Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View $232 Million Lottery Won
5 years ago  ::  Jun 06, 2009 - 10:35PM #1
Stardove

$232 Million

It has the makings of a Hollywood script: A young rancher struggling to eke out a living in one of the poorest corners of the nation claims one of the biggest undivided jackpots in U.S. lottery history — $232 million — after buying the ticket in a town called Winner.

......................................"I want to thank the Lord for giving me this opportunity and blessing me with this great fortune. I will not squander it," he said.

More at link.

Even if he squanders it, it would take some time to go through that much money,  with the exception of the US government.  Tongue out

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 06, 2009 - 10:44PM #2
religionfree

After taxes (the government) his take is $88.5 million.

"When I don't know who I Am, I follow You
When I know who I am, You & I are One"

Namaste
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 06, 2009 - 10:50PM #3
christzen

Jun 6, 2009 -- 10:44PM, religionfree wrote:

If those numbers are correct, that is criminal.Literally.That the government can come in and take $145 million of it for themselves is nothing but blatant highway robbery.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 06, 2009 - 10:50PM #4
Stardove

Good grief.  He could blow through that in a hurry. 

They even tax us when we die.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 06, 2009 - 10:53PM #5
christzen

Jun 6, 2009 -- 10:50PM, Stardove wrote:

Good grief.  He could blow through that in a hurry. 

They even tax us when we die.

Yes,whatever,if any,this guy manages to put away for his heirs will be taxed AGAIN,after they have already robbed him blind the first time.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 07, 2009 - 9:15AM #6
Christianlib

PLEASE, somebody rob me and leave me with nearly $90 million.

And, I don't believe the confiscatory numbers in the tax amount assertion are correct.  Let's see a link or some math, please.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 07, 2009 - 10:57AM #7
religionfree

Jun 7, 2009 -- 9:15AM, Christianlib wrote:

PLEASE, somebody rob me and leave me with nearly $90 million.

And, I don't believe the confiscatory numbers in the tax amount assertion are correct.  Let's see a link or some math, please.

Read:

College Confidential-how does $232mm lottery winner net only $88.5mm?

The Fastlane to Millions

Yup. I ran the calculation. Twenty years of annual payments totaling X, discounted to the present at 8% equals roughly 49% of X. I don't know what discount rate the lotteries use, but I think the cash payout is usually 40-48% of the annuity total. Taxes take about a third of what's left, leaving about 33% of the stated prize amount.

"When I don't know who I Am, I follow You
When I know who I am, You & I are One"

Namaste
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 07, 2009 - 6:58PM #8
Christianlib

If taxes take "about a third," that would leave 66%, not 33%.

But again if I could be left with ONLY $90, I think I could figure out how to live on that.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 07, 2009 - 11:16PM #9
costrel

Now he'll be able to get a phone, which he does not have (a land line, since out there in that part of South Dakota, one doesn't get cell phone service, or if one does, it's very sporadic -- i.e., standing on one foot at the top of a hill west of town, facing the wind). And maybe even Internet service!

I'm sure he'll be quite happy with what he gets, even after taxes.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 07, 2009 - 11:33PM #10
Agnosticspirit

Jun 7, 2009 -- 11:16PM, costrel wrote:

Now he'll be able to get a phone, which he does not have (a land line, since out there in that part of South Dakota, one doesn't get cell phone service, or if one does, it's very sporadic -- i.e., standing on one foot at the top of a hill west of town, facing the wind). And maybe even Internet service!

I'm sure he'll be quite happy with what he gets, even after taxes.

Hi costrel, nice to see you! Um.... having lived to the north of you for a few years, I wasn't aware there WERE any hills in that part of the country............... :)

Not having any mountains on the horizon was far worse for me than the  ffffffffrrrrrrreeeeeezzzzzzzzzzing Siberian temperatures....

Is this true... there are some parts of the Dakotas that don't have internet? Surprised !!!???? Oh my...

It's really a shame the "gubmint" gets so much of the cut.... considering his estate will be taxed again when he passes from this life.

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook