Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View Violation of seperation?
6 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2008 - 11:29PM #11
davelaw40
I guess its moot; Shelley Gibbs got stomped.
Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2008 - 12:11AM #12
TPaine

davelaw40 wrote:

You lost me-all conventions are held on the same day-they don't have facilities to handle both.

Sorry, Dave, I didn't make myself very clear. What I was trying to say is; hypothetically assume that during the next round of conventions, in two years or four years or whatever, the Democrats find themselves in the same position the Republicans did this year. If the church offered their facilities to the Democrats for their convention, there would be, IMO, no Church/State or tax exempt issue. However, if the church allowed Republicans to meet there on one convention day, yet refused Democrats to do the same in a different year, it could be considered a violation of Section 501(c)(3).

"It is always to be taken for granted, that those who oppose an equality of rights never mean the exclusion should take place on themselves." -- Thomas Paine: Dissertations on First Principles of Government (July 7, 1795)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2008 - 7:34AM #13
davelaw40

TPaine wrote:

Sorry, Dave, I didn't make myself very clear. What I was trying to say is; hypothetically assume that during the next round of conventions, in two years or four years or whatever, the Democrats find themselves in the same position the Republicans did this year. If the church offered their facilities to the Democrats for their convention, there would be, IMO, no Church/State or tax exempt issue. However, if the church allowed Republicans to meet there on one convention day, yet refused Democrats to do the same in a different year, it could be considered a violation of Section 501(c)(3).

gotcha- i don't think that is very likely-after like seeks after like and the dems would be more likely to seek a left-leaning mega-church

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 10, 2008 - 7:38PM #14
Fodaoson
gotcha- i don't think that is very likely-after like seeks after like and the dems would be more likely to seek a left-leaning mega-church”
I do not know of any left leaning mega churches.  My voting place is in a Church building.  I do not like that particular church’s stands on some issues but the facilty used for voting is ideal for a polling place and it is close to my house and in the center of the precinct .  I can walk to vote from my house.   The room used looks like a room in a community center or a VFW hall
“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2008 - 5:58PM #15
davelaw40

fodaoson wrote:

gotcha- i don't think that is very likely-after like seeks after like and the dems would be more likely to seek a left-leaning mega-church”
I do not know of any left leaning mega churches.  My voting place is in a Church building.  I do not like that particular church’s stands on some issues but the facilty used for voting is ideal for a polling place and it is close to my house and in the center of the precinct .  I can walk to vote from my house.   The room used looks like a room in a community center or a VFW hall

i would say thats telling but left leaning mega-churches do exist

there are churches modeled after the Crystal cathedral, UCC churches, the UNITY churches  plus  the social gospel branches of the traditional churches

in my area there is a United Methodist Church that is known for its work in  AIDS hospice

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2008 - 5:58PM #16
davelaw40

fodaoson wrote:

i would say thats telling but left leaning mega-churches do exist

there are churches modeled after the Crystal cathedral, UCC churches, the UNITY churches  plus  the social gospel branches of the traditional churches

in my area there is a United Methodist Church that is known for its work in  AIDS hospice

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook