Page 1 of 30  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 30 Next
Switch to Forum Live View bible in the public school
7 years ago  ::  Apr 25, 2008 - 5:21PM #1
TPaine

cultresearcher wrote:

I still believe that the BIBLE needs to be taught in our schools.:)  I still believe this country would be hundred's percent better if we got rid of the other doctrines like buddism hinduism and we need to get rid of the cults like scientology and the children of God.  I would leave the judism since we need judism to explain christianty.:cool::D

Out of curiosity, cult, how would you get rid of those doctrines you disagree with? What people believe is not something you can legislate against since they are personal beliefs.

"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." ... Thomas Jefferson

"The right of voting for representatives is the primary right by which other rights are protected. To take away this right is to reduce a man to slavery, for slavery consists in being subject to the will of another, and he that has not a vote in the election of representatives is in this case." Thomas Paine:
Dissertation on First Principles of Government (July 1795)
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 25, 2008 - 4:37PM #2
Ithilien

Friend! wrote:

"Can the Bible be Used as Part of the Curriculum of the School?

Of course.  No one's said any differently.

Of course, you realize that there's a difference between studying the Bible and saying, "Here's what Paul thinks are important issues in first century Mediterranean, theologically" and "Here's what Paul says and you should, too."

Just like it's a far different thing for me to teach "Here's what Macbeth does in Act IV of the play" and "Here's what Macbeth does, and you should, too."

Perhaps you do not understand the difference between teaching religion and teaching about religion?  The last one is, obviously, acceptable.  The first one?  Not in my public schools--I do not want to indoctrinate any students into *any* religious tradition.  Not my job.  Nor is it the school's duty to teach my kids religious faith.

The above quote is from the American Center for Law and Justice, one of the premier civil rights law firms that donates its time free of charge to defend religious liberties.  They usually beat the ACLU!

You do realize that the ACLU defends Christians from civil rights abuses, too, don't you?    There was a whole thread on these cases--posted by a Christian lawyer--on the old Church & State Board, and I just went looking for it.  It must have been part of the Great Purge before the transition--I went through every thread twice and couldn't find it.  WGSmith, are you still around?!? 

I celebrate the religious freedoms we enjoy in the United States.  Those freedoms extend to the public school system as long as no particular faith is endorsed over another.

Yep!

God's Truth always does well in the free marketplace of ideas.  Enjoy!

I would think that it would have to, else it would be worthless, you know?  If God's truth (however that's defined) needs government help to support it, I wouldn't think it had much truth in it to begin with...

--Kj

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2008 - 11:21PM #3
cultresearcher
The country was betrayed when we replace the bible with the national Guard and gangs.  What I want to know is what EVER HAPPENED TO THOU SHALL NOT......... I have this iminage of what school would be like if we taught the bible.  One no school shootings for one.  It is a sad day in america when a student can be suspended from school due to her praying over her food.  This was in the oc California.  It is a sad day in america Where the ACLU can determine what can be taught in the public school.  We have replaced the bible with Books of witchcraft like harry potter.  We need the bible back or our public schools will turn to a war zone even worse than they are now.  We have had over 20 school shooting in the last decade.  I hope This makes other people sick like it does me.:mad:   We need To put God Back in the public school system (k-12 and college)  I think that we should scrap teaching these other so called religions in our schools.  Our Forefathers believed in the bible.  We only had one president that was deist that signed the declaration of independence. (tom payne.)  A true american believes in The God of the Torah and the Bible.  Christianty needs judiasm to explain our religion.  The Bible was written By Jewish hands.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2008 - 11:25PM #4
cultresearcher
We need more bible history taught in Our schools. In order to understand our history We need to know the bible. A jewish banker helped Gen washington with money to win the revoluntionary war.:D We owe the Jewish people for giving us the first family. The diciples and abe Issiac and Jacob.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 17, 2008 - 12:28AM #5
mountain_man

cultresearcher wrote:

The country was betrayed when we replace the bible with the national Guard and gangs.  What I want to know is what EVER HAPPENED TO THOU SHALL NOT.........

We out grew it.

I have this iminage of what school would be like if we taught the bible. .....

Yes, in some countries they call that the Taliban.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 17, 2008 - 12:48AM #6
cultresearcher

mountain_man wrote:

We out grew it.

Yes, in some countries they call that the Taliban.

No Islam is not that of terrorists.  Remember 9-11???? We as a nation have become Idiots if we think we know better that Almighty God.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 17, 2008 - 9:23AM #7
Corrigan37
I agree cultre.. We need more bible history taught in the schools :)
~Carrie~
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 17, 2008 - 10:22AM #8
wontgetfooledagain

Corrigan37 wrote:

I agree cultre.. We need more bible history taught in the schools :)

I actually have no problem with teaching the 'history' of the bible in public schools.

But as for the contents of it... if it's a public school, obviously it should not be taught as some sort of 'truth'.

Rob

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 17, 2008 - 11:47AM #9
wontgetfooledagain

mountain_man wrote:

Along with the history of all the other major religions, and a few of the smaller ones. In the teaching of the history of the bible the kids will learn that the real names of the authors of any of it are unknown. They'll learn that not one of the authors witnessed any of the things they write about. They'll learn that the flood and the exodus never happened. They'll learn there is no evidence that jesus ever existed. They'll learn lots of good stuff.

Yes... in teaching the history of the bible, it will go a long way toward dispelling the myths contained inside of it. That is why I have no problem teaching the 'history' of the bible in public schools. Or the history of other religious texts as well.

Rob

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 17, 2008 - 11:35AM #10
mountain_man

cultresearcher wrote:

No Islam is not that of terrorists. 

I did not mention anything about terrorists? Why bring it up? Isn't this supposed to be about FORCING the christian religion on children so that they will be like brainless automatons? Isn't this about forcing your version of religion on helpless children? Isn't this about forcing everyone to follow one religion as the Taliban does? What you propose is nothing more than creating a christian Taliban.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 30  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 30 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook