Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Giant Crosses to Greet You in Houston?
6 years ago  ::  Jul 08, 2008 - 1:44PM #1
Eliava
There's a preacher of a mega-church in Houston that wants to erect 150ft crosses (really wants 200ft, but that would involve the FAA) at the entrances to the city. His belief:

...the country is headed in the wrong direction politically and spiritually. The only way out, he adds, is what he believes the Founding Fathers always intended the United States to be – a Christian nation.

http://www.hcnonline.com/site/index.cfm?newsid=19819846&BRD=1574&PAG=461&dept_id=532207&rfi=8

The preacher and his wife have an interesting background. I vaguely remember when this happened:

Prior to starting Grace, he and wife Becky were missionaries in the Phillippines. While ministering to inmates in prison, they were taken hostage. Holding threatening knives against the Riggle’s bodies, the prisoners attempted to escape in a bus with their hostages. The guards opened fire. Both Riggles were stabbed several times and were fortunate to get out alive. All the escaping prisoners were killed in a hail of bullets. Becky Riggle was hospitalized in serious condition.

So what do you think? Would he be stepping on non-Christian toes?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 08, 2008 - 3:54PM #2
Agnosticspirit
If TAX payer funds are used to build these crosses and if zoning laws are violated, then I would be completely opposed to this. If, however, they choose to use PRIVATE donations to build and maintain the area and if they won't decrease property values, then they have the same right to build their crosses as I would have to build a figure of a BOOK being used to CRUSH the CROSS.... :)

I do think he's crossing the line in his choice of location, however. Who determines the entrance of Houston? Which entrance, there must be many... and who OWNS this property? If the property is owned by the city/state/federal agencies, then this would cross the line of separation between church and state and would actually serve as a signal that the City of Houston or the State of Texas is PROMOTING Christianity.
Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 08, 2008 - 4:04PM #3
sydneymoon
I'm w/ you on this, agnosticspirit.
Margaret Mead: "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 08, 2008 - 5:35PM #4
Do_unto_others
Remind me not to visit Texas. I might also run into Rod (Crunchy  con) Dreher, and I sure wouldn't feel safe.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 08, 2008 - 11:22PM #5
JohnQ

agnosticspirit wrote:

If TAX payer funds are used to build these crosses and if zoning laws are violated, then I would be completely opposed to this. If, however, they choose to use PRIVATE donations to build and maintain the area and if they won't decrease property values, then they have the same right to build their crosses as I would have to build a figure of a BOOK being used to CRUSH the CROSS.... :)

I do think he's crossing the line in his choice of location, however. Who determines the entrance of Houston? Which entrance, there must be many... and who OWNS this property? If the property is owned by the city/state/federal agencies, then this would cross the line of separation between church and state and would actually serve as a signal that the City of Houston or the State of Texas is PROMOTING Christianity.

Actually, Houston has ~15major entrances.....however, there are really 4main entrances. I-10 East and West and I-45 North and South. The Rev wants to put the crosses just off of i-45 on two of the church's campuses. The church as more than one location. So, the crosses would be on church property.

He is not suggesting that tax payer monies be unsed.

I have mixed thoughts on this project.

Peace!                 
------

Christian LIES wed Christian HATE......Begot a child....it’s named Prop 8! 

Supreme Court let it stand.....which means we can vote away the rights of others in our land.

Sad as that may be...it hurts all of us.....not just me.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 08, 2008 - 11:24PM #6
Sacrificialgoddess
We've got a 30 foot singing cross in Edmond, Oklahoma.

Yes.  It sings.  :eek:
Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 08, 2008 - 11:22PM #7
JohnQ

agnosticspirit wrote:

Actually, Houston has ~15major entrances.....however, there are really 4main entrances. I-10 East and West and I-45 North and South. The Rev wants to put the crosses just off of i-45 on two of the church's campuses. The church as more than one location. So, the crosses would be on church property.

Peace!                 
------

Christian LIES wed Christian HATE......Begot a child....it’s named Prop 8! 

Supreme Court let it stand.....which means we can vote away the rights of others in our land.

Sad as that may be...it hurts all of us.....not just me.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 08, 2008 - 11:24PM #8
Sacrificialgoddess
We've got a 30 foot singing cross in Edmond, Oklahoma.

Yes.  It sings.  :eek:
Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2008 - 12:53PM #9
Agnosticspirit

JohnQ wrote:

Howdy JohnQ, thanks for providing us with a few more details!   Private church property, private church funds. Will any kind of zoning laws or airspace violations result from this? Bummer, looks like ya'all are stuck with these behemoth crosses then. :eek:

Kinda makes me wish churches weren't TAX-EXEMPT, but I haven't thought that all the way through yet and may result in yet other undesirable consequences. Who owns the property on the other side of the freeway? 'Twould be tempting to build a giant Goddess (I'm thinking Athena) holding a Big Book in her hand to crush the cross as an anti-book burning  symbolism in protest :)

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 24, 2008 - 1:00PM #10
Do_unto_others
[QUOTE=sacrificialgoddess;612762]We've got a 30 foot singing cross in Edmond, Oklahoma. [/QUOTE]

What does it sing, "Nearer To God Than Thee"? ;{O)
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook