Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View
Sticky: Café Interzone
6 years ago  ::  Oct 27, 2008 - 4:58PM #1
CharikIeia
The International Zone.
Think of an airport.
People from all backgrounds and places passing by.
Merchants. Migrants. Tourists.
Also missionaries.
Also mercenaries.
All here - in the same place - at more or less the same time.
Tired from a flight?
Some time to spend before takeoff, before catching the next connexion?
Come in and share some time, some thoughts, some pictures and impressions.

Where do you go to? Are you here for a purpose? What is your story?
tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 27, 2008 - 5:59PM #2
CharikIeia
My own first entry here is a response to a post on the "Hosting and Posting" thread, which may require a less formal atmosphere to still be on topic.

[QUOTE=DAH54;853695]Hello CharikIeia!

Hi DAH54!

wrote:

Chari]Posting as a German by birth and nationality, I just found out that the German flag seems to be "protected by law" - you can end up for up to three years in prison for defaming national symbols (§ 90a StGB).

So as a German do you think this is common? Are there many laws that you are unaware of? And would, should that be taken as a sign that Germans are polite?

As I am not a lawyer, there certainly are thousands of laws I am not aware of.
What do you think does this have to do with politeness, however?
wrote:

Posting as a German by birth and nationality, I just found out that the German flag seems to be "protected by law" - you can end up for up to three years in prison for defaming national symbols (§ 90a StGB).[/quote]So as a German do you think this is common? Are there many laws that you are unaware of? And would, should that be taken as a sign that Germans are polite? [/quote]
As I am not a lawyer, there certainly are thousands of laws I am not aware of.
What do you think does this have to do with politeness, however?

wrote:

Chari]Both flags [Dutch & German] have been burnt in the past, worldwide -- recently in Afghanistan, for instance. I am not surprised that you did not hear or read about it :)

Why?

I am not surprised because this is not likely to be featured in foreign news sources. The spotlight typically is on what your own nation does, how people worldwide react to your own country, etc. My ample travels to your country indicate that the USA are no exception to that rule.
wrote:

Both flags [Dutch & German] have been burnt in the past, worldwide -- recently in Afghanistan, for instance. I am not surprised that you did not hear or read about it :)[/quote]Why?[/quote]
I am not surprised because this is not likely to be featured in foreign news sources. The spotlight typically is on what your own nation does, how people worldwide react to your own country, etc. My ample travels to your country indicate that the USA are no exception to that rule.

wrote:

Chari][Over here, s]uch news [of anti-US demonstations where flags may be burnt] are typically summarily reported under minor events (unless, of course, they are exceptional in size, place or whatever else). And as a minor event, they don't get much attention to details (e.g., flag burning isn't mentioned, they just say that an anti-American demonstration took place).

I am use to seeing video of any event that is reported. And agreed that general they don't announce that our flag was burned, however the video shows images of the flag or flags burning...

Interesting. I am not a very visual person myself, if that is the right word, in my news consumption. I typically read journals, listen to radio programmes. My tv news are limited to 15 minutes per work day and perhaps twice as much in the weekend -- little, thus. As I understand, visual images are more suitable for transporting subliminal messages, suggestive readings, so I feel a bit "on the safe side" with my choice of media. You can read a text on your own speed, when you want it, and it's still there for future reference afterwards. I realise that with the internet, the visual media nowadays approach that standard as well. But still, it is much more difficult to locate the source of a quote from a YouTube video than from a Reuters message.

[Over here, s]uch news [of anti-US demonstations where flags may be burnt] are typically summarily reported under minor events (unless, of course, they are exceptional in size, place or whatever else). And as a minor event, they don't get much attention to details (e.g., flag burning isn't mentioned, they just say that an anti-American demonstration took place).[/quote]I am use to seeing video of any event that is reported. And agreed that general they don't announce that our flag was burned, however the video shows images of the flag or flags burning...[/quote]
Interesting. I am not a very visual person myself, if that is the right word, in my news consumption. I typically read journals, listen to radio programmes. My tv news are limited to 15 minutes per work day and perhaps twice as much in the weekend -- little, thus. As I understand, visual images are more suitable for transporting subliminal messages, suggestive readings, so I feel a bit "on the safe side" with my choice of media. You can read a text on your own speed, when you want it, and it's still there for future reference afterwards. I realise that with the internet, the visual media nowadays approach that standard as well. But still, it is much more difficult to locate the source of a quote from a YouTube video than from a Reuters message.

wrote:

Chari]I did not know about this [British couple having sex on the beach someplace in the USA], but it is common knowledge in Europe (confirmed by almost every US visitors' experience) that the US version of freedom is very special, to say the least.

Really? While I'm not a world traveler by any stretch of the imagination, my guess is our freedoms are not really that different. I've lived outside of the US for a time, and found it very enjoyable. Never felt that my freedoms where infringed on in any way.

So it works in one travel direction :)
Not to be mistaken, the USA are of course an extremely free country -- you can do a lot, especially in terms of starting up a business. As the prudishness case ("sex on the beach") illustrates, however, the experience of freedom is very much culturally determined. The US rules about public display of nudity, the "war on drugs", some states' laws on marriage and euthanasia, however, make one wonder how much a person is allowed to determine her own life. Have you ever tried to get by, without a driving license, in a middle-sized US city? Doesn't feel like freedom, I can reveal to you...
wrote:

I did not know about this [British couple having sex on the beach someplace in the USA], but it is common knowledge in Europe (confirmed by almost every US visitors' experience) that the US version of freedom is very special, to say the least.[/quote]Really? While I'm not a world traveler by any stretch of the imagination, my guess is our freedoms are not really that different. I've lived outside of the US for a time, and found it very enjoyable. Never felt that my freedoms where infringed on in any way. [/quote]
So it works in one travel direction :)
Not to be mistaken, the USA are of course an extremely free country -- you can do a lot, especially in terms of starting up a business. As the prudishness case ("sex on the beach") illustrates, however, the experience of freedom is very much culturally determined. The US rules about public display of nudity, the "war on drugs", some states' laws on marriage and euthanasia, however, make one wonder how much a person is allowed to determine her own life. Have you ever tried to get by, without a driving license, in a middle-sized US city? Doesn't feel like freedom, I can reveal to you...

wrote:

Chari]... if somebody posts here in the w'wide news & politics forum, it is expedient NOT to assume that everyone reading or posting here is a US citizen.

I don't believe I assume anywhere that everyone is a US citizen...[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=agnosticspirit wrote:

... if somebody posts here in the w'wide news & politics forum, it is expedient NOT to assume that everyone reading or posting here is a US citizen.[/quote]I don't believe I assume anywhere that everyone is a US citizen...[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=agnosticspirit;853355]It's also expedient NOT to assume that ALL US citizens who participate on WNP are NOT aware of this, yes? ;) Americans are no more a monolithic block than citizens of any other country.[/QUOTE]
You need not try to fit every hat on the rack :)
To be very explicit: I was talking about the guy who started the flag burning thread (this one), who -- if I understand you correctly -- seems to have referred to a mindset that is easily accessible for US citizens, but not so much where I live.

To illustrate (although I repeat myself), this thread's title reads
"Why shouldn't people burn Saudi Arabia's Flag.?? I think they burn the U.S.A. Flag..."

In my understanding of English grammar, one would need to assume that the "they" the second sentence speaks of is the "people" of the first sentence. But none of our American posters seems to think that. Why? Because cultural background trumps grammar, I would say. A convoluted message can become lucidly clear when you inject the correct mindset to decode it... Yet otherwise, it remains convoluted.

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2008 - 6:59AM #3
Karma_yeshe_dorje
This Thursday afternoon I got a bit sunburnt while cycling 23 km. It was a warm 29 °C spring day, with welcome light rain later.

I doubt Meredith's Greens will go to bed with the Liberals.

My next art class was cancelled for Melbourne Cup Day.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2008 - 10:32AM #4
Agnosticspirit
Good morning fellow travelers! I love airports.... everyone has a story to tell. Take a look at that man over there in the business suit. Are his shoulders sagging because he just lost an account, because he's on his way to a funeral or because his wife found out his "business trip" is actually a rendezvous with his mistress?

Or that woman standing there, tapping her foot impatiently. Is she waiting to depart or waiting for someone to arrive? Did her cell phone just die, did she just flub up a sales pitch or does her impressive show of impatience merely mask an anticipation for her first trip to Athens?

I love watching people in airports. Sometimes I sit here in the terminal with a cup of coffee and just watch the people sail by and make up stories about them. Sometimes I read, other times I sketch. I have to be careful of the supplies I bring. Last time I flew within the states, my favorite pencils were seized from my carry-on.... :mad:

I tried to explain to the jar-head security guard who looked like an ex-Marine that my number 9B pencil is  very soft graphite, more like charcoal really, VERY  unlikely I could use it to hijack a plane and by the way are you willing to pose for me? He was a humorless pan and took my pencils anyway;  refused to pose for me too, grrr... I considered sketching him with my tube of lipstick instead, but thought it would be a waste of lipstick.  Since then, I've adapted to rather impressionistic caricatures using charcoal and oil pastels. Neither of these forms of media can be sharpened to a point, no one has seized them yet.  The charcoal is kinda messy and the blunt tips of my oil pastels necessitate broad, sweeping lines rather than the detail possible with my beloved graphites, but what else is a girl to do? Stop drawing because of a humorless lantern jawed ex-Marine overly zealous security guard? :D

Maybe THIS airport will let me keep my pencils, you think?

Safe travels to all,

--- agnosticspirit
Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2008 - 9:42PM #5
Karma_yeshe_dorje
Outside is 33 °C, this Friday noon. I wiped the mud off my Prius' hot windows. That was from welcome overnight rainfall. Strong wind blows a bush in blossom. The sky is clear blue as usual.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 01, 2008 - 5:58PM #6
Karma_yeshe_dorje
The lawn is a ryegrass paddock, freshly mown by the landlord. My Vietnamese Communist party member helper, was `dying' of hay fever!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2008 - 12:38PM #7
Agnosticspirit
Good morning Karma, good morning WORLD! Now that President Elect Obama has won a decisive and undisputed victory,  this American chick feels a lot safer at an international airport than I would have had McCain and the ridiculous Palin taken the prize..... :D
Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2008 - 1:21PM #8
Karma_yeshe_dorje
G'day agnosticspirit:
[QUOTE]safer at an international airport[/QUOTE]
The most dangerous man in the world is still in office!
[QUOTE]The villagers showed Reuters white material soaked in blood.

The bride was among the wounded brought to the main hospital in Kandahar city[/QUOTE]~Reuters India~
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2008 - 5:00PM #9
Agnosticspirit
Howdy Karma and fellow travelers, how is your world? I'm sipping my coffee while waiting for my flight to Vatican City 'cause I wanna see if the Pope will sit down and rap with me. I know it's unlikely he'll take the time to talk with an American atheist chick, but wouldn't it be a nice feather in his cap if he managed to convert me? :rolleyes:  I'm hoping that'll be the hook to get me in.  Ooh, I also wanna try and make those Vatican guards crack a smile. Or am I confusing them with Buckingham Palace? If I can get that scowly bartender over in the Ad Hom Saloon to crack a grin, it just may work with the Vatican guard you think? :p

Anyway, here I am minding my own business, when a flurry of people started running by. Cameras, lightbulbs going off, voices raised, microphones in the air my god it looks like an impromptu press conference! Or a bad grade B movie..... Well lookie there!  Is that Tina Fey or Sarah Palin? Do the paparazzi types even know who they're taking pictures of? Are photogs and "mainstream news media"  even supposed to be in this section of the airport? Hmmm... can't wait to hear about this in the National Enquirer, Fox News, the BBC and Al Jazeera. I bet it really IS Sarah Palin and she's trying to get more stamps in her passport to beef up her "foreign policy" credentials... :D

'Til next time fellow travelers, be safe and never leave your luggage unattended. Last time that happened to me, I came home with the wrong frackin' suitcase! Too bad none of the clothes fit me, they were MUCH too large for me... sniff....:)

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2008 - 6:20PM #10
Karma_yeshe_dorje
G'day agnosticspirit:

[QUOTE]how is your world?[/QUOTE]Yesterday I watched the Cirque du Soleil's Dralion performance. Outside the big top was hot! Inside, the show was magical, and very professional.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook