Page 2 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Baha'i Leaders Arrested in Iran May 14, 2008 URGENT
6 years ago  ::  May 18, 2008 - 10:57PM #11
Mlyons619
Don't  see this issue as cleanly falling along party lines.

And I for one don't recall even discussing Saudi Arabia's record here -- especially seeing the thread topic's about IRAN....
"No freedom without education"
            --Thomas Jefferson

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition"
            -- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 19, 2008 - 12:02AM #12
habesor
Whisperingal,

My comment was about the self-styled humanitarians and human rights advocates who post on this B-net forum. It seems their concerns about human rights are roused only when Israel is the object of their criticism. What goes on elsewhere in the Middle East remains far below their radar. For instance have the humanitarians noticed or brought to our attention the following:

"On Friday, assailants detonated a bomb outside a Christian school, causing no injuries.

Over the past two years, extremists in Gaza have detonated bombs near cafes, hairdressers, record stores and institutions linked to the area's tiny Christian community, an apparent campaign to shut down Western-style or non-Islamic outlets.

Hamas said it offers protection to institutions that ask for it.

At the same time, the Hamas regime is pursuing a policy of enforcing a strict Islamic moral code. The latest step is an attempt to block Internet Web sites Hamas considers unsuitable. "

You can read all about it at:

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite? … 2FShowFull

Habesor
Habesor
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 19, 2008 - 12:52AM #13
Whisperingal
HAB--I don't need a reference from the JP to know about the violence in the mideast.

I wonder why you assume that those of us who think Israel should NOT be committing these acts are not also against the acts of other countries as well--like the US?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 19, 2008 - 2:56AM #14
habesor
Whisperingal,

As long as the other countries are Israel and the USA, the contributors to these B-net forums who claim to be advocates of human rights seem to have no problem observing and discussing real or imagined human rights abuses. However, any mention of Palestinian, Hizbollah, Hamas, Syrian et cetera human rights abuses are declared off topic and not a subject for discussion. It is a pattern on these forums that is quite consistant over time and has only a very few exceptions.

Habesor
Habesor
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 19, 2008 - 9:31AM #15
newyawka
[QUOTE=mlyons619;508868]200 eh?

How many reports when compared to Israel?

BTW I don't "hate" anybody, newyawka, although I disagree with many liberal positions - such as apologizing for Mulsim extremists or dictatorial theocracies like Iran.  Nice of you to assume that tho...[/QUOTE]

arguing with you is like taking candy from a baby.

how many compared to israel? you didn't bother to check about iran, and - surprise - you didn't bother to check about israel. i'm handing your unacceptable homework back to you and asking you to correct it.

but the original point, of course, is that you shot off about HRW - without bothering to check what you were talking about. hmmmmmm ... i wonder what your motivation was? could it be hate? or could it be because, as i said, you'd find that HRW has done better than any rightwing outfit in exposing iran? yeah, it hurts for you to be shown up "liberals" who actually do the work while you throw spitballs from behind a computer.

in your next post, show me that you've checked on the number of HRW israel reports. and show me that you've gone through the list to see that they also go after palestinian and other islamic violations (i know they're there, i've already looked). otherwise you get a zero.

PS - i'd like to say that my posts here in no way are meant to detract attention from the attacks by iran on the bahai. they are meant to illustrate that the government of iran are a bunch of religious fundamentlaists who routinely violate the political wishes of many sectors of the iranian population - including some sectors who are politically unfashionable in the US and hence whose oppression there gets no press here.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 19, 2008 - 1:52PM #16
newyawka
fresh off the presses:

[QUOTE]TEHRAN (AFP) - The rights group of Nobel peace laureate Shirin Ebadi on Sunday warned against a "systematic violation" of human rights in Iran and criticized the government over its treatment of dissidents and activists.

The Defenders of Human Rights Centre, formed by five prominent lawyers and headed by the 2003 Nobel peace prize winner, said in its annual report it "deplores and denounces the systematic violation of human rights in Iran".

Human rights watchdog Amnesty International reported that in 2007 Iran made more use of the death penalty than any other country apart from China, executing 317 people during the year.[/QUOTE]

we knew where HRW was, this will answer the questions about where AI is.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080518/wl … ightsebadi
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 19, 2008 - 8:26PM #17
rangerken
I had a choice to make...remove a bunch of posts for personal attacks and for all intents kill the thread, or ask...kindly, calmly, politely, and in my own endearing way that all STOP THE PERSONAL ATTACKS!!!

Thank you,

Ken
Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 19, 2008 - 9:22PM #18
Whisperingal
Oh Ken--that is calm.

Well..sort of....

WGal

btw--it's over 100 degrees F here--that's my excuse and I am sticking to it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 20, 2008 - 5:56PM #19
Erey
It seems another thread that has nothing to do with Israel is ......... once again all about Israel.  We have alot of one tracked minds around here.

TLC - the Bahia are known as good citizens all over the world - wherever you find a community of Bahais you typically find a peacable law abiding group. 
That is what makes this kind of situation so disturbing because there is very little protection for them in Iran.  Imagine for a few minutes.  As we all know anything can happen to us, someone can perpetrate any kind of violence upon us.  But we do live in a society that has a legal system that concerns itself with our protection and justice.  This protection and justice is considered our right.  Imagine if you lived in a place where you were persecuted like this?

I know when I consider these kinds of situations that the Bahia and indeed many groups in Iran and other ME countries are facing I don't feel there is anything I can do.  I guess I can vow to never travel to Iran but it is not like they are really gunning for the tourist dollars there anyway.  I don't really buy anything Iranian - they don't sell much but very nice rugs.  I don't think Iranian leadership really cares about public oppinion.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 20, 2008 - 5:56PM #20
Erey
It seems another thread that has nothing to do with Israel is ......... once again all about Israel.  We have alot of one tracked minds around here.

TLC - the Bahia are known as good citizens all over the world - wherever you find a community of Bahais you typically find a peacable law abiding group. 
That is what makes this kind of situation so disturbing because there is very little protection for them in Iran.  Imagine for a few minutes.  As we all know anything can happen to us, someone can perpetrate any kind of violence upon us.  But we do live in a society that has a legal system that concerns itself with our protection and justice.  This protection and justice is considered our right.  Imagine if you lived in a place where you were persecuted like this?

I know when I consider these kinds of situations that the Bahia and indeed many groups in Iran and other ME countries are facing I don't feel there is anything I can do.  I guess I can vow to never travel to Iran but it is not like they are really gunning for the tourist dollars there anyway.  I don't really buy anything Iranian - they don't sell much but very nice rugs.  I don't think Iranian leadership really cares about public oppinion.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook