Switch to Forum Live View Why do men accept sure catastrophe? ... just to be able to drive cars around now ?
6 years ago  ::  Oct 04, 2008 - 12:27PM #1
Karma_yeshe_dorje
In a fortnight there will be four times as many Greens Members in the Legislative Assembly.

[QUOTE]The ACT Greens support:
1. innovation and broad community involvement in determining long-term transport solutions for the ACT
2. developing Canberra into a national showcase for active and public transport, contingent on federal support
3. regularly reviewing the implementation of sustainable transport planning
4. the inclusion of adequate walking, cycling and public transport facilities in the design of all new urban developments
5. fully investigating options for a rapid mass transit system between major town centres in the ACT
6. improving ACTION service delivery by increasing frequency, reliability and geographic coverage
7. requiring all new ACTION buses to use hybrid engine or renewable fuel technology
8. investigating the feasibility of incorporating small environmentally friendly buses into the ACTION fleet to meet travel demand
9. reviewing pay, conditions and career opportunities for ACTION bus drivers and developing a comprehensive recruitment and retention strategy
10. improving infrastructure and technology on major roads to give buses priority
11. reintroducing a flexible system of demand-responsive public transport
12. developing and implementing active transport strategies and incentives for ACT Government offices and schools, and other major local institutions
13. expanding the ‘walking school bus’ and cycle to school initiatives in ACT schools
14. making the ACT Government car fleet carbon neutral by implementing best practice fuel efficiency standards and offsetting any remaining greenhouse emissions
15. working with the ACT private sector to develop sustainable transport guidelines and incentives
16. incentives for car pooling and increasing ‘park and ride’ facilities
17. improving transport safety strategies targeted at pedestrians, cyclists and motorists
18. reducing speed limits to 40km per hour around shopping centres
19. providing shelters and seats for older people in areas of identified need
20. improving Canberra’s regional land transport connectivity through joint ventures with other jurisdictions
21. urging the Australian Government to implement a flight curfew between 11pm and 6am, and we oppose the expansion of the Canberra International Airport
22. minimising ecological impact in developing and expanding road infrastructure by taking a precautionary approach.[/QUOTE]~ACT Greens~
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 01, 2008 - 12:18AM #2
rwc109
UK government warns that global warming is really caused by us  and will cause catastrophic damage to the world , but still no concerted world effort to avoid as much damage as possible :-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4660938.stm
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 01, 2008 - 8:58PM #3
Sevrin
Sorry I am a bit confused with your heading for this thread.  Woman drive cars around as well. Last time I checked I am a woman and I drive a car.  LOL
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 04, 2008 - 12:54PM #4
Jn_jean
Maybe it is because we men are an egoistic bunch. Yes we know about the green house gasses and world climate change problem, but yet we're still tempted with Ferraris, Porches, Hummers and other fuel guzzlers that have blatant disregard to the environment. It is easier to indulge in cars than in saving the environment. The 'need' to save the environment has to be greater than the 'need' to indulge in cars if men is to ever put aside their petty egoistic needs.

Sorry guys, I'm just stating the truth, although I myself can't help dreaming about driving a Ferrari.
We're all interconnected spiritually like cogwheels of nature. If we only serve ourselves instead of interconnecting in mutual understanding with others, nature will stop functioning properly. Kabbalah teaches us how to reach this interconnectedness.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 05, 2008 - 3:25AM #5
Karma_yeshe_dorje
G'day Jn_jean:

[QUOTE]fuel guzzlers[/QUOTE]Switch to hybrid.[QUOTE]A hybrid electric vehicle (HEV) is a hybrid vehicle which combines a conventional propulsion system with a rechargeable energy storage system (RESS) to achieve better fuel economy than a conventional vehicle.~Wikipedia~
[/QUOTE]
I drive a Prius.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook