Page 2 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3 Next
6 years ago  ::  Jan 22, 2009 - 2:13PM #11
TPaine

EyesoftheWorld wrote:

Has anyone ever heard of DMT? I actually thought of that too (I couldn't remember the last letter yesterday), so I wanted to make sure.
I'm sure you folks have heard the story about XMas during WWI when the Germans and English, I believe, emerged from their trenches and played soccer and sang songs and I think maybe drank a bit? That must have been a surreal event to witness, and is one of the most incredible examples of how we all really are brothers and sisters, though language, belief, culture and geography separate us.
But the fact they all went back to the trenches and resumed the attrition serves as a testament to how irrational we are, and I think demonstrates that we essentially are, at least I believe, very smart animals.

There's a DVD set about WWI that has pictures of the 1914 truce. There's also a good Wikipedia article about it at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_truce.
I agree with what you say about man's humanity as well as man's irrationality. I think Voltaire had a great quote concerning war.

"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets."

"The genius of the Constitution rests not in any static meaning it might have had in a world that is dead and gone, but in the adaptability of its great principles to cope with current problems and current needs." -- Justice William Brennan: Speech to the Text and Teaching Symposium at Georgetown University (October 12, 1985)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 23, 2009 - 12:41AM #12
Summer813
[QUOTE=EyesoftheWorld;1036436]Has anyone ever heard of DMT? I actually thought of that too (I couldn't remember the last letter yesterday), so I wanted to make sure.
I'm sure you folks have heard the story about XMas during WWI when the Germans and English, I believe, emerged from their trenches and played soccer and sang songs and I think maybe drank a bit? That must have been a surreal event to witness, and is one of the most incredible examples of how we all really are brothers and sisters, though language, belief, culture and geography separate us.
But the fact they all went back to the trenches and resumed the attrition serves as a testament to how irrational we are, and I think demonstrates that we essentially are, at least I believe, very smart animals.[/QUOTE]
There's a very good movie about the truce. It's called, simply, Joyeux Noel. I saw it for the first time this past Christmas, and found myself getting very emotional while watching, so make sure you have some Kleenex on hand.

By the way, the truce involved German, French and British - actually, Scottish - troops.
Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased. Thus do we refute entropy. - Mike Callahan, Callahan's Crosstime Saloon
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 23, 2009 - 12:41AM #13
Summer813
[QUOTE=EyesoftheWorld;1036436]Has anyone ever heard of DMT? I actually thought of that too (I couldn't remember the last letter yesterday), so I wanted to make sure.
But the fact they all went back to the trenches and resumed the attrition serves as a testament to how irrational we are, and I think demonstrates that we essentially are, at least I believe, very smart animals.[/QUOTE]
There's a very good movie about the truce. It's called, simply, Joyeux Noel. I saw it for the first time this past Christmas, and found myself getting very emotional while watching, so make sure you have some Kleenex on hand.

By the way, the truce involved German, French and British - actually, Scottish - troops.
Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased. Thus do we refute entropy. - Mike Callahan, Callahan's Crosstime Saloon
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 23, 2009 - 11:06AM #14
davelaw40

Summer813 wrote:

i first learned about the truce in the song about Snoopy and the Red Baron as a kid

the Baron had Snoopy dead in his sights
why he didn't shoot
we'll never know
or was it the Bells from the village below?

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 23, 2009 - 11:20AM #15
EyesoftheWorld
[QUOTE=TPaine;1036492]There's a DVD set about WWI that has pictures of the 1914 truce. There's also a good Wikipedia article about it at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_truce.
I agree with what you say about man's humanity as well as man's irrationality. I think Voltaire had a great quote concerning war.[/QUOTE]

That's a great quote from Voltaire! I've only read Candide, but I've been just plowing through Turgenev's works and Voltaire is repeatedly mentioned along with some others...

anyway, that reminds me of a powerful quote from Einstein:

"He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action. It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder."
What Fatal Flowers of Darkness Bloom from Seeds of Light!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 29, 2009 - 12:32AM #16
Summer813
The door creaks open, and a shadowy figure peeks in. Glancing around and seeing nothing, the figure pushes the door open wider and strolls in, towing a wagon laden with lumpy, bumpy items obscured by a large checkered cloth resting over the top of the load. She - for the figure can clearly be seen to be feminine after removing a snow-speckled winter coat, which she hangs over the back of a chair -  flips a switch, bringing the lights up to illuminate a disused room. Rolling the wagon to the center of the room, she brushes dust off of a large table there and then pulls the checkered cloth from the wagon with an expert snap, bringing it to settle, perfectly centered, upon the table. The wagon's contents are revealed: a quarter-keg of beer, several bottles of wine, several more of soda pop, a Bunn coffeemaker borrowed from a friend (a nameplate affixed to its base declares it to be the property of one J. Java), an electric kettle, a ceramic teapot, boxes of loose tea, ground coffee, tins of sugar, sweetener, creamer and evaporated milk, a box of Krispy Kreme donuts, an apple pie, three dozen chocolate-chip cookies, a platter of handmade tortilla chips, a crock of queso dip and one of salsa, a large pepperoni pizza and a veggie tray. She taps the keg, places the wine and a corkscrew on the bar along with the soft drinks, lays the foodstuffs out on the table, sets out plates, flatware, cups and glasses, plugs the coffeemaker and electric kettle in on a nearby sideboard, fills the pots and starts the coffee brewing, then settles back to wait, knowing that sooner or later, someone will show up to the party...

;):):cool:
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 29, 2009 - 4:31PM #17
TPaine

Summer813 wrote:

The door creaks open, and a shadowy figure peeks in. Glancing around and seeing nothing, the figure pushes the door open wider and strolls in, towing a wagon laden with lumpy, bumpy items obscured by a large checkered cloth resting over the top of the load. She - for the figure can clearly be seen to be feminine after removing a snow-speckled winter coat, which she hangs over the back of a chair -  flips a switch, bringing the lights up to illuminate a disused room. Rolling the wagon to the center of the room, she brushes dust off of a large table there and then pulls the checkered cloth from the wagon with an expert snap, bringing it to settle, perfectly centered, upon the table. The wagon's contents are revealed: a quarter-keg of beer, several bottles of wine, several more of soda pop, a Bunn coffeemaker borrowed from a friend (a nameplate affixed to its base declares it to be the property of one J. Java), an electric kettle, a ceramic teapot, boxes of loose tea, ground coffee, tins of sugar, sweetener, creamer and evaporated milk, a box of Krispy Kreme donuts, an apple pie, three dozen chocolate-chip cookies, a platter of handmade tortilla chips, a crock of queso dip and one of salsa, a large pepperoni pizza and a veggie tray. She taps the keg, places the wine and a corkscrew on the bar along with the soft drinks, lays the foodstuffs out on the table, sets out plates, flatware, cups and glasses, plugs the coffeemaker and electric kettle in on a nearby sideboard, fills the pots and starts the coffee brewing, then settles back to wait, knowing that sooner or later, someone will show up to the party...

;):):cool:

Look at all that good food! (TP pours hinself some coffee and grabs a donut.) Come on people don't make Summer feel like this:

"The genius of the Constitution rests not in any static meaning it might have had in a world that is dead and gone, but in the adaptability of its great principles to cope with current problems and current needs." -- Justice William Brennan: Speech to the Text and Teaching Symposium at Georgetown University (October 12, 1985)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 06, 2009 - 5:52PM #18
davelaw40
just got the text from my stepson; I'm now a grandpa -Kadan Reese  7lbs and 15 oz's
Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 06, 2009 - 7:00PM #19
TPaine

davelaw40 wrote:

just got the text from my stepson; I'm now a grandpa -Kadan Reese  7lbs and 15 oz's

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 06, 2009 - 11:31PM #20
Summer813

davelaw40 wrote:

Congratulations!

*does happydance, stops to open champagne, resumes happydance*:D

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook