Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Ask God's blessing on ALL nations not just the U.S.A.
6 years ago  ::  Jan 26, 2009 - 8:01AM #1
War_Eagle

Rob the Rev wrote:

President Obama ought to change the traditional ending that American leaders put on their speeches from just "And God bless America," to "God bless America and all the nations of the earth," or something similar.  God does not just love the people of the United States.  God loves ALL the nations and peoples of this world and our leaders ought to acknowledge that spiritual truth.

By only asking God’s blessing on the U.S.A. it reinforces in our country's citizens the arrogant and erroneous idea that God loves the U.S.A. more than any other country that so many Americans want to hang on to.

President Obama's speeches shall be heard and read around the world by people other than U.S. citizens.   By asking God's blessings on “all the nations of the world” as well as our own  it says to the earth's nations and diverse peoples that God has no favorites and we, the U.S.A., want God to bless ALL countries and their citizens as well as our own.  It also reinforces God's value to bless and love all peoples both your friends and enemies.

There's nothing wrong with asking God to bless your nation. In fact, there's a strong Biblical precedent for it.

Now, whether or not we can ask God to bless America when we sanction the murder of countless little babies in the womb and accept homosexuality as "just another lifestyle choice", and all of the other wickedness that seems to be so popular today, is another story.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 26, 2009 - 2:22PM #2
onomatopoeia

War_Eagle wrote:

There's nothing wrong with asking God to bless your nation. .

Is there something wrong with asking God to bless your nation and ALL nations of the world ?

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 26, 2009 - 8:37PM #3
War_Eagle

onomatopoeia wrote:

Is there something wrong with asking God to bless your nation and ALL nations of the world ?

Nothing. However, the OP was specifically about asking God's blessing on America, not America and other countries.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 26, 2009 - 8:37PM #4
War_Eagle

onomatopoeia wrote:

Nothing. However, the OP was specifically about asking God's blessing on America, not America and other countries.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 27, 2009 - 8:11AM #5
Ashe

onomatopoeia wrote:

Personally, I would like to see ALL religious references left out of political events, including the "So help me God" which was tacked on at the end, and is not part of the official oath.

But if politicians are going to insist on pandering to the religious folks, then I agree, God Bless America, and All Nations, or ALL people of the earth, or something along those lines would be better.

I am really tired of this notion that America is God's favorite nation.

I have never heard of this notion that America is God's favorite nation and I don't think it would be a bad idea to be inclusive of the rest of the world by saying "God bless them" as well, although if that were done you would still have people whining about how Americans must view themselves and the Christian God as superior since they didn't take into account the beliefs of others (or something to that effect), you can't make everyone happy.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 27, 2009 - 8:22AM #6
Tmarie64

onomatopoeia wrote:

There is nothing wrong with it... If you're a minister.  But I don't want my elected officials concerned about OTHER nations right now.

James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 27, 2009 - 1:35PM #7
Agnosticspirit
Even better --- keep god(dess) out of it when it comes to public ceremony in a pluralistic republic such as the USA.  Pray as you will --- in private, it's your right and it's  really no one else's business --- public shows of piety are more like photo-ops than anything else.
Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 27, 2009 - 9:03PM #8
klm
I see nothing wrong with saying God bless America.   We're the people of the US who are praying for our nation.     I bet no other country is asking God to bless us.     We have to stop worry about other countries and start thinking about how to get our country back to it's former greatness.    Not that there's anything wrong about praying for other nations if that feels right for you.  I believe by having the president says God bless other nations you could be insulting a lot of Americans.    We should worry about US 1st
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 29, 2009 - 4:56AM #9
Ashe

klm wrote:

I see nothing wrong with saying God bless America.   We're the people of the US who are praying for our nation.     I bet no other country is asking God to bless us.     We have to stop worry about other countries and start thinking about how to get our country back to it's former greatness.    Not that there's anything wrong about praying for other nations if that feels right for you.  I believe by having the president says God bless other nations you could be insulting a lot of Americans.    We should worry about US 1st

Half of them are probably praying for their God(s) to Curse us.  I don't like this idea about not worrying about other countries though, we're all stuck in this world together, we all have similar hopes, fears and ambitions, we're all human.  I think we should be moving forward into an age where we can all work together to help and protect eachother.

I don't see anything wrong with saying God bless America, Goddess bless America, Great spirit bless America, or anything else to that effect.  It might however be better to do away with prayer in conjuction with political events until people can grow up and realize that it's okay for someone to hold different beliefs.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 01, 2009 - 11:58AM #10
onomatopoeia

War_Eagle wrote:

Re-read the OP, specifically said

"President Obama ought to change the traditional ending that American leaders put on their speeches from just "And God bless America," to "God bless America and all the nations of the earth," or something similar. God does not just love the people of the United States. God loves ALL the nations and peoples of this world and our leaders ought to acknowledge that spiritual truth."

He WAS specifically talking about asking God's blessing on America AND other nations !

I see nothing wrong with asking God to bless ALL the world, as that INCLUDES America.  Why shouldn't God bless ALL of us.  Why should we ask God to ONLY bless us ?  Are we God's favorite country ?

Personally, I would like to see all God talk out of inaugrual speeches, but freedom of speech applies to the president, and if he wants to pander to religious folks, well I guess that is his right.  If they are going to insist on all the God talk, I would at least like to see it be a little more inclusive, instead of all this "God likes us better than he likes you" type of rhetoric we hear so much of.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook