Page 6 of 9  •  Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Switch to Forum Live View If the Church Did Run the State
6 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2008 - 9:41PM #51
faith713
do_unto_others, the hate speech case was about the KKK.
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."--John14:6

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.-- John 3:16

"We love Him because He first loved us."--1 John 4:9-10

"There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear ... "
1 John 4:18
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2008 - 9:45PM #52
Sacrificialgoddess

faith713 wrote:

do_unto_others, the hate speech case was about the KKK.

So... the KKK shouldn't have the right to free speech?  Who's next?  The Free Masons?  And then?  The Green Party?  And then?   The  more radical elements of Christianity?  And then?  Oh, dear.   :rolleyes:

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2008 - 10:39PM #53
davelaw40

TPaine wrote:

Dave, they actually support having elective Bible study courses in public schools as long as they are objective and do not proselytize the views of a particular sect.
You may find this link interesting. I found it through the ACLU site.

http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/PDF … aphics.PDF

they do NOW- revisionism is a wonderful thing

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2008 - 10:42PM #54
davelaw40

TPaine wrote:

Dave, they actually support having elective Bible study courses in public schools as long as they are objective and do not proselytize the views of a particular sect.
You may find this link interesting. I found it through the ACLU site.

http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/PDF … aphics.PDF

and which sect are the Gideons pimping for when they pass out free Bibles?

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2008 - 10:45PM #55
Sacrificialgoddess

davelaw40 wrote:

and which sect are the Gideons pimping for when they pass out free Bibles?

Personally, I think the money the Gideons use to pass out those bibles could be better spent, but that is neither here nor there.

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2008 - 10:54PM #56
TPaine

davelaw40 wrote:

they do NOW- revisionism is a wonderful thing

re·vi·sion·ism (r¹-v¹zh“…-n¹z”…m) n. 1. Advocacy of the revision of an accepted, usually long-standing view, theory, or doctrine, especially a revision of historical events and movements. 2. A recurrent tendency within the Communist movement to revise Marxist theory in such a way as to provide justification for a retreat from the revolutionary to the reformist position. --re·vi“sion·ist adj. &  n.

I wonder which of the two definitions you are referring to? Regardless, it was a very pithy post. Congratulations! A touch, a distinct touch. :)

"It is always to be taken for granted, that those who oppose an equality of rights never mean the exclusion should take place on themselves." -- Thomas Paine: Dissertations on First Principles of Government (July 7, 1795)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2008 - 11:03PM #57
davelaw40

TPaine wrote:

re·vi·sion·ism (r¹-v¹zh“…-n¹z”…m) n. 1. Advocacy of the revision of an accepted, usually long-standing view, theory, or doctrine, especially a revision of historical events and movements. 2. A recurrent tendency within the Communist movement to revise Marxist theory in such a way as to provide justification for a retreat from the revolutionary to the reformist position. --re·vi“sion·ist adj. & n.

I wonder which of the two definitions you are referring to? Regardless, it was a very pithy post. Congratulations! A touch, a distinct touch. :)

closer to the the first; i was around when the ACLU sued all Bible clubs as a matter of course; they way they still do with Gideons and High Schools

it's amazing what being spanked by SCOTUS will do to your position

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2008 - 11:18PM #58
TPaine

davelaw40 wrote:

closer to the the first; i was around when the ACLU sued all Bible clubs as a matter of course; they way they still do with Gideons and High Schools

it's amazing what being spanked by SCOTUS will do to your position

Personally, I agree with some of the things the ACLU does, and disagree with others. I see nothing wrong with student led Bible clubs, but would object if the school administration or faculty were involved in any way but as monitors. I also couldn't care less if the Gideons handed out Bibles or copies of Mein Kampf as long as they didn't do it inside the building. If they wanted to hand copies to students as they left the campus, more power to them.

"It is always to be taken for granted, that those who oppose an equality of rights never mean the exclusion should take place on themselves." -- Thomas Paine: Dissertations on First Principles of Government (July 7, 1795)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2008 - 1:14AM #59
Summer813
Funny, David, you and I are essentially the same age but I don't remember a time when the ACLU routinely sued "all Bible Clubs and all High Schools".
Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased. Thus do we refute entropy. - Mike Callahan, Callahan's Crosstime Saloon
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2008 - 8:02AM #60
davelaw40

Summer813 wrote:

Funny, David, you and I are essentially the same age but I don't remember a time when the ACLU routinely sued "all Bible Clubs and all High Schools".

It's called a demand letter and only takes a postage stamp

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 6 of 9  •  Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook