Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Divestment And Sanctions Movements -- A Nonviolent Response to Israeli Occupation
7 years ago  ::  May 12, 2008 - 5:21PM #1
SherriMunnerlyn
The United Methodist Church overwhelmingly affirmed divestment as an option for pressuring an end to Israel's occupation, at their recent General Conference in Fort Worth, Texas that ended earlier this month. The United Methodist Church also reaffirmed its opposition to Israeli occupation. In addition, they created a  task force to set human rights criteria for church investments/divestment in the Middle East, Darfur and China. Further, the United Methodist Church  voted to begin direct corporate engagement with Caterpillar, Inc to discuss their role in the Palestinian Occupied Territories.

Jewish Voice For Peace VP's Sydney Levy stated: "This is an important step forward for a major US church that has a longstanding history of opposition to the Israeli occupation."

In a rebuke to anti-divestment groups, Methodist delegates voted 763-38 to keep divestment from Israel's occupation on the table as an option. Also, the delegates resoundingly rejected a petition to support Israeli settlements.

"This is an important step forward for a major US church that has a longstanding history of opposition to the Israeli occupation, and is now moving towards one of the only nonviolent actions that can lead to real peace in the region. Each day Israel's occupation and settlement expansion continues unabated, the divestment and sanctions movement will grow," said Sydney Levy, Director of Campaigns for Jewish Voice for Peace, one of the country's largest Jewish peace organizations.

Jim Winkler, the General Secretary of the Methodist General Board of Church and Society stated:

"Israel's occupation of Palestinian land has continued for more than 40 years. Undeniable misery is experienced every day by Palestinian Christians and Muslims. Our church should not profit from it."

This resolution passed at the General Conference in 2004, which was reaffirmed:

"The United Methodist Church opposes continued military occupation of the West Bank, Gaza, and East Jerusalem, the confiscation of Palestinian land and water resources, the destruction of Palestinian homes, the continued building of illegal Jewish settlements, and any vision of a 'Greater Israel' that includes the occupied territories and the whole of Jerusalem and its surroundings."  Book Of Resolutions, #312

Jewish Voice for Peace launched a website, http://www.investinpeace.org/. Jewish Voice for Peace was founded in 1996. It is a national grassroots peace organization that has more than 20,000 supporters dedicated to promoting a US foreign policy in the ME based on peace, democracy, human rights and respect for international law. The board of American and Israeli advisors includes Pulitzer and Tony award winner Tony Kushner, actor Ed Asner, poet Adrienne Rich & other respected rabbis, artists, scholars and activists.

http://www.jewishvoiceforpeace.org/publ … 1053.shtml
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 12, 2008 - 5:59PM #2
browbeaten
Yawn

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 12, 2008 - 9:25PM #3
Father_Oblivion

browbeaten wrote:

Yawn

Is that your standard response when people are being persecuted, or is active participation your usual preference?

The important thing to remember about American history is that it is fictional, a charcoal-sketched simplicity for the children or the easily bored. For the most part it is uninspected, unimagined, unthought, a representative of the thing and not the thing itself. It is a fine fiction...
Neil Gaiman
'American Gods'

‎"Ignorance of ignorance, then, is that self-satisfied state of unawareness in which man, knowing nothing outside the limited area of his physical senses, bumptiously declares there is nothing more to know! He who knows no life save the physical is merely ignorant; but he who declares physical life to be all-important and elevates it to the position of supreme reality--such a one is ignorant of his own ignorance."
- Manly Palmer Hall
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 12, 2008 - 11:18PM #4
habesor
Sherri,

You follow these things closer than me so let me ask you. Did the Methodists have any resolutions about peace between Israel and the Palestinians or have these Christians decided to place more emphasis on anti-Israel actions?

Habesor
Habesor
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 12, 2008 - 11:37PM #5
SherriMunnerlyn
Wikipedia addresses the divestment and sanctions movement , under "Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions" (BDS), that refers to an  international economic campaign against Israel. This campaign was started by 171 Palestinian non-governmental organizartions call for "Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions against Israel Until it Complies with International Law and Universal Principles of Human Rights" on July 9, 2005.

The three stated goals  are:

"1. An end to Israel's "occupation and colonization of all Arab lands and dismantling the Wall;"
2. Israeli recognition of the "fundamental rights of the Arab-Palestinian citizens of Israel to full equality;" and,
3. Israeli respect, protection, and promotion of "the rights of Palestinian refugees to return to their homes and properties as stipulated in UN resolution 194."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boycott,_D … _Sanctions

There have been various other initiatives by organizations, addressing divesture, addressed in another wikipedia article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_a … _of_Israel

In 7/04, the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church (USA) (PCUSA) voted to "initiate a process of phased selective divestment in multinational corporations operating in Israel."  On 6/19/06, the Committee on Peacemaking and International Issues of the PCUSA adopted a compromise resolution that calls for the Church to invest only in "peaceful pursuits" in Israel and Palestine.

In May 2006, the Ontario section of the Canadian Union of Public Employees passed a resolution to "support the international campaign of boycott, divestment and sanctions against Israel until that state recognizes the Palestinian right to self-determination" and to protest the Israeli West Bank barrier. The Congress of South African Trade Unions expressed  their support for the CUPE boycott. The Toronto assembly of the United Church of Canada also supports the CUPE boycott. In 2003, the Toronto assembly voted to boycott goods produced by Jewish settlements in the occupied territories.

The Church of England synod has voted for disinvestment. Britain's National Union of Journalists called for boycott 4/14/07.  By a vote of 66 to 54, the annual delegate's meeting of Britain's largest trade union for journalists called for "a boycott of Israeli goods similar to those boycotts in the struggles against apartheid South Africa led by trade unions, and [for] the [Trades Union Congress] to demand sanctions be imposed on Israel by the British government."

All of these divestment initiatives are simply calls  for Israel to abide by their obligations under international law and calls for sanctions and divestment and boycott techniques, such as those used against Apartheid South Africa, to be used against Israel until they abide by international laws. 

I expect these divesture initiatives will expand and strengthen and continue as long as injustice is perpetrated by Israel against the Palestinian people both inside Israel and in the Occupied Territories.  And I strongly support such initiatives. All individuals can  play a role in standing up against the injustices the Israeli government perpetrates against Palestinians by supporting these divesture actions and by personally refusing to buy anything made in Israel and refusing to contribute to or have any dealings with any Israeli organizations or organizations that have dealings with Israel or Israeli organizations, unless they are organizations that support peace or reconciliation efforts. We can all play a role in ending the Israeli Apartheid practices, if we choose to play such a role.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 12, 2008 - 11:43PM #6
habesor
Sherri,

That's all fine and good. But while these various Christians are passing anti-Israel resolutions are any of them calling for peace between Israel and the Palestinians?

Habesor
Habesor
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 13, 2008 - 6:32AM #7
SherriMunnerlyn
Habesor,

You completely ignore the fact that the point of all of these resolutions is simply to get Israel to abide by international law, to leave the Occupied Territories they reside on in violation of the UN Charter and UN Resolutions and to stop human rights abuses that violate the Geneva Convention and the other human rights treaties.

Here is a discussion of some of the many resolutions considered by the United Methodists at the General Conference:

A petition called for the UMC to oppose divestment from companies who profit from the Israeli occupation. That petition was voted down by General Conference by a vote of 763-38!  What ths means is that 763 delegates were willing to give divestment a hearing.

Another petition called for divestment in relation to the ongoing genocide in Darfur, Sudan, which was passed by the  General Conference.

A petition called for creating a socially responsible investment committee to examine UMC investments in the light of social ethics as a church, which was passed by General Conference.

Strengthened resolutions were also passed that called for an end to the conflict based on international law, the recognition of the rights of refugees, and the recognition of the dispossession of Palestinians, & a rewording of a resolution that called for groups visiting the Holy Land to spend time to learn about the conflict, to visit & worship with Palestinian Christians, and to shop socially responsibly.

Here are comments of a Methodist presently working with Sabeel and other international organizations in the OPT, about the General Conference meeting that just occurred:

"What this tells me is that the majority of delegates to our General Conference want a just peace for Palestinians and Israelis. It tells me that they are willing to hear proposals for how we as a church can act in solidarity with Israeli, Palestinian, and international peace activists to bring this about. It tells me that divestment as a nonviolent, moral, economic strategy for opposing the occupation has not been rejected at all. So, what now? Well, now we go back to our Annual Conferences and our churches and continue the work there. We continue spreading the word about what is happening here in Palestine and Israel. We work with the 10 Annual Conferences who have adopted divestment resolutions. We work with groups that come here to visit. We work with our churches, educating folks about the situation and praying for a just peace in this divided land. We keep moving forward together towards a future of justice and peace. Thank you all for your support, your prayers, for writing your delegates, for telling your churches about some of the things that I'm witnessing here. Thank you for all that you do. Please keep praying for me, for your other UM Mission personnel here, for the Palestinian Christian community, and for all people of this land, that we might move together into a future of reconciliation and healing. It is a struggle to be here, sometimes, but it is a grateful and joyful one to be a part of with you.
Peace, David"

http://hoseyblog.blog.com/2008/5

The above comments illustrate a US Christian Church that is actively trying to adopt policies to address an ongoing injustice occurring in Palestine, and a Church that desires a just peace ,and a Church whose members pray for justice and peace for all people in that land, Israelis and Palestinians.

Sherri
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 13, 2008 - 7:19AM #8
habesor
Sherri,

I assume that your inability to cut and paste resolutions calling for peace between Israelis and Palestinians, indicates that these church groups are far more interested in one sided bashing of Israel than they are with trying to build a peace between Israel and the Palestinians. In a historic sense that is very Christian of them.

Sherri, if you happen to come across such resolutions please post it as I think that your copy-paste job so far makes the churches look much worse than they actually are. I wouldn't want B-net to get a reputation of being unfair to these Christian churches.

Habesor
Habesor
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 13, 2008 - 8:45AM #9
SherriMunnerlyn
Habesor,

Let's resort to further insults of the messenger, when we have nothing substantive to say, by all means.

The Methodist Church cares about justice and peace for Israelis and Palestinians, and their initiatives are based on those concerns.

I know everyone who cares about the Palestinians, everyone who sees them as human beings entitled to life and dignity and respect is evil and must be opposed and villianized. 

That is your agenda, to protect Israeli injustice and oppression.

But people will speak against injustice and they will act againstt it until that injustice stops.

That is the nature of Truth, it cannot be covered up and silenced.

And it will ultimately overcome and prevail.

Sherri
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 13, 2008 - 10:50PM #10
rangerken
I removed several off topic posts, a brief one lioner, and a personal attack.

Sherri, i could remove just about all your posts due to the cut and paste stuff. I've asked you repeatedly not to do that. I'm leaving them up because you do ofer some of your own thoughts.

Now respond to Habesor...and do NOT post more long quotes or lengthy cut-and-paste posts! Link to them as I know you are capable of doing because often you do just that...and that is fine. You can support your opinion well without the cut-and-paste nonsense.

Ken
Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook