Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View Swine Flu Hits Israel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2009 - 11:26AM #11
Fodaoson

Apr 28, 2009 -- 11:29AM, KindredSai wrote:

www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1081774.htm...

How do you think it will affect the Middle East? Is it true that Israel would like to rename it to Mexican Flu due to Jewish and Muslim sensitivities over pork? That's PC gone ridiculous.

No that is Pc gone stupid.  The origin of the virus is swine, all three strains. This current outbreak in Mexico apparently originated in a young boy on an American Corporate Pig/swine farm in Mexico.

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2009 - 5:47PM #12
CharikIeia

Apr 30, 2009 -- 9:08AM, shmuelgoldstein wrote:

Apr 30, 2009 -- 6:29AM, KindredSai wrote:

1. I can't really see the malicious intent

It's in the title, genius.  חכם בלילה

You could have said "Egypt Kills Porkers to Keep Out Swine Flu", or something like that, and go with that story. Or a more innocuous "Swine Flu Hits Middle East". But no, you have to write in apparent glee "Swine Flu Hits Israel". It almost sounds like you are rejoicing. It sounds like you are saying "Hey, these Jews don't eat pork, eh? Then how can swine flu get there? HA! "

If you don't see that, you are either blind or dishonest.

Excuse me shmuel but this is nonsense.

Maybe I underestimate the disdain of some Jews for swine, but what you write here really has no substance from a normal Western point of view. The opening post clearly addresses this language thing ("call it Mexican!") which is not a general "M.E." topic, so your suggestion of another title is off-topic in a sense. I added the Egypt stuff later, because it became news only later (as KindredSai already pointed out).

By the way, in a political correct move of idiocy, the main German TV news this evening didn't speak of "swine flu" any more, but called it "the new flu"... Argh!

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2009 - 5:57PM #13
KindredSai

The WHO has officially renamed it to H1N1 Influenza due to affects on pork trade, though according to Al Jazeera there's an on going debate whether patient zero actually caught it from pigs, I guess there's multiple reasons for name changing at this point in time.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook