Page 20 of 20  •  Prev 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20
Switch to Forum Live View 3 myths on the democratic race
6 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2008 - 3:35PM #191
LittleBuddha73
[QUOTE=jacknky;390565]We, and I include myself, sure love to talk about a lot of extraneous stuff that has nothing to do with solutions to the problems of this country and world.

Perhaps the discourse would be elevated if we just accepted that there are wingnuts on the left and wingnuts on the right and that neither John McCain, Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama is a wingnut themselves. Now, which of them  has better ideas about what to do?[/QUOTE]

Good idea. Hillary!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2008 - 4:04PM #192
jacknky
"Good idea. Hillary!"

Arghh... I want Obama.

But this might be a win-win. If either of them wins the country hopefully will move in a different direction, one less bellicose and divisive, a direction that puts our resources into people rather than war. Perhaps we can agree that would be a good thing.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2008 - 4:58PM #193
LittleBuddha73
[QUOTE=jacknky;390661]"Good idea. Hillary!"

Arghh... I want Obama.

But this might be a win-win. If either of them wins the country hopefully will move in a different direction, one less bellicose and divisive, a direction that puts our resources into people rather than war. Perhaps we can agree that would be a good thing.[/QUOTE]

Hahaha. I do agree.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2008 - 5:22PM #194
Brother_Yossarian
JohnDavid:  The point about HRC's religious affiliations is that they deserve intelligent scrutiny if we are going to comb through the affiliations of others. Video is not required, as we observe from the wrighting of Obama that such is often counter-intelligent and distorts the facts out of context. The Family can easily be linked to several right-wing dictators and mass murderers: if we will smear by association, pass the paint to everyone. Otherwise, stop plucking splinters when one's own eyes are filled with logs.

They do deserve scrutiny and we could put together a solid string of posts here that totally put Clinton in the hot seat, but most of America is not going to bother with that--they have bills to pay, and rely on the sound bites on the evening news to keep them informed. 

The reason Hillary is on the hot seat about her comments about running and ducking under sniper fire is that her statements can be encapsulated into sound bites.  Having people like Sinbad rebut her didn't hurt, since after all, who doesn't know who Sinbad is? 

It's all about winning, and the Swift Boaters have shown the way, shining a bright light on the path to victory.  Find three or four swing states, inundate them with TV ads with disturbing soundbites in the last weeks before the election, and let the pundits analyze all they like--people will hear the sound bites and never bother to tune in the analysts who lend some context and nuance to the issues.
"In order that nothing may be wanting to the felicity of the blessed spirits in heaven, a perfect view is granted to them of the tortures of the damned."--St. Thomas Aquinas
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2008 - 6:46PM #195
Find1Answer
ah for the good old days when we could bash mormons.
"I don’t care if the federal government is telling me to buy my employees Jack Daniel’s or birth control. What gives them the right to tell me that I have to do that? That’s my issue, that’s what I object to, and that’s the beginning and end of the story."

This hint that Potter had merely swaddled an anti-government rant within a "religious" blanket illustrates the main problem with Justice Samuel Alito's majority opinion in Hobby Lobby: it takes claims of religious scruples for granted.

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-mh-expanded-hobby-lobby-20140702-column.html#page=1
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2008 - 6:46PM #196
Find1Answer
ah for the good old days when we could bash mormons.
"I don’t care if the federal government is telling me to buy my employees Jack Daniel’s or birth control. What gives them the right to tell me that I have to do that? That’s my issue, that’s what I object to, and that’s the beginning and end of the story."

This hint that Potter had merely swaddled an anti-government rant within a "religious" blanket illustrates the main problem with Justice Samuel Alito's majority opinion in Hobby Lobby: it takes claims of religious scruples for granted.

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-mh-expanded-hobby-lobby-20140702-column.html#page=1
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2008 - 2:18AM #197
catalunya70
Three famous American men ( icons ,  actually) that cheated on their wives.

Bill Clinton,  president   USA
John F.  Kennedy,  president  USA
Martin Luther King JR.   Christian minister and Civil Rights Leader

One of these men is so hated to the point  it has spilled over to his wife.  The other two are revered,  and no one has ever questioned their infidelities to the extent they have with the first man.  No one has ever questioned why Jackie and Coretta did not leave their  cheating husbands.  Perhaps people then were less crude and sex obsessed  than they are now?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2008 - 3:26AM #198
Whisperingal
Catalunya--what an excellent post.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 20 of 20  •  Prev 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook