Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View
Locked: A world built on materialism...
5 years ago  ::  Feb 23, 2009 - 7:19AM #1
Boblight7
Is like a house of cards, it will not last. Our economy is in trouble because we look at our fellow humans as consumers, whose destiny it is to purchases more and more products, whether we need them or not!  When people see themselves as just physical bodies, and life is to become rich and hoarde things, you get a system that is out of harmony and full of greed. There is nothing wrong to seek out a " comfortable material existence, but it must be balanced with spiritual values such as altruism, charity, love, brotherhood/sisterhood,  some aspect of a creator) from impersonal evolution to a universal Oness.. That humanity posses an  immortal soul would be another spiritual belief.... Living to collect toys as stated by the following Proverb " those who die with the most toys.. die"..A world that focuses on" Who we are", why were on this planet?", and how can we make this planet a good place to be ( wh'ille we are here"), combined with technology ( materialism) in balance would make this Earth peaceful, beautiful and a great place to vist for a lifetime. Hey it's the 21st century, isn't about time we changed for the better!!!!!
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 27, 2009 - 10:52PM #2
VG59

Very well said,  I agree and have been considered unsensitive to the "victims" because of it.  Are you ready for the outcry?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 27, 2009 - 11:27PM #3
CityZen_X

Feb 23, 2009 -- 7:19AM, Boblight7 wrote:

Is like a house of cards, it will not last. Our economy is in trouble because we look at our fellow humans as consumers, whose destiny it is to purchases more and more products, whether we need them or not! When people see themselves as just physical bodies, and life is to become rich and hoarde things, you get a system that is out of harmony and full of greed. There is nothing wrong to seek out a " comfortable material existence, but it must be balanced with spiritual values such as altruism, charity, love, brotherhood/sisterhood, some aspect of a creator) from impersonal evolution to a universal Oness.. That humanity posses an immortal soul would be another spiritual belief.... Living to collect toys as stated by the following Proverb " those who die with the most toys.. die"..A world that focuses on" Who we are", why were on this planet?", and how can we make this planet a good place to be ( wh'ille we are here"), combined with technology ( materialism) in balance would make this Earth peaceful, beautiful and a great place to vist for a lifetime. Hey it's the 21st century, isn't about time we changed for the better!!!!!

When people realize that they have been molded into the product for the product. Then only then, will they have the knowledge in order to stop feeding the monkey!

Many ism's have out lived their shelf lives. So goes communism, conservatism, as well as consumerism, capitalism, alas materialism.

To "choose" dogma and faith over doubt and experiment is to throw out the ripening vintage and to reach greedily for the Kool-Aid."

Christopher Hitchens

The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.
  - Sir Richard Francis Burton
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 28, 2009 - 9:38AM #4
Boblight7

CZ, 59, They are all false Ego-gods/goddesses of the past. RIP!  Let US hope the 21st century begins sometype of " higher Consciousnes".. Materialism is like "  Castles made of sand"  Bob

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 28, 2009 - 11:51AM #5
johndavid23

Indeed, materialism, the delusion that all is matter and that that is all that is important in life, is a false perception, an attachment which we are better off cleansed of.

That life is presenting us with this opportunity is fine, and it can happen in a humane manner.

It is time that we realized that we are energy, we are consciousness that reveals and forms the energy, we are life.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 28, 2009 - 2:19PM #6
VG59

Being able to balance living in a materialistic world is a challenge for all of us. 

I agree that so much of our economic problems are due to the fact that most of us all live beyond our means and carry way to much debt on our credit cards and payments of other loans. 

Little is saved and we are a consumeristic society beyond measure of anything the generations before us have exercised. 

I think that when we all get a grip on this, live more modestly prices of all the things we really need and also don't need will become reasonable. 

I think other opportunities will open up because companies will be able to spend more on employees when they have to spend less on materials and things such as lease of space, fuel costs, etc......

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 28, 2009 - 2:28PM #7
VG59

An example of what I am speaking of can be seen in health care. 

So much money is spent on aesthetics that do not matter on iota in terms of healing and keeping people well. 

Yet, when nurses call for the need to decrease the patient to nurse ratio in order to give the care people need, they are always told the budget doesn't allow it.

Hiring freezed exist while remodels are occuring.  The remodels are often lateral changes when it comes to safety and efficiency of patient care adding superflous details of decor beyond reason.

At a hospital I went to last week with my students they are doing a remodel in the child birth center.  During this time chaos is the daily existence of the nurses.  If there was a fire inspection, the child birth center would NOT pass code due to the clutter in the hallways, etc.  This I am certain.  The nurses are piled up on one another and the charge nurse of post partum is managing patient care for patients in part in this chaotic environment and also on another completely different building in the hospital complex because the hospital refuses to pay for two seperate charge nurses. 

Safety has certainly been compromised during this time all for the aesthics of a 'remodel'.

I walked through the remodel and I could not find one feature that improoved patient care, some of the workmanship was awful.  Issues that should have been adressed at this time were not.  Nurses spoke their concerns and were not heard. 

This was an extremely expensive venture that did nothing to improove the care.

I could only wonder how many salaries the money spent on this venture would have supported had they added extra nurses and doulas to the staff.  Yes, doulas.  What a concept a childbirth center that supported natural childbirth.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 28, 2009 - 3:17PM #8
costrel

Feb 28, 2009 -- 11:51AM, johndavid23 wrote:

Indeed, materialism, the delusion that all is matter and that that is all that is important in life, is a false perception, an attachment which we are better off cleansed of.

That life is presenting us with this opportunity is fine, and it can happen in a humane manner.

It is time that we realized that we are energy, we are consciousness that reveals and forms the energy, we are life.

No, materialism is not a delusion. Materialism is all we have -- and materialism also includes our minds and our imaginations, which let us create gods, goddesses, heavenly realms, religions, and spiritualities. There is nothing wrong with materialism. We may have consciousness and we may have life, but those are only the results of a living body and a living brain. Once the brain and the body are dead and decayed, there is no more consciousness or life. Materialism is not a delusion -- and for us, we are quite happy accepting that materialism is the only reality of existence; we do not need some spiritual realm, which we consider to be imaginary, the creations of imagination and our wonderful brains.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 28, 2009 - 7:16PM #9
johndavid23

costrel,

Certainly, to a materialist, materialism is all we have.

And, likewise, to a philosopher, mind is all we have:  to a spiritualist, spirit is all we have.

Sorry, but you cannot prove your assertions about what exists after death, only your inability to know these things.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 28, 2009 - 7:49PM #10
Fodaoson

Feb 28, 2009 -- 7:16PM, johndavid23 wrote:

costrel, Certainly, to a materialist, materialism is all we have.

And, likewise, to a philosopher, mind is all we have:  to a spiritualist, spirit is all we have.

Sorry, but you cannot prove your assertions about what exists after death, only your inability to know these things.

Where can I get the magic stone, crystal, or whatever it is? In my Philosophy, Religion or Humanities classes I never learned that a Philosopher thought the mind was all there is, Or that for the spiritualist all was spirit. All this time I thought that Philosophy gave me a frame work for living in my material body, and that a spiritual life gave an higher meaning to the physical, i.e., material life .

John David may make the list with Socrates, Plato, Virgil, Aristotle or maybe with Joseph Smith, William Miller, Charles Taze Russell. The latter three made prophetic utterances that did not come to pass as prophesied

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook