Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Swine Flu -- Pandemic in the making?
6 years ago  ::  Apr 27, 2009 - 11:49AM #1
BeliefnetCheryl

From the NY Times today:

"Hoping to head off a global pandemic of swine flu that has surfaced in North America, the European Union’s health commissioner on Monday urged Europeans to avoid traveling to the United States or Mexico if doing so was not essential."

How is your country responding to this potential threat? 

Are you concerned or taking any precautions?

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2009 - 12:14AM #2
Mlyons619

Precautions are precautions, but this has the looks of a manufactured hysteria in the makiungs targeted against the U.S. and the North American continent.

LONDON -- Swine flu could have a significant impact on air traffic, the International Air Transport Association warned Tuesday...(more)

"No freedom without education"
            --Thomas Jefferson

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition"
            -- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2009 - 3:01AM #3
CharikIeia

Apr 29, 2009 -- 12:14AM, Mlyons619 wrote:

... a manufactured hysteria ... targeted against the U.S. ...

Excuse me?

I know for sure that the EU has reacted just as it did with the bird flu outbreak in China, when it now issued the advice not to travel to Mexico & the USA. Was the bird flu case also a "manufactured hysteria targeted against China and the East-Asian hemisphere", in your reading?

Who, do you think, is "manufacturing" here, and for which reasons?

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2009 - 11:22AM #4
rangerken

I have to agree with Chari on this. In fact, I wish our government had immediately moved to limit travel to and from Mexico to the US. I'd much prefer to overdo it a bit rather than end up with people dying because we were trying not to offend anyone. Europe is enititled to act the same way.

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2009 - 1:05PM #5
harvest99

well today it hit to close for comfort, as one of the high school close to us was closed down today due to it. The school is in 2 town over, but only takes about 20 min to get to. It has me worried as with it being to close to home, could our town be hit.

My gbabies lives in the town where the hi school is.. which has me very concern.. I don't need any more pain right now... so pleas say a prayer. thanks.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2009 - 9:00PM #6
Karma_yeshe_dorje
G'day Mlyons619:

"manufactured hysteria in the makiungs targeted against the U.S."

Smithfield Foods in the USA manufactured this pandemic in its factory piggeries!

But in 1998, says Richard Webby of St Jude's Children's Research Hospital in Memphis, Tennessee, swine H1N1 hybridised with human and bird viruses, resulting in "triple reassortants" that surfaced in Minnesota, Iowa and Texas.

www.newscientist.com/article/mg20227063....
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2009 - 12:43AM #7
Mlyons619

Again, what we have here is a flu with no effective vaccine that apparently is no more serious than the flu most folks get every winter.  The deaths in Mexico are more an indictment of the Mexican health system than the actual virulence of the disease.  This is not the pandemic "plague" decimatin whole nations, nor does it appear that it will ever become one.  What we have is an out-of-season outbreak, which will now probably become the "Spring-season" flu to balance out the "Fall Season flu."

If you're going to stop make the effort to the spread of this, then it needs to be identified BEFORE it becomes contagious -- not after.  This flu apparently was capable of spreading by human-to-human contact long before it came of the WHO's radar.  Think how many folks traveled to and from Mexico in April for Spring Break BEFORE we got notified of the threat.  How likely is it the bug was already in Europe before the WHO flagged it?

Cases are already cropping up worldwide.  Too late.

So stopping flights now is like closing the gate to the pig pen long after all the swine escaped.  Considering the fact that this flu has already travelled around the World prior to the weekend announcements, closing borders and stopping flights is probably a waste of time and effort.  National health centers need to make sure they've good stocks of Tamiflu and the like, and everyday folks need to cover their mouths when they cough and wash their hands with soap and hot water.

Perhaps it might be more effective for the flight attendants to ask passengers, Coffee?  Tea?  Sani-wipe?  Face mask?"

"No freedom without education"
            --Thomas Jefferson

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition"
            -- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2009 - 4:22AM #8
Karma_yeshe_dorje
Mlyons619:

"serious than the flu most folks get"

That is, _ten times as deadly_ as the Islamist bombing that the USA warped into an excuse to invade!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2009 - 4:38AM #9
CharikIeia

My son told me he read some news source telling that Egypt has ordered the slaughter of all its swine as "precautionary measure"...

What a nonsense! What a bigotry!

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2009 - 5:18AM #10
Karma_yeshe_dorje
«Spam messages mentioning the swine flu have swelled in the past few days, amounting to two per cent of all spam sent.

These messages have subject lines like “Swine flu worldwide!” and “Madonna caught swine flu!” They tend to advertise drugs»
www.montrealgazette.com/Entertainment/Sp...
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook