Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Pause Switch to Standard View Got Questions About Site? - We Might...
Show More
Flag Unworthyone July 7, 2014 10:39 AM EDT

Jul 6, 2014 -- 12:28PM, Stardove wrote:

Be sure not to preview the video.  If you preview the video will not post.  I copy the embedded code from You Tube making sure the width is not over 500.  Example: "560" height="315".  I change the 560 to 500 before submitting.  The reason is because a width over 500 is too large for the page and will cause thread to be out of bounds.

From the beginning: I go to You Tube, click on share then, click on embedded to get the code and copy.  Make any changes to width, if necessary then paste into posting window without preview.

Thank you.  Your instructions work.

Flag Stardove July 7, 2014 11:40 AM EDT

Smile You are welcome!

I am not sure why when we preview a video it will not display, but that is certainly what happens.

Flag 3neez July 23, 2014 5:00 PM EDT

Same old problem.... Leave a partial response for copy-and-paste, when I get back...... the initial partial post is gone. Happens if I use the Quote function or going solo. Same thing on Creating a Thread. Fill in part of the page, go to get info.... come back and everything gone. Even Thread Title.

Please help?

Flag 3neez July 23, 2014 5:25 PM EDT

Well, I got kicked out, so I signed back in and now the problem is fixed.

Thanks?

Flag TENAC July 24, 2014 9:55 AM EDT

Two problems one question.

I dont think its a site problem.  My computer I think.

If I try to utilize emoticons, my computer immediately puts them in the upper left (ugghhh....left!)  hand corner of the page.  At first I thought it was a mean trick of our left leaning site managers, but perhaps not!  I dont know why that happens. 

But I think it it linked to this.

If I try to hyper link, same thing happens.  You know when you try to link a head line to your source?  (I realize this isnt a problem for my lefty friends as they have no sources......LOLOL....who would have thought I could make a technical computer issue so politically charged!) 

But I am sure its not the site.  Any suggestions?

These are real problems.  Now lets see if we can reach across the aisle and help a brother out!

Flag Stardove July 24, 2014 12:32 PM EDT

Jul 24, 2014 -- 9:55AM, TENAC wrote:

If I try to utilize emoticons, my computer immediately puts them in the upper left (ugghhh....left!)  hand corner of the page.  At first I thought it was a mean trick of our left leaning site managers, but perhaps not!  I dont know why that happens. 

If I try to hyper link, same thing happens.  You know when you try to link a head line to your source?  (I realize this isnt a problem for my lefty friends as they have no sources......LOLOL....who would have thought I could make a technical computer issue so politically charged!) 

These are real problems.  Now lets see if we can reach across the aisle and help a brother out!

For the emotions make sure the cursor pointer is where you want the emotion to be.  If you already do this then I don't know why the issue is happening. Innocent

For linking I write what the link will be called: like source.  Then highlight the name of link in blue and click the chain icon (insert/edit/link) .  When the pop up comes up I copy the URL address into top line, then set the target to open in a new window (which is also new tab).  I check the link on the preview.  Sometimes it does not work, so I'll repeat.

This picture does not have the same lay out as site, but you can see the first one is the insert/edit/link.

Flag Eventhorizon July 24, 2014 2:12 PM EDT

Bnet was behaving very badly yesterday. I got kicked off numerous times. If I left to get a link or copy/paste some text it shut my computer dow.

No other site I go to does this so I conclude it's all the junk bnet allows on its site to make some shekels.

Flag Stardove July 24, 2014 2:19 PM EDT

Jul 24, 2014 -- 2:12PM, Eventhorizon wrote:

Bnet was behaving very badly yesterday. I got kicked off numerous times. If I left to get a link or copy/paste some text it shut my computer dow.

No other site I go to does this so I conclude it's all the junk bnet allows on its site to make some shekels.

I use Firefox with ad blocker as my browser and do not have the issues addressed.  The junk is for revenue.  The site has to make money somehow so we can enjoy the Community.

Flag Eventhorizon July 24, 2014 2:45 PM EDT

Stardove--I know and understand about the shekel-making junk but a lot of sites do that without having all the problems bnet does. I suspect that since the bnet "tech" squad can't even figure out how to get rid of things posted on their pages from two+ years ago ("supreme court rules in favor of Obamacare" "here's your financial prayer" etc) they have no idea how to create a site that doesn't mess up a lot of computers and use massive amounts of data info. When I go off of bnet for a few days my wifi data usage bill gets cut in half and that's without cutting out any other sites.

Again I think it's a shekel-making issue.

It could be fixed easily by hiring tech people who know what they're doing the way so many other sites do. But of course that would mean having to compensate them with more of those shiny shekels.

(shekel is a bible word)

Flag Eventhorizon July 24, 2014 2:50 PM EDT

Just to put this in concrete terms. I tried yesterday to post the text of the Federal Posse Comitatus Act for three hours with bnet messing up every attempt I made using multiple different sites in case it was the site I was using.

It was not. It was bnet's refusal to run and pay for a clean site.

Flag TENAC July 24, 2014 3:39 PM EDT

Jul 24, 2014 -- 12:32PM, Stardove wrote:

For the emotions make sure the cursor pointer is where you want the emotion to be.  If you already do this then I don't know why the issue is happening. Innocent

For linking I write what the link will be called: like source.  Then highlight the name of link in blue and click the chain icon (insert/edit/link) .  When the pop up comes up I copy the URL address into top line, then set the target to open in a new window (which is also new tab).  I check the link on the preview.  Sometimes it does not work, so I'll repeat.

This picture does not have the same lay out as site, but you can see the first one is the insert/edit/link.

I already do these things.  I am not sure if it is something in my set up on this laptop.

But thank yoiu.

Flag TENAC August 13, 2014 9:58 AM EDT

How are people posting videos? 

Flag Stardove August 13, 2014 11:47 AM EDT

Be sure and read the new guideline about posting videos.

Jul 6, 2014 -- 12:28PM, Stardove wrote:

Jul 6, 2014 -- 11:33AM, Unworthyone wrote:

I would like to post videos on threads.

When I click on the edit/insert embedded media icon, it asks for the url.

I cut and paste the video url in the window.

When I click on 'insert' rather than the video appearing in my post, there is text which reads "IFrame removed".

Please advise me what I am doing wrong.  I have searched Beliefnet and the web for 'IFrame Removed' without success.

Be sure not to preview the video.  If you preview the video will not post.  I copy the embedded code from You Tube making sure the width is not over 500.  Example: "560" height="315".  I change the 560 to 500 before submitting.  The reason is because a width over 500 is too large for the page and will cause thread to be out of bounds.

From the beginning: I go to You Tube, click on share then, click on embedded to get the code and copy.  Make any changes to width, if necessary then paste into posting window without preview.

Posting videos from sites other than You Tube can be a little more difficult, but the width can be changed.  In my experience the width normally needs a change in two places.  Also I will not post videos which start automatically, because I feel they are disruptive.

Aug 13, 2014 -- 9:58AM, TENAC wrote:

How are people posting videos? 

Flag solfeggio August 23, 2014 6:51 PM EDT

Do other people have as much trouble logging in as I do?!?

I  have to type in my informations four or five times, hit the 'log in' key over and over again, get nothing, and then start once more.

Finally, the site deigns to log me in.

And no, keeping the password on file doesn't help.

This never used to happen, so I'm wondering what's going on?

Flag Stardove August 23, 2014 8:05 PM EDT

I'm having no trouble logging in.  I do use a back door like sending a message or posting a comment when I am not logged in.  I check the small square to save my log in.  This square does not appear on the regular log in page.  As long as I don't clean out my history and cookies I can shut down the browser and do not have to log back in. 

Maybe others will reply if they too are having issues with the log in.

I always use the back door to log in or I do have to log in each time I come to Beliefnet Community.

Flag solfeggio August 24, 2014 1:29 AM EDT

I don't understand about that 'back door' to which you refer.

You can't send a message or comment in a thread without being logged in.

Believe me, I've tried.

Flag Stardove August 24, 2014 12:54 PM EDT

Aug 24, 2014 -- 1:29AM, solfeggio wrote:

I don't understand about that 'back door' to which you refer.

You can't send a message or comment in a thread without being logged in.

Believe me, I've tried.

When a member attempts to send a message, post on a thread, start a thread, etc. and is not logged in a pop up sign in will come up with a place to check (tiny box) when you sign in to stay logged in.  That will keep a member logged in as long as history and cookies are not deleted.  The browser can be closed, and the computer turned off, but member will not have to sign in again.  At least this is my experience.

Do you not get the pop up when not signed in and you attempt one of the above examples? I call this sign in the back door, because they are not the main log in page which has no place to check on sign in.

Flag solfeggio August 28, 2014 1:13 AM EDT

Well, I'll tell you Stardove, that I do enjoy posting in Beliefnet, but what I DO NOT ENJOY is having to try fifteen times to actually log in!

I've tried all the tricks, and none of them work.  I type in my email address and password, and I push the 'log in' button, and nothing happens!  I do it again and again and again, and again and again, and finally, usually I get logged in.  Other times, I get fed up and quit.

I am so damned sick and tired of going through this every time I want to post something that it's enough to just say 'screw it!' and stop trying.

Flag Stardove August 28, 2014 2:51 PM EDT

Sorry for all the troubles.  Log in issues have been reported, so we wait for solutions.

Maybe another browser could help.  I have found Internet Explorer to be slower here.  I use Firefox and Chrome as my browsers.  Mainly I use Firefox with ad blocker.  I'm not having the same issues, but also log in through a back door and continue to stay logged in unless I removed cookies and history or log out myself.

Flag Merope August 28, 2014 6:18 PM EDT

IT believes it has fixed the issue.  If anyone is still exeriencing a long wait for the log-in page to load, please PM me.

Thanks so much!

Flag solfeggio August 28, 2014 7:12 PM EDT

Well, (fingers crossed) I didn't have any trouble logging in just now, so maybe, maybe all is right with the world.

Many thanks to the mods who have listened to my complaints!

Flag solfeggio August 29, 2014 6:44 PM EDT

Well, forget about my previous post. 

It took me today seven minutes and a dozen or more tries to get logged into this damnable site.  I am really, really, really sick of getting nothing but a blank screen every time I try to log in.

It's enough to make me just give it all up and forget about Beliefnet.

I don't need this crap.

Flag Merope August 29, 2014 9:04 PM EDT

Hi, Solfeggio -

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this.  I'll report it to IT ASAP.

In the meantime, try logging in this way:

- Go to the profile of any member except yourself.

- When there, click on "Send Message" in the blue column on the left side.

- When you do that, a small log-in screen will open up.  Type in your username (your email address) and your password.  NOTE:  The screen will not autopopulate the first few times you log in this way, so you'll need to type, in full, your username and password.

- Then, check the box next to "Remember Me" (this will keep you logged in even if you leave the site).

- Finally, click the orange "Log in" button on the right.

This should log you in very quickly.  It does so for me. 

Feel free to use the Beliefnet_community profile for the log-in method. community.beliefnet.com/beliefnet_commun...

Let me know - here, or by PM to me or Stardove, or by email to community@beliefnetstaff.com - whether this method does or does not work for you.

Flag solfeggio August 31, 2014 1:21 AM EDT

Well, I did that, and, strangely, enough, I got logged in.

Go figure.

I do thank you and appreciate all your advice.

I'm not staying online tonight, but let's see what happens tomorrow.

Flag Merope August 31, 2014 3:41 AM EDT

Right on!  I'm so glad it worked for you.  Thanks for the heads-up.

Flag TRUECHRISTIAN September 15, 2014 9:06 PM EDT

I also had problems with logging on. 

Stardove sent me a work around that resolved the problem. 

I would like to thank her and the rest of the Bnet Staff.

Flag Eventhorizon September 17, 2014 7:23 AM EDT

Here's my question:

How can an ostensible discussion site spend time and presumably money "redesigning" its pages so that now the discussion is crammed way over to the left in small compartments and the important words like "forums" etc are now teeny tiny and all crammed together

but--

The entire righthand half of the page is taken up by threads they haven't been able to remove for two years?

What a puzzle that is.

BTW the important stuff at the top of the page (like access to one's inbox) is all overlapping and hiding a lot of other stuff.  So I can't access my inbox can't even see how many messages I have.

But boy there is a wonderful huge white space that takes up the whole right hand side of the page.

Flag TENAC September 17, 2014 9:10 AM EDT

Why suddenly the big SEARCH box on the top?  Can we individually remove it? 

Flag Eventhorizon September 17, 2014 10:11 AM EDT

TEnac--you've got a search box?I've got all sorts of stuff stacked up 2 and 3 deep. If there's a search box in that mess couldn't prove it by me.

Flag TENAC September 17, 2014 10:28 AM EDT

Yeah, I understand its free and all that, but BN could shrink the size of their corporate stuff to make this a bit easier to read.  The search box, while I have no issue with the idea and think it could be useful, is HUGE.  About as big as COMMUNITY in the orange area designating BN.

The ads drive me crazy as I increase the font for easier reading (contrary to what most of my liberal friends believe, I DO read!!) but again, the site is free to us.

I think a thread asking users opinions before implementing such would be beneficial if BN cares what its users desire.  Particularly on the page design.  Sure couldnt hurt.

Flag Eventhorizon September 17, 2014 10:38 AM EDT

Oh-oh, Tenac, you and I agree.

Must be the End Times. Wink

Flag Merope September 17, 2014 12:16 PM EDT

Hi, all -

Thanks for the feedback.  Site design is ongoing, and your feedback will not be ignored.

Merope
Beliefnet Community Manager

Flag TENAC September 18, 2014 11:45 AM EDT

I would suggest something I think is good.

I would like the little icon under our avatars to light up bold when someone on a thread has address you specifically.

In other words if I had a direct question I would like EH to answer, I could type in her name and click on it so she would know I had a direct question for her relating to that particular thread.  Similar to what face book does in "tagging".

A lot of times people want to do that, particularly when many new threads are created, or many threads get pulled over from HTZ and you lose them.  

Flag TRUECHRISTIAN September 20, 2014 3:20 PM EDT

What I would like to have changed is when you "quote' somone you see their "name"  and not quote author=209127707.

I would prefer quote author=Evenhorizon. 

I believe this was the format before the last "upgrade(?)". 

Flag 3neez September 24, 2014 2:56 PM EDT

Please help reduce the use of Off-Topic posts by advising members to Private Message Personal information. If Personal Meaages are posted on a Public Discussion, that makes them part of the discussion a open for debate.

Flag Stardove September 24, 2014 3:00 PM EDT

Sep 24, 2014 -- 2:56PM, 3neez wrote:

Please help reduce the use of Off-Topic posts by advising members to Private Message Personal information. If Personal Meaages are posted on a Public Discussion, that makes them part of the discussion a open for debate.

I know this happens sometimes.  Maybe members will read your comment and take heed.

Flag 3neez September 25, 2014 11:26 PM EDT

It's virtually impossible to create a thread tonite. Get part of Thread built, go C&P more from Source, come back and the part already built is gone.

eeeeeee....

Flag 3neez September 30, 2014 9:43 PM EDT

I know, I know....

I know I should know these things, I'm reminded of it often..... But has the View changed? Can I change Views? 

I know.....

Flag Stardove September 30, 2014 10:56 PM EDT

Here under the page numbers see:  Show newest/oldest post first.  Chose which one you want.  I like to see the newest posts, because some threads get pretty long.  The view changes when you click on the show newest or oldest first.

Flag 3neez September 30, 2014 11:12 PM EDT

Sep 30, 2014 -- 10:56PM, Stardove wrote:

Here under the page numbers see:  Show newest/oldest post first.  Chose which one you want.  I like to see the newest posts, because some threads get pretty long.  The view changes when you click on the show newest or oldest first.

There's shaded buttons now below the orange COMMUNITY Banner.... There are frames around the different threads..... It looks "cleaner"(?)

My question; did the View change or did I perhaps do it by accident? There is a Reader Version for Bnet available, but that didn't happen.

Flag 3neez September 30, 2014 11:16 PM EDT

I use newest also but the Site View I'm referring to.... Everything stays the same, but "new/changed".

I like it but it just started today I believe.

?

Flag Stardove October 1, 2014 12:01 AM EDT

Sep 30, 2014 -- 11:16PM, 3neez wrote:

I use newest also but the Site View I'm referring to.... Everything stays the same, but "new/changed".

?

There have been some changes to the site lately starting with the larger search at threads.  The Live View has been there for a while.  I have not played around with that to know what it does. On my page it says "Show oldest post first", because I am seeing the newest posts now. If that changed it could have been an accident.  Mine is the same.

Glad you like the changes.  It is also good the Community is getting some attention from the tech department.  Smile

Flag 3neez October 1, 2014 1:36 AM EDT

Oct 1, 2014 -- 12:01AM, Stardove wrote:

Sep 30, 2014 -- 11:16PM, 3neez wrote:

?

There have been some changes to the site lately starting with the larger search at threads.  The Live View has been there for a while.  I have not played around with that to know what it does. On my page it says "Show oldest post first", because I am seeing the newest posts now. If that changed it could have been an accident.  Mine is the same.

Glad you like the changes.  It is also good the Community is getting some attention from the tech department. 

Maybe it will clear some quirks I've been having here since IOS8 lately. Having trouble "selecting" and stretching it for a copy/paste and other little things. 

We'll see.

Thanks

Flag 3neez October 1, 2014 12:28 PM EDT

I keep getting a message across the top of my page......

"A problem occurred with this webpage and it was reloaded"

Wassup?

Flag Eventhorizon October 1, 2014 12:47 PM EDT

Be sure and tell the techs that the page and other numbers aren't light enough yet. I can still read them (sort of).

Flag Stardove October 1, 2014 11:25 PM EDT

I am a semi-public WIFI (RV park) and not having any issues with the site. 

Night folks.  It was a long day of traveling heading to home sweet home.  One more day and we get there.

I do use Firefox as my main browser.  Sometimes I'll use Chrome, but Internet Explorer is my very last choice.  IE has too many ads and is a lot slower than the other two browsers in my experience.

Flag Eventhorizon October 2, 2014 8:57 AM EDT

Can anyone answer this questiona/

Why keep introducing unneeded changes that just mess up our ability to access and use the site?

We don't need lighternumbers that we can barely see.

What the hell is the point of making stupid changes like that?

IMO someone is trying to justify their job.

How about this?

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Flag Eventhorizon October 2, 2014 9:47 PM EDT

Why when there have been numerous complaints about the text especially numbers being too light over a period of months did the techs insist on making it lighter still?

It seems to show a disregard for the members.

Or could it be they really don't care about us?

Beginning to look that way.

Flag Stardove October 3, 2014 1:25 PM EDT

EH, I'm not sure why you are not seeing the numbers better.  I've not experienced that.  Maybe you could check your monitor settings.  They can be lighter or darker depending on the settings.  Or it could be using a different browser than I use.

As to technical changes that department does not check with us before making them.  If we have an issue with something we reach out to IT.

Flag Eventhorizon October 3, 2014 1:32 PM EDT

Why should I have to make changes to my computer for tech changes that do not benefit me?

What's the point of messing around with fonts and ligher/darker?

And all this is just making this site slower every day.

It was FINE last week.

Flag Stardove October 3, 2014 1:37 PM EDT

I will repeat myself.  I'm not having those issues which is why it might be your computer settings and or browser.

Flag Eventhorizon October 3, 2014 1:44 PM EDT

Stardove--I apologize for speaking to you so harshly. I know there is nothing you can do about it.

But what are we to make of changes that do nothing for us and only slow everything down when our computers were working fine last week?

I am not the only one having these problems. See the OT thread on it.

Loading of pages for me today is so damn slow might as well have one of my old computers back.

Who are they making these deleterious changes for?

Flag Stardove October 3, 2014 1:52 PM EDT

None of the site wide moderators are in charge of what the site does. Sealed

I am back home with FIOS high speed connection, but even in NM on the RV park's WIFI I didn't have issues with the site.  I know the different browsers act differently here.  I will not use Internet Explorer as my browser on B'net, because of all the ads which slow down the site.

It's good to be home...sweet...home.

Flag Eventhorizon October 3, 2014 2:00 PM EDT

Stardove--can you please at least pass on the numerous complaints to the people who are making the needless and deleterious changes?

That way they get some feedback.

Glad you're feeling good about being home.

Flag Eventhorizon October 6, 2014 12:33 PM EDT

What does it mean when a post is removed for being "advertising" when it most obviously is nothing more than a post containing a simple reaction to an OP? Thanks for info.

Flag Stardove October 6, 2014 3:26 PM EDT

Oct 6, 2014 -- 12:33PM, Eventhorizon wrote:

What does it mean when a post is removed for being "advertising" when it most obviously is nothing more than a post containing a simple reaction to an OP? Thanks for info.

Advertising is the default settings for deletions.  Sometimes when a host believes they clicked on another reason the system does not change the setting.  Or if no change is made as a reason, advertising show up as the default.  Sometimes hosts are limited to the choice given so other gets used a lot.

Flag Eventhorizon October 6, 2014 3:34 PM EDT

Actually they wanted to lock someone's thread and mine was the only reply so I guess that's why they used the equivalent of "other."
Thanks for clearing that up.

Flag Merope October 8, 2014 2:46 PM EDT

The changes being made to the site are formatting, cosmetic, and helpful in some places to people with visual impairments.  They are not substantive changes.

That said, we are tracking some small glitches.  We'll report them to the platform developers and request appropriate fixes. 

If you have further technical questions, please direct them to the Beliefnet Knowledgebase Group.  It's an open group that anyone can join.

Flag Eventhorizon October 8, 2014 2:52 PM EDT

Oct 8, 2014 -- 2:46PM, Merope wrote:

The changes being made to the site are formatting, cosmetic, and helpful in some places to people with visual impairments.  They are not substantive changes.

That said, we are tracking some small glitches.  We'll report them to the platform developers and request appropriate fixes. 

If you have further technical questions, please direct them to the Beliefnet Knowledgebase Group.  It's an open group that anyone can join.

Why are there two different sizes of fonts?

One size for words being quoted (larger which is great) and miniscule for original text?

Form should follow function and not the other way around.

Flag Merope October 9, 2014 12:01 PM EDT

That's on the fix list.

Flag 3neez October 11, 2014 12:58 PM EDT

Can't start a thread. Start a new thread, post some info, go to retrieve more info, return to Bnet and previous info is gone. 

Start over, go for more info and return..... Previous info posted gone.

HALP!

Flag Merope October 11, 2014 1:03 PM EDT

Oct 11, 2014 -- 12:58PM, 3neez wrote:

Can't start a thread. Start a new thread, post some info, go to retrieve more info, return to Bnet and previous info is gone. 

HALP!

When you go to retrieve more info, are you opening another tab or window or ... ?  And you're leaving your post-in-progress window open, right? 

Flag 3neez October 12, 2014 7:05 PM EDT

Oct 11, 2014 -- 1:03PM, Merope wrote:

Oct 11, 2014 -- 12:58PM, 3neez wrote:

HALP!

When you go to retrieve more info, are you opening another tab or window or ... ?  And you're leaving your post-in-progress window open, right? 

I'm on a Mac and just click the other open tab. When I come back to Bnet, anything previously filled in is gone. Have to start over and post it half done. Then go retrieve info and Edit original OP. Add it, post it and repeat until I get a decent OP.

I've logged out and back in. I've emptied my cache, but still having problem.

Frown

Flag Merope October 13, 2014 12:31 AM EDT

Thanks for the information.  I've reported this before but the platform folks haven't been able to replicate it.  I'll report it again, though.

Flag Eventhorizon October 18, 2014 11:40 PM EDT

The emoticon options have disappeared from the choices at the top of the posting box.

Flag Merope October 19, 2014 7:43 AM EDT

Hmmm ... I'm not seeing that.  For me, there all there:

Anybody else missing emoticons?

Flag TENAC October 20, 2014 4:35 PM EDT

Why is it when you block a poster, your posts dont block them from seeing yours, only you from seeing theirs?

That seems backwards to me, when  poster is blocked they should not be able to see your posts.  There is no punishment in you not seeing theres.

I think that should change.  Is it possible?

Flag Merope October 20, 2014 8:05 PM EDT

Oct 20, 2014 -- 4:35PM, TENAC wrote:

Why is it when you block a poster, your posts dont block them from seeing yours, only you from seeing theirs?

That seems backwards to me, when  poster is blocked they should not be able to see your posts.  There is no punishment in you not seeing theres.

I think that should change.  Is it possible?

No, it's not possible.

Blocking isn't about punishment.  It's about content that a member does or does not want another member or members to see.  Now, you can keep your profile and profile-related content (blogs, etc.) entirely private or viewable at different levels by different groups of people. 

And you can be a member of a private Group so that only members of that Group can see your posts in that Group.

But that doesn't apply to your forum posts.  You can fix your preferences so that you can't see forum posts by certain members, but you can't control what forum posts any other member can see.

Flag 3neez November 10, 2014 11:38 PM EST

The site won't let me leave and copy and paste more info. Whatever I want to add to is wiped out upon return.

Two threads worked fine, now it's knocking my material off.

Flag Eventhorizon November 20, 2014 2:25 AM EST

Two problems--the site has bee very glitchylately and I either can't get on or I keep getting thrown off. Is that any way to treat longtime members?

Second--the new "design" for the messageboxes s*cks. All the info--time of post, date, option boxes--have all been shoved into one corner making the info very difficult to read. What's the point of dong that? It not only looks messy but it is almost impossible to read.

The very opposite of an "improvement."

BTW Iam far from the only poster having problems getting onto the site and not getting thrown off. If the "improvements" are meant to get rid of some of the members it seems to be working. Every time there's soome new "design" improvement the problems getting on and staying on increase.

And remember, my laptop is barely one year old.

Flag Stardove December 11, 2014 1:16 PM EST

Jan 16, 2014 -- 1:19PM, Stardove wrote:

When using the quote function please do not change a member's quote.  Don't change the color, don't bold, don't underscore, etc. 

It is easy to break up a quote and post in between the different points.  Members do this all the time.  It only takes a few more seconds of time and better to understand who posted what.

Here is how to break up a quote:

[quote]after the coding the quote goes here then use coding to end the quote[/quote]

I am bumping this post up.  Innocent

Flag Stardove December 12, 2014 11:26 AM EST

Using the system's quote function.  When you preview or even after you post do you ever notice another member's quote has not been quoted, but looks like a part of your post?  This happens when there are a good number of quotes in a post.  The system for some reason can only do a certain number then it simply stops quoting.

I see this a lot and when I can I'll fix the post.  You might asked "how does she do that?".

What I do is go into edit and remove the oldest quotes.  Sometimes only one need to be removed.  Sometimes it takes more to correct the post. 

Look for the beginning quote bracket, what was said and the ending quote bracket.  Highlight and delete.  Or backspace till removed.  Then check on preview to see if you did it correctly.  If not cancel and give it another try. 

Flag Stardove December 20, 2014 4:29 PM EST

Has your email account to sign in changed?  If so you can change you email address once you have signed in.  Please follow the instructions:

1) Click on My Profile (located next to "Welcome [your username]") at the upper right hand of any page on Beliefnet. Doing so will get you to your profile.

2) Once at your profile, click on Profile in the blue column on the left side of the page. Doing so will open up a drop-down box with a number of selections.

3) From that drop-down box, click on Account. Doing so may or may not take you to a page where you must log in, even though you are already logged in. If you are taken to that page, please log in with the email address currently associated with your Beliefnet account.

4) Once you have logged in - or if the system skips that step for you - you will be taken to a page entitled Manage Your Beliefnet Account. In the box on that page entitled "Your Email Address," please delete the email address that appears in that box and type in your new email address. (You do not need to change your password.)

5) Once you have entered your new email address, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the orange Submit button to complete the process. You will probably be taken to a page or receive a message at the top of the page you're on saying that you've updated your account successfully (or words to that effect).

And you're done. The next time you log in to Beliefnet, log in with that new email address.

Flag 3neez December 22, 2014 9:49 PM EST

Creating a thread is impossible tonight. Knocks me off, erases pasted material, just can't do it.

This isn't new though. 

Using Apple.

Flag Merope December 23, 2014 11:40 AM EST

I've reported this to Beliefnet's IT team and to our platform provider.

Neez, are you using a laptop, desktop, or tablet when this happens? 

Flag Stardove January 11, 2015 2:49 PM EST

How to post an image on Beliefnet, besides downloaded it to site.

This has been discussed on thread before, but it is way back in time.

To post an image on the web first get the URL address by right clicking on image then on Copy image location. Note: not all sites allow copying location.  After you have the URL address click on the tree icon (Insert/edit image) next to the emotion (smile) icon.  Paste the URL address into the top line of pop up  (Image URL) then click on insert at the bottom.

Preview for size.

If the image is wider than 500, click on the image and tiny squares appear.  Drag a corner until the image is 500 in width or less.  Larger images will make the thread display too large for the page.

Flag Merope January 12, 2015 12:34 PM EST

I've encountered the same things and reported them to our platform provider.

My experience is that those issues occur only when I'm using Explorer 11.  I never had those issues on any prior version of Explorer, and I never have those issues on Chrome.  I've shared my opinion with our platform management company that I believe there is an incompatibility in these areas as between our platform and Explorer 11.  They're working on it.

Until the issues are fixed, I use Chrome when I have to do things that require embedding a lot of links.  (I could use the html coding sequences to embed links, but that's too time-consuming for my purposes.)  Thereafter, I switch back to Explorer.

Flag JohnQ March 25, 2015 10:36 PM EDT

Sorry, if it is somewhere on this thread.  I looked through a couple hundred posts and gave up.

How do I change what appears automatically at the bottom of my posts?

This:

Christian LIES wed Christian HATE......Begot a child....it’s named Prop 8! 

Supreme Court let it stand.....which means we can vote away the rights of others in our land.

Sad as that may be...it hurts all of us.....not just me.

Christian LIES wed Christian HATE......Begot a child....it’s named Prop 8! 

Supreme Court let it stand.....which means we can vote away the rights of others in our land.

Sad as that may be...it hurts all of us.....not just me.

Flag Merope April 1, 2015 10:58 PM EDT

JohnQ, you go up to Preferences at the top left of your screen (just to the left of the search box), click on it, and go to the option that let's you change or delete your sig line.  It's this one, above a box: This will appear as your signature at the bottom of your posts.

Below that box there is also a final option that (I think) lets you hide your sig line whenever you don't want it to appear.  So I guess you could use that in lieu of deleting your entire sig line.

Let me know if you run into any problems.

Flag Hatman May 7, 2015 9:21 PM EDT
Why is the thread "Supreme Court Upholds Obamacare" listed in a "What's Hot" column, when the freakin' thread's been LOCKED for TWO FREAKIN' YEARS!

Thank you.  You may now continue with your regularly scheduled programming.
Flag TENAC May 7, 2015 9:26 PM EDT

May 7, 2015 -- 9:21PM, Hatman wrote:

Why is the thread "Supreme Court Upholds Obamacare" listed in a "What's Hot" column, when the freakin' thread's been LOCKED for TWO FREAKIN' YEARS! Thank you. You may now continue with your regularly scheduled programming.

Hehehe.....HAT!   How are ya?!

You are one on here I absolutely miss.

Take care my friend.

Flag Hatman May 7, 2015 9:42 PM EDT
Hey, TENAC-

Thanks for your kind words; it's nice to be missed, even if it's only "with every bullet so far..."

i may not be here long; in reading over various threads, the snarky are still just as snarky, the anti-gun nuts just as nutty as they ever were, the defenders of government still as blind as always.

Sometimes, you just get tired of rarely-if-ever penetrating any closed minds to the slightest degree, and you gotta get out of this place.

i've found playing guitar and singing to be much more of a productive/rewarding activity.

Warmest regards-

Hatman
Flag Stardove May 10, 2015 4:34 PM EDT

May 7, 2015 -- 9:21PM, Hatman wrote:

Why is the thread "Supreme Court Upholds Obamacare" listed in a "What's Hot" column, when the freakin' thread's been LOCKED for TWO FREAKIN' YEARS! Thank you. You may now continue with your regularly scheduled programming.

We know.  Sealed

Flag Merope May 11, 2015 11:00 AM EDT

We are working with the tech team on this.

Flag Hatman May 28, 2015 1:11 AM EDT

May 11, 2015 -- 11:00AM, Merope wrote:

We are working with the tech team on this.

Thanks for looking into and reporting this; it appears that no one is taking heed, however.

On another point, the thread begun by Dave, aka Catboxer, aka Whoretense, called "War is a Racket" seems to have disappeared; i was able to find it again by using the Search function, and the last post on that thread was mine, 20 hours ago  ::  May 27, 2015 - 4:37AM.

Yet it's no longer visible on the US News and Politics board, even though some threads which were last posted on 2 DAYS ago are still visible.  Do you know why this is?

Thanks-

Hatman

Flag Stardove May 28, 2015 11:39 PM EDT

Hatman, I see the thread on page one, but I have my view set to 40 thread to a page.  I'm not sure what you were seeing. 

Flag Hatman May 29, 2015 8:04 AM EDT
Yeah, i'm set to 40/page too(have always done so at the latest edition of b-net). i'd reloaded the 1st page several times, and it wouldn't show; once i eventually located it, i entered "test" on a reply, and things went back to normal.

IOW, everything's fine, now.  Thanks for checking it out for me!

Warmest regards-

Hatman
Flag 3neez June 14, 2015 2:20 PM EDT

Why oh Why........?

Does the information on a post I'm prepping just VANISH when I go to retrieve more from the exact same site and return to my previous info readied for posting. It happens e-v-e-r-y s-i-n-g-l-e day here.

It happens when I create a response AND while creating a new thread. There's better than a 75% chance that any post or new thread creation will produce these results.

Why?

Flag Mlyons619 June 15, 2015 4:39 AM EDT

What is going on with the link function?

Flag Stardove June 15, 2015 12:38 PM EDT

Sorry guys, but I'm not having the same issues, so I have no answers.  I am currently using a different browser named Pale Moon.  What I do know if different browsers act differently at the site.

Flag Stardove June 26, 2015 1:05 PM EDT

Does anyone ever wonder how the quote function is corrected when another member's post is including in what you post?  I seem to correct a lot of posts due to the system only allowing so many quotes in a post.

If you see your post has another member's quote inside your own it is easy to correct.

Click on edit which will bring up the post again.  Look at the list of quoted names' coding.  Go to the last quoted name's coding and highlight the coded name, what was written and the end of quote coding then deleted all of it. 

Sometimes more than one quoted post will have to be removed.  If you will deleted the oldest quote's (sometimes more) coding then your post will no longer have another member's post looking like part of your own post. 

Please give this a try!  Cool

I am bringing this forward one more time.

When using the quote function please do not change a member's quote.  Don't change the color, don't bold, don't underscore, etc. 

It is easy to break up a quote and post in between the different points.  Members do this all the time.  It only takes a few more seconds of time and better to understand who posted what.

[quote]after the coding the quote goes here then use coding to end the quote[/quote]

Flag 3neez June 28, 2015 12:40 AM EDT

Jun 15, 2015 -- 12:38PM, Stardove wrote:

Sorry guys, but I'm not having the same issues, so I have no answers.  I am currently using a different browser named Pale Moon.  What I do know if different browsers act differently at the site.

There's nothing wrong with my Safari Browser.

It only happens here so it sounds like a site problem.

Flag Stardove June 29, 2015 4:58 PM EDT
I still don't have any answers. Nor am I having any issues when I'm on a computer. Using a cell phone is a different matter. I can't even edit my posts.
Flag 3neez July 2, 2015 3:59 PM EDT

The Quote Function is screwing up mightily today. I see it on Various Members posts.

My Blue text works and never fails, except to draw attention.

Flag 3neez July 3, 2015 10:47 AM EDT

The Quote Function is messing up again today.

Just letting someone know.....

Flag Stardove July 4, 2015 11:14 PM EDT

It's really not that hard to correct the quote function.  I do not believe anyone is too old not to learn.  One more time folks.

Jun 26, 2015 -- 1:05PM, Stardove wrote:

Does anyone ever wonder how the quote function is corrected when another member's post is including in what you post?  I seem to correct a lot of posts due to the system only allowing so many quotes in a post.

If you see your post has another member's quote inside your own it is easy to correct.

Click on edit which will bring up the post again.  Look at the list of quoted names' coding.  Go to the last quoted name's coding and highlight the coded name, what was written and the end of quote coding then deleted all of it. 

Sometimes more than one quoted post will have to be removed.  If you will deleted the oldest quote's (sometimes more) coding then your post will no longer have another member's post looking like part of your own post. 

Please give this a try! 

I am bringing this forward one more time.

Really if you quote only the last person's post need to be quoted.  We don't need 5, 6 or however many quotes.  They have all been read already.  Quote the one you are replying to.

Flag Stardove July 8, 2015 3:10 PM EDT

It is a known fact that if too many quotes are in a post then some of the quotes will show up in the newest post.  What I do when I notice this known glitch in the system is remove the oldest quotes until the member's post is the only thing in the current posting area.  I start in the middle and remove the html coding along with the post/s.  I'll preview the post until there are no longer any quotes within the member's post.

Flag 3neez July 9, 2015 2:41 AM EDT

The glitches I posted weren't multi quotes. 

They were first time responses.

Just forget about it until someone asks again....

Flag MMarcoe September 25, 2015 4:34 PM EDT

My profile includes the following tidbit:

What are these for? Can I turn them in for a prize?

Flag Stardove September 25, 2015 8:25 PM EDT

Sep 25, 2015 -- 4:34PM, MMarcoe wrote:

My profile includes the following tidbit:

What are these for? Can I turn them in for a prize?

It took me a while to find the following, but I knew if I looked long enough I would find it.  Sorry no prize that I could locate.  Star

Monday, July 6, 2009, 5:34 PM [General]

Dear Beliefnet members,

You probably noticed something new on your Beliefnet profile. Activity points are here!

Earn Activity Points for doing the things you do every day in Beliefnet Community. Post in your Journal, post on the Forums, join Groups, upload Photos, and more.

As you earn Activity Points, you will notice that you rise in rank. If you want to rise higher, it's easy to earn more points; just keep posting!

The more you post, not only will you have more fun in the community, but you might even find yourself on the Leaderboard, or the Wall of Fame. And watch for special contests where you can earn bonus Activity Points.

Here is the list, showing how many points you can earn:

Points...Activity
  10......Rate Content
  10......Vote on a Poll
  10......Post Comment on a Profile
  10......Post on a Forum
  10......Update your Status
  25......Update Your Profile
  25......Join a Group
  25......Upload a Video
  25......Send Content to a Friend
  50......Start a Forum Thread
100......Upload a Photo
100......Send a Network Invite
100......Add a Journal Post
250......Refer a New Member

(if one of your posts is removed for violating the Rules of Conduct, that is -500 points... so let's not let that happen, okay? ;-)

Here's how many points you need to earn each rank:

0 points: Level 1
100 points: Level 2
1,000 points: Level 3
5,000 points: Level 4
15,000 points: Level 5
50,000 points: Level 6
100,000 points: Level 7
250,000 points: Level 8
500,000 points: Level 9
1,000,000 points: Level 10

That's all there is to it. If you have any questions you can post them here. Now, have fun racking up the points!

community.beliefnet.com/beliefnet_commun...

Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook