Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

9 years ago  ::  Oct 22, 2008 - 7:44AM #1
Sholem
[QUOTE=Summer813;838577]How do you plan to relate this thread to specific Church-State issues?

Summer813
Beliefnet Community Host
Church & State Issues[/QUOTE]

I thought it was a reasonable background issue since Jefferson is so frequently quoted in these discussions, and not just by one side of the issue.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Oct 20, 2008 - 1:25PM #2
Sholem
Jefferson comes up in a lot of these discussions. I thought it might be interesting to discuss Jefferson. My thesis is that he was a great thinker but not a great man.

Jefferson expressed at times radical religious ideas, but he was an Anglican/Episcopalian (as were most rich Virginians of that time) his entire life.

He was intellectually opposed to slavery but he kept, and even sexually exploited slaves.

He expressed sympathy for the rights of Native Americans but had no trouble sending troops to clear them off land the White people wanted.

Other than supporting the revolution, is there any time that Jefferson's life ever lived up to his writings?
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Oct 20, 2008 - 5:02PM #3
Summer813
How do you plan to relate this thread to specific Church-State issues?

Summer813
Beliefnet Community Host
Church & State Issues
Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased. Thus do we refute entropy. - Mike Callahan, Callahan's Crosstime Saloon
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Oct 22, 2008 - 2:38PM #4
Summer813
You need to bring in a specific issue, or it's going to be seen as irrelevant and probably not get any discussion.
Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased. Thus do we refute entropy. - Mike Callahan, Callahan's Crosstime Saloon
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook