Switch to Forum Live View Wow, can a Newt can change its spots? --- Gingrich backs down on Sotomayer
5 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2009 - 2:05PM #1
Agnosticspirit

Well, wonder of wonders! Newt..... (now why do I think of an amphibious critter whenever I hear that name)? Wink has actually THOUGHT about his previous accusations directed at Sotomayer (remember, he claimed she was a racist) and actually GONE BACK on this .... According to the newt, she's not really a racist although he is concerned for the bias she may bring to the bench.

That's a reasonable position. We're always concerned about what bias a SCOTUS nominee may bring to the bench....

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090603/ap_on_go_su...

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 09, 2009 - 1:01PM #2
Agnosticspirit

This thread has been moved to USNP from Hot Topics Zone

--- agnosticspirit - Bnet Community Host

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 09, 2009 - 1:11PM #3
appy20

Yeah, but he is still slimy.  And venomous.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 09, 2009 - 1:27PM #4
mecdukebec
On the one hand, Newt has to inflame the Base, to keep it loyal; on the other hand, appearing as a racist Republican, in that familiar mold, won't sell well for his Presidential bid in 2012, so time to retract.

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 09, 2009 - 1:33PM #5
Ebon

I'm still not sure what to make of Newt. At one point, he had some interesting stuff to say (for example, he's spoken at length about the coming nanotech revolution) but then he seemed to lose his mind during the 90's and translated "co-equal body" as "sabotage everything".

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 09, 2009 - 1:36PM #6
mecdukebec
Newt said recently that he felt more at home in the Medieval period, what with iron maidens, soaring, flying buttresses, and so on.

I don't think that he's ever read Henry Adams' the "Virgin and the Dynamo," as that would, alas, require reading, but Adams shows how a real intellect can look at the European past, and understand it, without wanting to bring back torture and religious warfare.

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 09, 2009 - 1:47PM #7
Ebon

Jun 9, 2009 -- 1:36PM, mecdukebec wrote:

Newt said recently that he felt more at home in the Medieval period, what with iron maidens, soaring, flying buttresses, and so on. I don't think that he's ever read Henry Adams' the "Virgin and the Dynamo," as that would, alas, require reading, but Adams shows how a real intellect can look at the European past, and understand it, without wanting to bring back torture and religious warfare.

I think, in this instance, Newt has succombed to the temptation of a lot of history buffs (including me) of thinking we would thrive under the social and cultural mores of a particular period while forgetting that those same social and cultural mores would be entirely alien to us. While Newt might think he's enjoy Medieval Europe, I'm pretty sure he would find the lack of indoor plumbing fairly off-putting.

But as i said, I'm as guilty as anyone. I've always thought I'd make a rather good pirate: Cutlass in one hand, flintlock in the other, firecrackers in the beard, terrorising the Carribean. My SO once suggested to a friend that I would have made a good knight. Said friend looked at me (large, hairy, heavily scarred) and said that while he could see that, he could equally see me with a furry hat and a warhammer, pillaging eastern Europe.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 09, 2009 - 1:53PM #8
appy20

I think Newt would fit in well as a bishop in Rome during the black plague of 1348-

I wouldn't mine traveling back in time and being a Plantagenet for a day.

I would like to come back though.  In time for a bath....

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 10, 2009 - 12:42AM #9
whirlinggal

Yeah--he tried to backpeddle on the Sunday news shows and got grilled for trying to say he "didn't really mean what he said."

He just looks more and more stupid.

And he has ALWAYS looked and sounded like a highly prejudiced person throughout his political career.

If the Rs choose him as a prez candidate--something he's hoping fpr--they'll have a BIGGER disaster than they had with Palin.

I know it's hard to imagine that.

But Newt is an idiot--who thinks that it's everyone ELSE who is stupid--not him.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook