Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Palin and McCain , family values
6 years ago  ::  Sep 02, 2008 - 11:24AM #1
Yodalady_AA
So the bombshell burst,  Sarah Pailin's daughter is pregnant, 17, and not yet married.   Any parent's worst scenerio but so common among teens it is almost a lifesyle. 

But do conservative parents find it acceptable?   Yes, I suppose it is nice Ms. Palin is supportive of her her daughter but part me long for the days when Parents showed a wayward child (of either sex0 the door and made them responsible for their actions. 

Yodalady
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 04, 2008 - 10:46AM #2
runegurl
to be honest, i feel sorry for her daughter. they're making her marry the father, who is 18. 

think that will be a healthy marriage, with good parenting? 

and she's 17.  she's a kid.  i'm sure she's having a hard enough time coping with all this (she lives in a culture where she is now a slut, like it or not), and she's got the press all over her personal business. 

for me? i don't care. i don't care if she's pregnant. i don't care if she gets an abortion. i don't care if she has the kid.  it's none of my business, and i want her to make her decision based on what she believes, not on what i believe or what is most expedient for her mom's political career.

rune
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 04, 2008 - 10:48AM #3
Tmarie64

runegurl wrote:

for me? i don't care. i don't care if she's pregnant. i don't care if she gets an abortion. i don't care if she has the kid.  it's none of my business, and i want her to make her decision based on what she believes, not on what i believe or what is most expedient for her mom's political career.

rune

Exactly.  The problem is she's not allowed to think or have ideas of her own.

James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 05, 2008 - 11:42AM #4
runegurl
in fairness, we don't know this. 

now, i find it hard to *believe* that sarah palin would have let her daughter opt for an abortion. and i find it hard to *believe* that the girl is gung-ho to marry the rather vile young man who fathered the kind.

but, to be fair, i don't KNOW who made the decision, or how much freedom the girl has or does not have.  obviously, she had enough to get knocked-up in the first place.....

rune
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 05, 2008 - 12:11PM #5
Agnosticspirit
Hi Anna, how are you? :) I don't think an issue need to be made of this. It's unfortunate, but Palin isn't the first or last parent to have an unmarried, pregnant teenage daughter on their hands. Perhaps this will give them a little cause for pause in regard to their thinking that  abstinence only family planning is the right way to go.

Regardless of my ill opinion I have for Palin's extreme right wing view, I do have compassion for her daughter, for her family and hope the other side will leave them out of it. There's so many other irresistible reasons NOT to vote for McCain/Palin!! ;)
Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 05, 2008 - 1:59PM #6
Tmarie64

Yodalady_AA wrote:

So the bombshell burst,  Sarah Pailin's daughter is pregnant, 17, and not yet married.   Any parent's worst scenerio
Yodalady

I do have to disagree with this one line.   I know people who have had a daughter, kidnapped, raped, killed, and never returned to them.... THAT would be my worst scenario.
A teen ager getting knocked up... not a good thing, but not the worst by a long shot.

I cannot stress enough that her pregnancy is not, in my eyes, a reflection on her mother. 

AS... Nope, they won't rethink the abstinence only policy because they are the "moral" ones.  They believe that teaching kids about safe sex, birth control, and the diseases that can be contracted from sex is the same as telling the kids to go out and have sex with everything that will lay still long enough.

James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 05, 2008 - 6:45PM #7
Agnosticspirit

Tmarie64 wrote:

AS... Nope, they won't rethink the abstinence only policy because they are the "moral" ones.  They believe that teaching kids about safe sex, birth control, and the diseases that can be contracted from sex is the same as telling the kids to go out and have sex with everything that will lay still long enough.

People can surprise you! I know a pretty conservative couple in RL who've faced this as well. After their abstinence teaching resulted in pregnancy, they encouraged their unwed daughter to keep the baby and helped to raise him, and then promptly got her on the pill.... You know that old saying that a new liberal is an old conservative who's just been arrested? :rolleyes: Same principle applies.

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 08, 2008 - 5:43PM #8
TPaine
[QUOTE=agnosticspirit;743324]Hi Anna, how are you? :) I don't think an issue need to be made of this. It's unfortunate, but Palin isn't the first or last parent to have an unmarried, pregnant teenage daughter on their hands. Perhaps this will give them a little cause for pause in regard to their thinking that  abstinence only family planning is the right way to go.

Regardless of my ill opinion I have for Palin's extreme right wing view, I do have compassion for her daughter, for her family and hope the other side will leave them out of it. There's so many other irresistible reasons NOT to vote for McCain/Palin!! ;)[/QUOTE]

Spirit, given the family values of the Republican candidates is the topic here, would it be fair to mention that McCain attempted to obtain a license to marry Cindy before his divorce from Carole was final?
"The right of voting for representatives is the primary right by which other rights are protected. To take away this right is to reduce a man to slavery, for slavery consists in being subject to the will of another, and he that has not a vote in the election of representatives is in this case." Thomas Paine:
Dissertation on First Principles of Government (July 1795)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 08, 2008 - 8:09PM #9
Agnosticspirit

TPaine wrote:

Spirit, given the family values of the Republican candidates is the topic here, would it be fair to mention that McCain attempted to obtain a license to marry Cindy before his divorce from Carole was final?

LOL, I think it would! The GOP likes to make the claim that they're the keepers of the family faith, the moral majority yadda yadda urk!!! :eek: So they open the door to their hypocrisy.

Still, I personally don't plan to focus on McCain's divorce or Palin's family - there are soooooo many other reasons of BIBLICAL proportions that this dimwitted duo needs to be kept far from the White House. Imagine... McCain has a heart attack in the middle of a crisis with Russia and Georgia and now Palin has her finger on the nuclear warhead. I don't want her anywhere near the ability to carry off her version of  "god's will". Nope. Don't want her anywhere near that. McCain sold out the moderates to cater to the fundies and will lose as a result.

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 08, 2008 - 9:49PM #10
TPaine
[QUOTE=agnosticspirit;751208]LOL, I think it would! The GOP likes to make the claim that they're the keepers of the family faith, the moral majority yadda yadda urk!!! :eek: So they open the door to their hypocrisy.

Still, I personally don't plan to focus on McCain's divorce or Palin's family - there are soooooo many other reasons of BIBLICAL proportions that this dimwitted duo needs to be kept far from the White House. Imagine... McCain has a heart attack in the middle of a crisis with Russia and Georgia and now Palin has her finger on the nuclear warhead. I don't want her anywhere near the ability to carry off her version of  "god's will". Nope. Don't want her anywhere near that. McCain sold out the moderates to cater to the fundies and will lose as a result.[/QUOTE]

I can't argue with that. People who are looking forward to the rapture and Armageddon should be kept at least 100 miles from the nuclear trigger.
"The right of voting for representatives is the primary right by which other rights are protected. To take away this right is to reduce a man to slavery, for slavery consists in being subject to the will of another, and he that has not a vote in the election of representatives is in this case." Thomas Paine:
Dissertation on First Principles of Government (July 1795)
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook