Page 1 of 236  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 236 Next
Switch to Forum Live View The Afghanistan War
5 years ago  ::  Dec 14, 2008 - 10:58PM #1
rangerken
Since events in Afghanistan, and Pakistan, arer so closely related to events in the middle east, a specific thread about the war in Afghanistan is, I believe, appropriate and needed. So here it is. And I'm putting it up on top next to the Iraq War thread. Let's see how this works.

Ken
Conservative, Libertarian, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 15, 2008 - 2:06PM #2
johndavid23
Thanks for getting round to that, ken.

Now, we can contemplate the BushCo war against the people of Afghanistan.
As I understand it, they have lots of opium for heroin and just the path for an oil pipeline from those former Soviet republics.
What do you think, will they put those poppies in the pipeline until they get things settled with Putin?

Meanwhile, more innocent Afghans die.  Those "wedding bombings" are a strange US-Afghan ritual.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 15, 2008 - 2:36PM #3
rangerken
Well JD, in a short time it's going to be the Obama war in Afghanistan, so let's see what he does. Remember what he said about going into Pakistan? Since my son just might be one of those sent in, I have an abiding interest in this.

Perhaps we can even discuss it without sarcasm.

Ken
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 15, 2008 - 7:31PM #4
johndavid23
Yes, ken, if Bush meant that he had some right to get OBL, he would have gone into Pakistan in 2001.  But, he knew that his excuses were all bs.
I'd bet that Obama works with the government of Pakistan to get OBL either captured or out.  So, I hope that your son gets to study diplomacy or something useful.

I seriously doubt that Obama considers the CIA/ off-the-shelf-gov't.'s need for cash worth their continuing to slaughter Afghans to control the heroin trade.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 15, 2008 - 9:53PM #5
rangerken
My son is using his BS in electrical engineering in the army, JD... likes what he's doing too... he has something to do with helping some fanatics meeting their God... so I don't expect him to be switiching career fields anytime soon.

And if Obama gets Bin Laden thru Pakiastan, great. If he gets him by rolling over Pakistan, I have no problem with that either. I wish Bush had gotten the guy, but he didn't. As to why, well, your guess is as good as anyone's JD. I just want Bin Laden dead... preferably by direct action by our military, but any way is acceptable.

Your comment about the CIA controlling the heroin trade is interesting... funny in fact... and perhaps should be repeated on the World Politics board. But it may stay here for now. someone may respond directly to it.

Ken
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 15, 2008 - 10:39PM #6
johndavid23
[QUOTE=rangerken;959298]
Your comment about the CIA controlling the heroin trade is interesting... funny in fact... and perhaps should be repeated on the World Politics board. But it may stay here for now. someone may respond directly to it.

Ken[/QUOTE]

Not all of us have forgotten Oliver North and the Iran-Contra scandal.
I'm sure that you remember the cocaine for arms for Iran project.  The money from that probably bought several elections.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 15, 2008 - 10:46PM #7
rangerken
Since I served from 1962 throughg 1992 you may assume that I am well aware of things like you mentioned above, JD.

They had zero influence on my job or how I did it...but I was aware.

So what is your point... relating to Afghanistan of course?

Ken
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 16, 2008 - 7:56AM #8
Whisperingal
Ken--Hi.

since GW's TEN BILLION dollars didn't buy access to Pakistan--I am not sure what will.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 16, 2008 - 8:00AM #9
rangerken
I'm less than not sure, w'gal. I have absolutely no idea at all. I'd love to pontificate and pretend I knew what I was talking about but in this case all I can do is hope, and pray (well, this IS Beliefnet after all) that whoever makes the decisions will get some of them right.... preferably without my son having to 'visit' Pakistan!!!!!

Ken
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 16, 2008 - 9:01AM #10
Whisperingal
Ken--amen.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 236  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 236 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing