Switch to Forum Live View Miracle on the Hudson
6 years ago  ::  Jan 17, 2009 - 2:03PM #1
coachbob
Inasmuch as this forum is here for us to discuss both News and Politics, and we seem to have a significant shortage lately of discussions about news items free of politics, I thought it would be a good time to discuss something other than Obama's citizenship or impending criminal charges against Bush and Cheney. 

I sincerely hope people who post here are aware that nearly 48 hours ago a US Air flight landed in the Hudson River and that all 155 people aboard survived.  This was due in no small part to the skill and dedication of the pilot, Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger III, who has significant flying and safety experience.

Here is a video (hard to see) of the landing itself: http://www.foxnews.com/video2/video08.h … xnews.com/

There is so much good about this story.  What are your favorite aspects of the story and the rescue?  Any negatives?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 17, 2009 - 2:17PM #2
christzen
[QUOTE=coachbob;1025213]Inasmuch as this forum is here for us to discuss both News and Politics, and we seem to have a significant shortage lately of discussions about news items free of politics, I thought it would be a good time to discuss something other than Obama's citizenship or impending criminal charges against Bush and Cheney. 

I sincerely hope people who post here are aware that nearly 48 hours ago a US Air flight landed in the Hudson River and that all 155 people aboard survived.  This was due in no small part to the skill and dedication of the pilot, Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger III, who has significant flying and safety experience.

Here is a video (hard to see) of the landing itself: http://www.foxnews.com/video2/video08.h … xnews.com/

There is so much good about this story.  What are your favorite aspects of the story and the rescue?  Any negatives?[/QUOTE]

The best thing about this is that it will provide invaluable new info on how to copy this correctly.This will no doubt rewrite the books on EM landings,although a number of lucky events were with him that aided him.

The downside is that there are idiots who think that one answer is to kill or somehow do away with geese around the airports.As if the geese are the johnny come lately's to the airspace in the US.

Hats off to a superb pilot.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 17, 2009 - 3:27PM #3
Father_Oblivion
Thanks for posting this Coach, it is an incredible story, and one with such a fortunate, happy ending (which all too often we don't see in this type of event).

My favorite part of the story? After that excellent landing following that incredible no-power turn to hit the water, the boats on the river all came to help immediately with no hesitation from any of them, not even one.
The important thing to remember about American history is that it is fictional, a charcoal-sketched simplicity for the children or the easily bored. For the most part it is uninspected, unimagined, unthought, a representative of the thing and not the thing itself. It is a fine fiction...
Neil Gaiman
'American Gods'

‎"Ignorance of ignorance, then, is that self-satisfied state of unawareness in which man, knowing nothing outside the limited area of his physical senses, bumptiously declares there is nothing more to know! He who knows no life save the physical is merely ignorant; but he who declares physical life to be all-important and elevates it to the position of supreme reality--such a one is ignorant of his own ignorance."
- Manly Palmer Hall
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 17, 2009 - 4:48PM #4
aws720k
Thank you for posting this video. It's the best footage I've seen so far.

If you're patient when viewing the video in 'full screen' you'll be able to see how quickly it happened... with the first rescue boat within sight. I'm amazed at how calm the pilot, crew and passengers were. Truly, a 'miracle' occurred on the Hudson!

Annie
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 17, 2009 - 5:12PM #5
sydneymoon
I watched 20/20 last night.
Matt (did not catch the last name) was interviewed.
He is a young father of 3 1/2 year old twins.He was on board the plane and sitting 14 seats back from the front.
I think he said he text messaged his wife as trouble ensued.
The tumultuous landing into the water.occurred.
Okay somehow they survived the crash. What to do now?
Matt is not a good swimmer
Matt took it upon himself to help all passengers disembark.

He was the last passenger off the plane.

His wife was alongside him during the interview and knew he would react as he did.

That's why she married him.

'Cuz that's who he is.
Margaret Mead: "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 17, 2009 - 7:01PM #6
religionfree
I was just watching an MSN video of the Sosa family, husband, wife, 4-year old and 9-month old who were on that flight and survived along with the others. 

What I can't figure out is how everyone survived in that cold along with the water.

This incident will be the greatest story of this first decade of this new millennium.
"When I don't know who I Am, I follow You
When I know who I am, You & I are One"

Namaste
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 17, 2009 - 7:41PM #7
human1
Many things stand out in this story.  One thing I thought of personally was how eerie almost the timing... I thought of how President Bush had to deal with horrific news of jets in NYC just after taking office, and then how just as he leaves office another story of a crashing jet in NYC, this time the heroic and uplifting story thank God.  That's kind of amazing if you ask me.

Having just spent two weeks in the city in August, I also thought how scary the sight must have been for any who could see the plane taking such a turn and zooming in along the Hudson after their horrible experience with 9/11.  Yet, again an uplifting and encouraging end to this story.  We were doing the touristy thing taking in the sights atop the Rock in August, and having worked for years out of both JFK and La Guardia, and my brother a pilot along with me, we stood watching several jets taking off and following their pattern of departure from the area.  If we had been standing there watching a plane take off, abort pattern turning back and approaching the city and descending, I think we would have lost it big time.  That would be terrifying, so I wondered about any possible people who caught sight who momentarily thought another attack was upon them.

From there, I was moved by the pictures of the survivors awaiting rescue standing crowded on the wings of a floating jet on the river.  Very spectacular sight and photos.  Some in water up to their knees, I kept wondering how they all had the strength to even stand there.  Those photos will be historic. 

I thought of the flight crew, having worked as a flight attendant for several years myself for TWA,  (my most common flights were 810 and 811 to and from Paris, this was the flight that exploded just after leaving JFK after I had left the airlines, which was so personally sad and surreal) and how unreal the day must be when all the training and rehearsals are put to use in an instant when you are so used to routine take offs and landings.  How they would have to swing into action and put it all to use. 

Last thing... today I thoroughly enjoyed the report Fox did on ways the airports have been trying to deal with fowl.  They interviewed a man who works with hawks trained to be released to chase off birds and flocks of birds at airports where this is necessary... and other interesting ideas that are being utilize to make it safe for the airliners and also for the birds.
Very interesting.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 17, 2009 - 8:39PM #8
TheWhiteHart
Itas an excellent story and one I have enjoyed reading and watching from various angles. The pilot and crew did an excellent job, as did the passengers who helped others, and the boat rescues. We don't get these kinds of stories too often.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 17, 2009 - 10:00PM #9
Mostyn32
This was a text-book emergency landing on water, and it worked because of the skill, training, experience and level-headedness of the pilot. Seemingly, his matter-of-fact attitude communicated irself to the passengers and there wasn't a lot of panic. That's probably why everyone got off safely.

I can imagine what went through the minds of the passengers on the ferry boats plying the Hudson at the time, though. It would have been some great scare to see a massive jet coming in on the river. I understand that the Hudson is only some 1,400 yards wide at that point.

Hats off to that pilot, indeed. I hope he gets a medal!.
"God is no captious sophister, eager to trip us up whenever we say amiss, but a courteous tutor, ready to amend what, in our weakness or our ignorance, we say ill, and to make the most of what we say aright."  from 'A Learned Discourse on Justification', a sermon by Richard Hooker (1554-1600).
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook