Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Swine Flu Hits Israel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 28, 2009 - 11:29AM #1
KindredSai

www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1081774.htm...

How do you think it will affect the Middle East? Is it true that Israel would like to rename it to Mexican Flu due to Jewish and Muslim sensitivities over pork? That's PC gone ridiculous.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2009 - 12:30AM #2
Stardove

Well, it is my understanding that four different viruses have some together to create this particular flu, so maybe it does need a different name.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

Anger cannot occur unless you believe that you have been attacked, that your attack is justified in return, and that you are in no way responsible for it. ACIM

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2009 - 1:09AM #3
habesor

Swine flu!!!!

I don't know who will be upset more, the ultra-Orthodox Rabbis or the Islamist extremists. Didn't we tell you Christians not to mess around with pigs?

Habesor ;)

Habesor
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2009 - 5:40PM #4
KindredSai

Apr 29, 2009 -- 1:09AM, habesor wrote:

Swine flu!!!!

I don't know who will be upset more, the ultra-Orthodox Rabbis or the Islamist extremists. Didn't we tell you Christians not to mess around with pigs?

Habesor ;)

Apparently the Israeli minister who suggested the rename to Mexican flu has retracted his statement, as Mexico's embassy was also offended at the dubbed Mexican flu.

But let's get one thing straight, you can't get it from eating pork. Patient zero got it from being close to pigs and it was caught like a seasonal flu. Whatever the sound reasoning behind Jewish and Muslim prohibitions against pork, it wasn't because of pandemics such as this!

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2009 - 5:44PM #5
browbeaten

Apr 29, 2009 -- 5:40PM, KindredSai wrote:

Swine flu!!!!

Habesor ;)

Apparently the Israeli minister who suggested the rename to Mexican flu has retracted his statement, as Mexico's embassy was also offended at the dubbed Mexican flu.

But let's get one thing straight, you can't get it from eating pork. Patient zero got it from being close to pigs and it was caught like a seasonal flu. Whatever the sound reasoning behind Jewish and Muslim prohibitions against pork, it wasn't because of pandemics such as this!

You really need to lighten up.  You obviously can't take a joke, even though you started this thread with a bit of malicious intent.  You reap what you sow.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2009 - 8:59PM #6
Stardove

Swine flu!!!!

Habesor ;)

I got the joke.  Thanks. :o)

But I also gave up all meat many many years ago and that includes fish or sea life.

We need a little lightness (humor) on this forum. IMO.  Does everything have to be so serious?

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

Anger cannot occur unless you believe that you have been attacked, that your attack is justified in return, and that you are in no way responsible for it. ACIM

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2009 - 5:55AM #7
CharikIeia

Apr 29, 2009 -- 5:44PM, browbeaten wrote:

You really need to lighten up.  You obviously can't take a joke... 
You reap what you sow.

Yeah, sow, LOL!

In Egypt, although the swine flu didn't "hit" it yet, they started killing all Coptic Christians' swine herds, as precautionary measure. It's been commented about on Rod Dreher's "Crunchy Con" blog - there also, you find a link to the news article.

What bigotry! A clear act of disenfranchising a minority to pre-emptively appease a stupid mob...

Cruchy Con on Egyptian swine

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2009 - 6:29AM #8
KindredSai

You really need to lighten up.  You obviously can't take a joke, even though you started this thread with a bit of malicious intent.  You reap what you sow.

1. I can't really see the malicious intent buy asking how it will affect the ME, the political correctness was just an add on.

2. Pardon me, but I was always under the impression that jokes are meant to be funny.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2009 - 9:08AM #9
shmuelgoldstein

Apr 30, 2009 -- 6:29AM, KindredSai wrote:

1. I can't really see the malicious intent

It's in the title, genius.  חכם בלילה

You could have said "Egypt Kills Porkers to Keep Out Swine Flu", or something like that, and go with that story. Or a more innocuous "Swine Flu Hits Middle East". But no, you have to write in apparent glee "Swine Flu Hits Israel". It almost sounds like you are rejoicing. It sounds like you are saying "Hey, these Jews don't eat pork, eh? Then how can swine flu get there? HA! "

If you don't see that, you are either blind or dishonest.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2009 - 9:35AM #10
KindredSai

Apr 30, 2009 -- 9:08AM, shmuelgoldstein wrote:

Apr 30, 2009 -- 6:29AM, KindredSai wrote:

1. I can't really see the malicious intent

It's in the title, genius.  חכם בלילה

You could have said "Egypt Kills Porkers to Keep Out Swine Flu", or something like that, and go with that story. Or a more innocuous "Swine Flu Hits Middle East". But no, you have to write in apparent glee "Swine Flu Hits Israel". It almost sounds like you are rejoicing. It sounds like you are saying "Hey, these Jews don't eat pork, eh? Then how can swine flu get there? HA! "

If you don't see that, you are either blind or dishonest.

Gloating and rejoicing? this forum is full of anti-Israel paranoia.

The fact is the article link that I gave was specifically about Israel because :

1)Israel was the first country in the ME to have the first case of 2009 swineflu.

2)As for Jews not eating pork, it's besides the point...neither can Muslims, Druze or Samaritans. The fact that patient zero caught it from being close proximity to pigs compared everyone else worldwide who caught it from humans like a seasonal flu.

Look at the date of my initial post Shmuel, Egypt didn't start to cull pigs when I first posted.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook