROCs apply to discussion on this thread from this point forward.

Merope
Beliefnet Community Host
Hot Topics Zone

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook