7 years ago  ::  Feb 02, 2008 - 12:28AM #1
Karma_yeshe_dorje
Long ago, in a land far away, I read an ancient tome. Its geologist author concluded that our species was a significant catalyst for erosion!

[QUOTE]"Human activity exceeds natural processes in many ways.

"For example, humans emit more CO2 than do volcanoes by quite a long way; humans move more material across the surface of the Earth than do rivers, landslides and floods."[/QUOTE]~BBC~
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 10, 2008 - 6:47PM #2
davelaw40
that humans emit more carbon dioxide than a volcanic eruption, a forest fire, or a wildfire

that a human chnages the landscape more than an earthquake, eruption, tsunami, or hurricaine

floods more than the giant beaver dams did; destroys more trees than the mammoth or mastodon

or that are most permanant edifices such as the Giza pyramids or the Geat Wall of China are any thing more than the human equivalent of planetary termite mounds
Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 11, 2008 - 6:50AM #3
Karma_yeshe_dorje
This geological speciality was once something that I did for a living. It involves measuring, examining, calculating: lot of work--you don't just flick open a book!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 11, 2008 - 10:09AM #4
ZafodB
Anthropocene Epoch 
  #1       02-02-2008, 05:28 AM 
Karma_Yeshe_Dorje 
Level 9
Level 8   Join Date: Oct 2007

Long ago, in a land far away, I read an ancient tome. Its geologist author concluded that our species was a significant catalyst for erosion!

Quote:
"Human activity exceeds natural processes in many ways.

"For example, humans emit more CO2 than do volcanoes by quite a long way; humans move more material across the surface of the Earth than do rivers, landslides and floods." 

~BBC~

Nice to read but in the BIG PICTURE means nothing. The planet itself is changing its face as I type,some by itself and some by human and animal activity. Now I can only surmise that the planet changing itself is not a self engineered plan. Which ever volcano blows first or hurricane forms first or is the biggest will change things the most. So all in all it means nothing
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 11, 2008 - 3:58PM #5
Karma_yeshe_dorje
ZafodB:

[QUOTE]Which ever volcano blows first or hurricane forms first or is the biggest will change things the most.[/QUOTE]Take the Locus of Control and Attribution Style Test.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook